follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #15
Assphalt
86 noober

Drives: Asphalt FRS, 90' CRX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I dont understand why the manual suggests to keep it under 4k for break in, yet I keep hearing from some trusted people that you should be having a lot of fun during the break in. I just bought my frs 2 weeks ago and I havent been babying it, hard to control myself! What did everyone else do?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Assphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:45 AM   #16
JP
Backyard Fabricator

Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
you shouldn't have oil burning issues if you're loading the engine up
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #17
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Yeah. Interesting.

Do I understand correctly that Toyota paid for these repairs?
Yes, I never paid a dime for any of these repairs thus far, all covered under warranty. I was also provided a courtesy car (2014 Corolla S) for the duration of the repairs, free of charge.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #18
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktherod View Post
Yes, I never paid a dime for any of these repairs thus far, all covered under warranty. I was also provided a courtesy car (2014 Corolla S) for the duration of the repairs, free of charge.

That may be the most important clue, indirect as it is.

If Toyota had reason to believe the proximate cause of this engine failure was user negligence, I have to believe they'd balk at paying for this.

If Toyota uncomplainingly paid for this major malfunction, it leads me to suspect that they know something they're not admitting to you.

I wonder what that might be?

I would certainly be interested in hearing how this plays out. Perhaps you might press them for an explanation. You're certainly entitled to one, especially if you have any intention of keeping this car.

At this juncture, were I in your shoes, I would not want that car any longer; I'd want them to buy it back from me.

Whatever happens, I'm sorry to hear of these problems you're experiencing. You seem remarkably calm about it all.

I wish you the best of luck, and I'll keep an eye out for further reports from you.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:07 AM   #19
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, DANG, eriktherod ......that's a nasty series of events .....

So, I figure if the engine was "burning" oil at the rate of 4 quarts for 2,000 miles ...... it would be leaving a visible smoke screen behind it.

I would wonder if the proper amount of oil was put in it at the last oil change .. ??

I figure the bearing spun because it was thirsty for oil .... not that bearing went bad and caused the massive oil loss.

Well, let's hope the next engine holds up better ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #20
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I wonder if you have a cam plate leak like others have had.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:13 AM   #21
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
You know what's scary?

You can have rod knock from a spun bearing, and STILL not have a check engine light.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
boxer 2.5 (03-11-2014), Canehda (08-09-2014), Hawaiian (03-07-2014), Marchy (03-07-2014), Pete156 (03-07-2014), SkAsphalt (03-12-2014), strat61caster (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 02:23 AM   #22
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
This is crazy! WOW!
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:55 AM   #23
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktherod View Post
I am fairly sure I only had about 2,000 miles on that oil change, so I can't imagine it would be low unless there was an issue.
Did you check the oil after the dealership (I assume since you mentioned a care package) changed it? Nothing wrong if you didn't, just curious as to root cause.

I'd gamble the greasemonkey screwed up, 4 quarts don't disappear overnight, considering capacity is nearly 6 quarts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
If Toyota had reason to believe the proximate cause of this engine failure was user negligence, I have to believe they'd balk at paying for this.

If Toyota uncomplainingly paid for this major malfunction, it leads me to suspect that they know something they're not admitting to you.

I wonder what that might be?

At this juncture, were I in your shoes, I would not want that car any longer; I'd want them to buy it back from me.
I agree, I think his saving grace was the dealership maintenance record. How can you point the finger saying the owner neglected it when all evidence says the owner followed the book to a T? Agreed I would be hesitant to give the car a third chance, you bet your ass I'd be going to a different service department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assphalt View Post
I dont understand why the manual suggests to keep it under 4k for break in, yet I keep hearing from some trusted people that you should be having a lot of fun during the break in.
This topic has had gigabytes of speculation from enthusiasts. The bottom line is do you trust the engineers who designed the car or the aftermarket community. Two sides are 'you need to be hard on the engine to get everything seated properly' or 'you need to be easy on the powertrain to wear in the friction surfaces'.

One of the big arguments is that the cars are all 'broken in' from the factory so you don't have to do any break in when you take ownership, to me that just doubles down on the idea of following OEM recommendation of taking it easy. You likely won't harm anything either way.

Hope everything goes well OP, you're definitely taking it in stride.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #24
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
As above, there's no way 4 quarts of oil is burning away that quickly ! What's more amazing is that the engine sensors never noticed it ? Not even an oil light ? Odd :/ Always a great idea to double / triple check the oil level after service when you get home as dealers are always moving at a rate of knots that even the best of them screw up occasionally - I recently had mine done 1st service & immediately smelt an oil/grease burning odour upon start up when I picked it up. When I got home I checked the oil, then I checked a second & third time to confirm the $hit I was seeing - overfill by 1.25L = 1.3Q ! !

I reckon you either had little oil in it to begin with or a faulty bearing/block. Wish you the best.
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #25
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your car issues. That'd be very odd if you spun another bearing in such a short time. What kind of oil were you using?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #26
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
At least it seems they are covering it without question. This is very interesting... maybe suggest that they do an entire long block replacement. It's obvious the swapping the shortblock just led to the same failure... which reduces the chances that the issue was with either of the shortblocks themselves.

And on the STI, I was running low (half) compression in 1 or 2 cylinders, no check engine light, and still not a noticeable hit in mpg.
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #27
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assphalt View Post
I dont understand why the manual suggests to keep it under 4k for break in, yet I keep hearing from some trusted people that you should be having a lot of fun during the break in. I just bought my frs 2 weeks ago and I havent been babying it, hard to control myself! What did everyone else do?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Today's engines are manufactured to handle just about any abuse you can throw at them. There was just an article in car and driver where they talked about the durability test used for modern day production engines. They are designed to handle abuse and neglect from the get-go. I followed the manufacturers suggestions for break-in. Just makes sense to me that all these new components and surfaces need to be broken in and form wear patterns that will last their entire service life. I've done this with all my cars and have had good experiences over the last 45 years of ownership. I don't think these practices and break in procedures are as important as they used to be in the past. But I feel it can't hurt to drive it easy for the first thousand miles or so..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #28
P5yk0t1c

Drives: 2014 FR-S
I had almost the same thing happen to me. Your description of the noise was identical. Although when I heard the noise, I knew and drove straight to the dealership...it stalled out right when I parked (no CEL or any warning lights as well). This was a 2013 FR-S at 7,000kms (4,300miles) only mods were catback EVO 3 exhaust. Found out the next day motor was shot...new shortblock...etc. After that, it never had the same power it did before and kept have multiple CEL lights. I had the car for 6 months.... 3 of those months it was in the shop. After the 12th time taking it in I wrote an email to Toyota Canada and fought with them to take the car back. They wanted to keep repairing it, so I filled out all the paper work to take them to court on a Thursday, protested with a few signs in front of one of their dealerships on Saturday. Had a brand new 2014 FR-S on Monday.

This car has been great! I do understand the standpoint of Toyota as well, as they can't just give everyone a new car because they have a few problems.

My story: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...light=p5yk0t1c
P5yk0t1c is offline   Reply With Quote