follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
nibor33

Drives: SSM BRZ-L 6MT (gone)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Two SWP automatics available in Chicagoland

This is not a classified ad, I do not represent the dealer at all.

Grand Subaru in Bensenville, IL, has two available SWP automatics coming in at the end of May, one premium (with optional spoiler) and one limited. They have VINs and ETAs.

They offered me one of these cars (I don't have an ETA) but I am set on getting a limited manual.

I'm posting this for two reasons. First, they've told me they are committed to selling at MSRP, so I figured I can help out forum members by posting this. If you're interested, call them on Monday. My salesperson is Joe, and FWIW, he's been nice and communicative, but nothing above and beyond, either. Bill is an enthusiast (autocrosses a WRX) so he's an option, too.

Second, I'm a little confused. I was supposed to be second on the list, but a forum member PMed me to tell me he thought I was third, and a dealer order was before me (a car they ordered for the showroom). I ordered on 3/2. They are telling me I really am #2, but that all of a sudden they are getting two "extra" cars.

Well, I don't believe it, I think they were dealer orders and I'm #4 instead of #2. I think it's shady, but since I have an MSRP order, and I'm in no real rush, I'm fine with keeping my order with them. Unless somebody can point me to a SWP or SSM limited manual with an ETA for MSRP in the Midwest that is available.

The only other theory I have come up with is what if that first boat, with mostly automatics, was carrying a bunch of non-ordered cars? Automatics make more sense for demos. Could SOA have planned this all along? Would they, considering there were so many pre-orders? Why waste the production on "extras?"
nibor33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nibor33 For This Useful Post:
NWIguy (05-07-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Phaedrus29

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Perhaps they produced too many automatics because they thought us Americans would buy autos....dunno, just an idea.
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
nibor33

Garage
^ I did think of that a couple of times, too... Sounds quite reasonable, actually...
Old 05-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus29 View Post
Perhaps they produced too many automatics because they thought us Americans would buy autos....dunno, just an idea.
There was a thread on here somewhere where an SOA rep said that they initially figured on a 70-30 ratio of autos to manuals for the US...hard to confirm whether that's true but this would be evidence of that...
Since I have an auto on order...that works in my favor...but still find it hard to believe the ratio would be that high...so many want a manual...but that's based on this site where enthusiasts that will be partial to manual tend to gather
I wish I wanted SWP...I'd be on my way there now. By the time I got back my break-in would be over!
DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
^ Doesn't make a lot of sense when pre-orders started officially entering the system on March 1st while production got underway March 18th, meaning that they already knew most pre-orders for the first 18 days were for MT instead of AT.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy83 View Post
^ Doesn't make a lot of sense when pre-orders started officially entering the system on March 1st while production got underway March 18th, meaning that they already knew most pre-orders for the first 18 days were for MT instead of AT.
Their production quantities, ratios, etc were established FAR before the first orders came in. It just doesn't work that way. They had suppliers and or their internal manufacturing ramped up well in advance of the day they started putting the pieces together.
Now they may adjust as they go forward but that still means they need to use up all those auto tranny's and other components specific to certain builds.
DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC1 View Post
Their production quantities, ratios, etc were established FAR before the first orders came in. It just doesn't work that way. They had suppliers and or their internal manufacturing ramped up well in advance of the day they started putting the pieces together.
Now they may adjust as they go forward but that still means they need to use up all those auto tranny's and other components specific to certain builds.
I understand obviously things did not "start" March 1st. But, you can be sure they took a hard look at what people were ordering and adjusted accordingly. All those auto tranny's will be used sooner or later regardless. Its not like they went out and got a massive amount of auto tranny's that cannot be used in any other car (IS350)
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
NWIguy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibor33 View Post
This is not a classified ad, I do not represent the dealer at all.

Grand Subaru in Bensenville, IL, has two available SWP automatics coming in at the end of May, one premium (with optional spoiler) and one limited. They have VINs and ETAs.

They offered me one of these cars (I don't have an ETA) but I am set on getting a limited manual.

I'm posting this for two reasons. First, they've told me they are committed to selling at MSRP, so I figured I can help out forum members by posting this. If you're interested, call them on Monday. My salesperson is Joe, and FWIW, he's been nice and communicative, but nothing above and beyond, either. Bill is an enthusiast (autocrosses a WRX) so he's an option, too.

Second, I'm a little confused. I was supposed to be second on the list, but a forum member PMed me to tell me he thought I was third, and a dealer order was before me (a car they ordered for the showroom). I ordered on 3/2. They are telling me I really am #2, but that all of a sudden they are getting two "extra" cars.

Well, I don't believe it, I think they were dealer orders and I'm #4 instead of #2. I think it's shady, but since I have an MSRP order, and I'm in no real rush, I'm fine with keeping my order with them. Unless somebody can point me to a SWP or SSM limited manual with an ETA for MSRP in the Midwest that is available.

The only other theory I have come up with is what if that first boat, with mostly automatics, was carrying a bunch of non-ordered cars? Automatics make more sense for demos. Could SOA have planned this all along? Would they, considering there were so many pre-orders? Why waste the production on "extras?"

Wow THANK YOU SO MUCH for this Info man. I pre ordered mine at autobarn subaru in countryside,il and I am very disappointed with them cause of their lack of communication and updates. Recently I was able to get my VON from them and checked on SOA and they told me my car is still on wait list. If this is true? I would withdraw my deposit from them since this car that you're talkin about already has ETA and VIN.
NWIguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
nibor33

Garage
OK, so NWIguy got the SWP limited... there is one left with a 5/29 delivery date...

WRB automatic premium, with spoiler

Edit: this may be a limited. You'll have to check with the dealer.

Last edited by nibor33; 05-08-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Unsure of model availability
The Following User Says Thank You to nibor33 For This Useful Post:
NWIguy (05-08-2012)