follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #15
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I literally zip tied my license on the black plastic grill part. It's not a fancy set up but it's clean and i've kept on eye on the temp gauge since it's in front of the radiator. Everything has been good for the 6+ months that it's been on. I got tired of paying no tag fees so decided to do that.
dchan (04-25-2017), Tcoat (04-24-2017), ~el~jefe~ (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #16
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Like I said I have the Skene and it is off to the side, adjusted down, and tilted in a way that it will never come in contact with the paint. For the only corner that may, its a long shot that it will, I put 1/4 inch weather stripping.

That picture I posted of it, just slide the plate down and tilt the bottom back a little and there is no chance of it touching the paint.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #17
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
I have the grimmspeed relocater and it saved my front bumper from bad drivers. The u-shape metal piece is mashed half to hell but it still works!
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #18
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
It does seem to be a good solution. I think it is either: OEM mount as usual, or your magnet thing. I see how the skene is kind of cool, but would cut in on one light push. Those magnets hold it straight, no tilt at higher speeds? If i was planning on going super speeds, I would simply take it off I guess.
the OEM bracket is self-leveling - it can't really tilt. if anything, driving faster might just make it more secure as the wind is pushing it against the bumper. i don't know - haven't had it fall off yet under 'normal speeds'. i'm not sure whether our cars go 'super speed'.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #19
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Just to add to the mix.
Not exactly 100% legal, but I did have a state trooper look and laugh and said OK.

On an other note I was at a track airing up my tires when a guy came up behind me and ran into the back of my car. He got out and said he was sorry because he had not pumped up the brakes after changing pads then looked at the damage to his car and told me that his would not have been hurt so bad if I did not have those D** recovery things in the back. Damage to mine was $400. his was a lot worse. I leave mine on even on the road now.
Attached Images

ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 AM   #20
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap5512 View Post
I literally zip tied my license on the black plastic grill part. It's not a fancy set up but it's clean and i've kept on eye on the temp gauge since it's in front of the radiator. Everything has been good for the 6+ months that it's been on. I got tired of paying no tag fees so decided to do that.
That is like straight up hood. You would be hood glory if you used torn bodega black plastic baggies as ties for it though.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #21
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Quote:
That is like straight up hood. You would be hood glory if you used torn bodega black plastic baggies as ties for it though.
That was my original plan but then changed my mind to zip ties...

because...Aerodynamics..duh.
~el~jefe~ (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #22
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
I would argue that the other bumper mounted option is no more "beefy" than ours, considering it's made of the same thickness of metal. In fact, the design of the metal backing plate on theirs is a lot less strong than our metal backing plate, just by design.

The U-Bracket that bolts between the tow hook bolt and our backing plate is probably the most ingenious part of our design. Not only does it allow for the most amount of adjustability so you can put the plate just where you want it, but it will act as the relocation kits "crumple zone" in the event of a hit. If that somehow gets destroyed, you call us, and for a couple of bucks we'll send you another one.

If someone backs into you hard enough to do damage to the plate holder, if you had no plate holder in place they would probably do the exact same amount of damage, scuff, scratch, remove paint, whatever. If someone is backing into you hard enough to damage the relocation kit and push the plate into the bumper causing scratches from the plate, chances are they were going to do damage to your car without the kit.

The bolt itself would have to take a very severe hit to damage it, and even then I don't know if you're going to do any significant damage to it. You have to remember that these tow hook mounts are literally designed to pull the entire weight of the car, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could lift it vertically with it.

So from experience (thousands of these sold, we make them for a lot of cars), I've never heard of anyone complaining about "massive damage from a slight tap." And I'd rather have them damaging the relocation kit, than my car. So I don't think you really have anything to worry about. Also, typically people hit the dead middle or driver side of you car when parallel parking, which the relocation kit is out of the way of.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #23
spd

Drives: wrx, brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
there is not parking in New York City for under $36 for a little while unless you parallel park a car.
You have to use parkingpanda or parkwhiz to find better spots. There's a lot of covered garages for $20-25/3hr depending on what area you're going to. I generally park further out of Manhattan at cheaper spots and take an Uber or subway in.
spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #24
~el~jefe~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
I would argue that the other bumper mounted option is no more "beefy" than ours, considering it's made of the same thickness of metal. In fact, the design of the metal backing plate on theirs is a lot less strong than our metal backing plate, just by design.

The U-Bracket that bolts between the tow hook bolt and our backing plate is probably the most ingenious part of our design. Not only does it allow for the most amount of adjustability so you can put the plate just where you want it, but it will act as the relocation kits "crumple zone" in the event of a hit. If that somehow gets destroyed, you call us, and for a couple of bucks we'll send you another one.

If someone backs into you hard enough to do damage to the plate holder, if you had no plate holder in place they would probably do the exact same amount of damage, scuff, scratch, remove paint, whatever. If someone is backing into you hard enough to damage the relocation kit and push the plate into the bumper causing scratches from the plate, chances are they were going to do damage to your car without the kit.

The bolt itself would have to take a very severe hit to damage it, and even then I don't know if you're going to do any significant damage to it. You have to remember that these tow hook mounts are literally designed to pull the entire weight of the car, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could lift it vertically with it.

So from experience (thousands of these sold, we make them for a lot of cars), I've never heard of anyone complaining about "massive damage from a slight tap." And I'd rather have them damaging the relocation kit, than my car. So I don't think you really have anything to worry about. Also, typically people hit the dead middle or driver side of you car when parallel parking, which the relocation kit is out of the way of.

Chase
Engineering
I hate to say this as I like to see people have good business, but....

it would do more damage during a slight tap at 1mph while some is parallel parking than a simple plastic black bumper being tapped. It also has a lot of leverage being a stick sticking out of the bumper, on an angle of any kind it would bend something unholy. That being said, almost no one on these forums parallel parks their brz with this anywhere in a real city where it would matter. I might be the only person on here that would. I like the look, love the idea, and love how I can just take it off and on for photos or when I go to another state and no one cares. I think it is a great product, just problematic for me and the pieces of crap animals that exist in New York City.

Parallel parking in NY City is done on either side. If you parallel park on the left side of the road, that tow hook area is the dominant target.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #25
~el~jefe~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd View Post
You have to use parkingpanda or parkwhiz to find better spots. There's a lot of covered garages for $20-25/3hr depending on what area you're going to. I generally park further out of Manhattan at cheaper spots and take an Uber or subway in.
thank you for that information
Old 04-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #26
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
This is getting silly, El Jefe your totally overthinking this if you don't the like relocation mounts because of how they look that's one thing...

but look it sits flush with the nose of the car.. its not poking out a mile. Anyone who bumps it during parallel parking is going to collide with your bumper first.

your acting as if a tap to this relocation mount is going to trigger your car to explode.
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VIP BRZ For This Useful Post:
GrimmSpeed (04-25-2017), tCsonfrs (04-29-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #27
~el~jefe~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post
This is getting silly, El Jefe your totally overthinking this if you don't the like relocation mounts because of how they look that's one thing...

but look it sits flush with the nose of the car.. its not poking out a mile. Anyone who bumps it during parallel parking is going to collide with your bumper first.

your acting as if a tap to this relocation mount is going to trigger your car to explode.
You dont live or park in ny city. Tapping is 4000lbs moving steadily crushing against a lever that is stuck into the frame of the car. Nice squeaking crushing bending tap of idiot drivers who have no concept of money and are just pigs without souls.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #28
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post

Thank you VIP BRZ for posting that angle. It almost could not be any more flush with the bumper, and is carefully designed to do so.

Quote:
That being said, almost no one on these forums parallel parks their brz with this anywhere in a real city where it would matter.

We've sold literally thousands of these kits, with many being in the same state, and even the same city you live in. I promise you're not the only one.

Even if I can tout with YEARS of experience, multiple platforms, and thousands of kits sold, and great reviews, I can see that you still don't believe me. That's cool! I was just trying to help out. it's obviously not going to make you happy, so I can't recommend it.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-30-2017), tCsonfrs (04-29-2017)