follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #29
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvey View Post
MY2015 has new suspension. Notable upgrade. This isn't mentioned much because most people don't care about real performance, but instead want to slam their cars 2" lower to the ground or taillights that look like vaginas.
What a riot, hahaha, too funny. I don't know why, but I just thought of those Valenti tail lights and then a bunch of exotic dancers with Tron outlines.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #30
marvey

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
At the end of the day, it's Toyota calling the shots. Historically, Toyota has made only incremental changes about every other year to cars like Celica, MR-2, MR-S, etc. Although Camry has had a significant refresh recently; but Camry is a huge huge seller. I'm betting most of the changes going forward will be cosmetic. I mean what is Toyota going to do? Offer an LSD? Already has one. Offer a rearview camera? Adds a small amount of weight and complexity.

As for more power, I think people seriously need to stop dreaming (or get their heads out of their asses). I doubt we'll see much more power if at all. More power will require better brakes, tires, wheels. These things affect the bottom line. More power will also affect fuel efficiency, which is a more serious consideration in Japan and Europe. Also a major refresh would require Toyota to collaborate with Subaru again. And this time around, the engineers may actually kill each other (not to mention Subaru may not be happy with cannibalization of the WRX). Too much pride at stake. Too soon. Maybe in four to five years, or if sales start to dive. But if sales dive too much too quickly, Toyota will be more likely to shit can the car.

If the GT86 doesn't look right at this moment, best to consider another car.
marvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #31
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
unless competitors such as miata or silvia becoming a serious threat, i dont think toyota/subaru would want to waste their money into R&D for serious power gain. if you want more power, than you move to next segment such as supra.
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #32
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2th View Post
unless competitors such as miata or silvia becoming a serious threat, i dont think toyota/subaru would want to waste their money into R&D for serious power gain. if you want more power, than you move to next segment such as supra.
The ecoboost mustang will likely steer potential buyers from the twins. Sure it weighs more, but the horsepower gap is huge, and handling in the Mustang will likely be improved with IRS. Not to mention they are almost identical in price.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
MightyMeeple (08-22-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #33
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
The ecoboost mustang will likely steer potential buyers from the twins. Sure it weighs more, but the horsepower gap is huge, and handling in the Mustang will likely be improved with IRS. Not to mention they are almost identical in price.
I felt that is different segment because GT86's core principle (which should be same as AE86) is light weight econo sports touring and hence massive power is not really the objection. otherwise toyota could just throw a camry v6 engine and the GT86 would just fly
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #34
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
At the end of the day, it's Toyota calling the shots. Historically, Toyota has made only incremental changes about every other year to cars like Celica, MR-2, MR-S, etc. Although Camry has had a significant refresh recently; but Camry is a huge huge seller. I'm betting most of the changes going forward will be cosmetic. I mean what is Toyota going to do? Offer an LSD? Already has one. Offer a rearview camera? Adds a small amount of weight and complexity.

As for more power, I think people seriously need to stop dreaming (or get their heads out of their asses). I doubt we'll see much more power if at all. More power will require better brakes, tires, wheels. These things affect the bottom line. More power will also affect fuel efficiency, which is a more serious consideration in Japan and Europe. Also a major refresh would require Toyota to collaborate with Subaru again. And this time around, the engineers may actually kill each other (not to mention Subaru may not be happy with cannibalization of the WRX). Too much pride at stake. Too soon. Maybe in four to five years, or if sales start to dive. But if sales dive too much too quickly, Toyota will be more likely to shit can the car.

If the GT86 doesn't look right at this moment, best to consider another car.
Not saying the car will get more power OEM but here are some corrections to your claims.

AW11 MR2 went from 4age (1984) to 4agze (1988) with an SC. I have one.
SW20 MR2 Went from 5SFE to 3SGTE.
ZZW30 MRS (They just call it that in japan, it's MR2 everywhere else) Went from 1zz to 1zz turbo.

Celica T160 went from 4AFE to 3SGTE AWD.
Celica T180 went from 4AFE to 3SGTE AWD.
Celica T200 went from 7AFE to 3SGTE AWD.
Celica T230 went from 1ZZ to 2ZZ.

As for rear view camera adding weight, my dump weighs more than that on a daily basis.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #35
marvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Not saying the car will get more power OEM but here are some corrections to your claims.

AW11 MR2 went from 4age (1984) to 4agze (1988) with an SC. I have one.
SW20 MR2 Went from 5SFE to 3SGTE.
ZZW30 MRS (They just call it that in japan, it's MR2 everywhere else) Went from 1zz to 1zz turbo.

Celica T160 went from 4AFE to 3SGTE AWD.
Celica T180 went from 4AFE to 3SGTE AWD.
Celica T200 went from 7AFE to 3SGTE AWD.
Celica T230 went from 1ZZ to 2ZZ.

As for rear view camera adding weight, my dump weighs more than that on a daily basis.
Thanks for citing ancient history (when Duran Duran ruled the airwaves), wholly different generations of Celica, and last gasp before we kill it special editions of MR-S only sold in UK as evidence of "mid-cycle" refreshes with significant changes.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #36
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
funny... my 2013 has non of those issues...
Mine has had every... single... one...

I'm actually getting sick and tired of having to go to the dealer. The chirping? Wasn't so bad when I first got the car. The dealer that did my first oil change mentioned a part sku replace that would "Fix it". -- Now it chirps louder. Windows? Goin in next week because on top of squealing, the passenger got stuck 1/2 down in the rain when my G/F wanted to throw her gum out.

I've had dash lift, window squeaking, chirping, radiator explode, rattle in the trunk, rattle in the back seat, I've had moisture in the brake lights, and two exhaust leaks.

I fucking love my car and I am considering getting rid of it. I don't even track the car. This is just DD for the vehicle which is 90% city. Add to it the thin-ass paint that gets chewed apart from the rocks and I'm just exhausted.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #37
s2d4

Quote:
Thanks for citing ancient history (when Duran Duran ruled the airwaves), wholly different generations of Celica, and last gasp before we kill it special editions of MR-S only sold in UK as evidence of "mid-cycle" refreshes with significant changes.
You are the one that brought it up and you are now calling it ancient history?
Regardless it is still an MR2 but JDM yo.
Face it, you were out of your depth on the subject.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #38
s2d4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrielas View Post
Mine has had every... single... one...

I'm actually getting sick and tired of having to go to the dealer. The chirping? Wasn't so bad when I first got the car. The dealer that did my first oil change mentioned a part sku replace that would "Fix it". -- Now it chirps louder. Windows? Goin in next week because on top of squealing, the passenger got stuck 1/2 down in the rain when my G/F wanted to throw her gum out.

I've had dash lift, window squeaking, chirping, radiator explode, rattle in the trunk, rattle in the back seat, I've had moisture in the brake lights, and two exhaust leaks.

I fucking love my car and I am considering getting rid of it. I don't even track the car. This is just DD for the vehicle which is 90% city. Add to it the thin-ass paint that gets chewed apart from the rocks and I'm just exhausted.
People still throw gum out the window?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #39
GreenMonster
Just doing research

Drives: 03 Acura CLS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I'm looking at both. Two different cars tho'. I just have to decide if I want a sportscar or a musclecar.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #40
marvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
You are the one that brought it up and you are now
Face it, you were out of your depth on the subject.
I cede to your superior wikipedia skills.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #41
s2d4

Quote:
I cede to your superior wikipedia skills.
Lol, the fact that you think I got that off wikipedia just cements how little you knew.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #42
F1fletch

Drives: 13 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
I'm looking at both. Two different cars tho'. I just have to decide if I want a sportscar or a musclecar.
Totally true, not even in the same segment just close in price perhaps. Ours is a sports car, with all it's imperfections is a true 2700lb sports car. The Stang is a 3500+ Lb Eco boost muscle car, I would choose over a Kamarro yes but never over my Freakin Rad Scooter
F1fletch is offline   Reply With Quote