follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
Daedex
That One Guy

Drives: White 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do you guys secure the side skirts and front lip well?

I bought side skirts and the front lip for my BRZ off of ebay, and the screws they give are horrible, and they dont seem to properly secure the front lip and side skirts well, because mine are falling off

Any suggestions? Do you guys use glue, or special screws I dont know about?

Any advice or help is appreciated.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:36 AM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Fasteners in conjunction with 3M automotive double sided molding tape
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
Daedex (07-19-2019), why? (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
I just went with OEM .

The TRD side skirts come with hardware (clips, screws) and 3M. Install very easily and securely. Holes were already on my car.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Daedex (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Azzudien

Drives: 2017 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Had the dealer install the STI lip and side skirts. Mainly held on by the 3M tape. Nothing has moved and my car regularly sees 120mph speeds at the track.
Azzudien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azzudien For This Useful Post:
Daedex (07-20-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedex View Post
Any advice or help is appreciated.
The first step that I take is to research and buy quality parts - not source them from eBay; I don't mean to sound discouraging, but there's more than a few reasons for the axiom "you get what you pay for"; there is little to no quality-control for such parts, they are often "one-size-fits-all" (even if labeled as being "model-specific") w/ no warranty, and they're made of cheap(er) materials that can warp/crack easily under forces present while driving, or outlying temperatures (you're probably familiar with this, being in Arizona.)

If you believe that the headache and longer-term issues inherent with cheap/replica parts are really worth the cost-savings, then these are the things that you'll have to be prepared to accept, so - that being said, the next step is to find yourself a legit hardware store with a large selection of/specializing in fasteners (we're not talking Home Depot/Lowe's.)

You're best-bet is to confirm that the size of the bolts/hardware supplied is the correct size and head for the application (flange, hex, etc. - again, most of these "kits" are one-size-fits-all, and often come with downsized bolts/hardware for universal application - or even hardware meant for wood or other non-applicable materials.)

Depending on what hardware was included, and at what points the parts are intended to be affixed to the car - you might need to pick up a few washers, etc.

Things that will help you after that/are often utilized even with quality/OEM parts are things like 3M double-sided automotive tape (I also purchased some 3M adhesive promoter to use in-conjunction, which makes the bond crazy-strong, but can be hard to source locally; here is a link to the exact item I'm referring to - https://tinyurl.com/3M-Adhesive-Promoter .)

In addition, you could utilize a thread-locker (Loctite, etc.) and/or add a bit of Emblem/Plastic/Trim adhesive that's made by 3M and a number of other brands, and can be purchased at most automotive-based retail stores - just be advised that if you plan on removing the parts at a later time, you'll want the area to be well-heated and to use extreme care, so that the paint underneath doesn't get damaged/peel off.

For the sake of being thorough and which I assume you're aware of, you'll want to ensure the area(s) where the parts are being mounted to are cleaned very, very well and wiped down with rubbing alcohol prior to application (not an adhesive/tar remover - if you plan on utilizing any sort of tape and/or glue, and ensure that any wax/non-permanent sealant has been stripped/removed from the area prior to starting the installation.)

GL with the project, and hopefully some of this will prove to be helpful to you.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
GhostRai
Rice Monkey

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Buy your own quality hardware (well nuts are decent to use), If you got a tS-style front lip (since your profile lists a 2017 BRZ), I would look up the official oem part's instruction manual and use that to help guide you on how to install it since the repro is pretty close. There probably will be minor fitment issues along with lower finish quality. As for side skirts, the tS ones use screws into the wheel well as the CS style one strictly is meant to screw into the rocker panel (idk if 3M tape is strong enough long term). I see the appeal of repro items since they can cost almost 1/3 the price of the OEM, but just be prepared to spend a bit of money ontop for paint, or proper hardware.

"Why must everything that is broken be fixed?"
GhostRai is offline   Reply With Quote