follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #113
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If it can be done. Why not?

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #114
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@cf6mech:

Ya...I am no fan of FI neither. I loved NA in my old EG in the 90s; but really disliked the turbo on my S13 w SR20 after that.

As much as I'd love to stick with an import engine...import turbo engines are just too complex (for me anyways..I prefer a responsive NA), too many problems and fiddling with every little component/part (wastegate, bov, piping, air leaks, sensors, fuel, backfires, turbo lag, etc., etc. etc.).

LSx does indeed sound like the most bang for the buck. And it's NA too

I'll be honest though....I'm an import nerd, so the sound of a powerful domestic V8 that americans seem to really cream/fanboy over was never my thing. I prefer the sound of a high revving Porsche, NA super car (Ferrari,Lambo, LFA), or a LeMans or F1 car...they just sound much more tuned and sexy to me, than a growly domestic V8 ...but I guess I can maybe learn to love the sound of an LSx engine over time lol :P

Wtf do I care anyways lol? ...it's not like I can ever afford an LSx swap anyways haha. ....maybe if I win 2nd place in the lotto, or if a bag of cash accidentally falls out of an armored truck
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #115
fooddude
Banned

How much do you estimate a complete Vorshlag install would be with a parts/pricelist?

Vorshlag kit (mounts, all wiring ecu, hoses/piping, engine accrs/belts/alt/ac/starter/rad/etc/etc, fuel pump, header, exh, driveshaft, etc etc) $?
LSx $?
Tranny $?
Additional required bits not included in kit $?

Just want to know the rough estimate of it completed, and whats included in the kit and what's not included.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #116
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
How much do you estimate a complete Vorshlag install would be with a parts/pricelist?

Vorshlag kit (mounts, all wiring ecu, hoses/piping, engine accrs/belts/alt/ac/starter/rad/etc/etc, fuel pump, header, exh, driveshaft, etc etc) $?
LSx $?
Tranny $?
Additional required bits not included in kit $?

Just want to know the rough estimate of it completed, and whats included in the kit and what's not included.
Depends on if you are using a new engine/trans or one sourced from a yard. The price difference is astronomical.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #117
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A 500 $ junkyard lq9 plus 100 $ at the local machine shop, a genuine GM parts rebuild kit, a harborfreight pipe bender and some ebay turbos will make more hp per dollar then you could ever imagine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Mooseknuckle44 (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #118
fooddude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
Depends on if you are using a new engine/trans or one sourced from a yard. The price difference is astronomical.
Yes, obviously.

What are used and new prices then for engine, and also trans? And, what about the price of the kit? And what does the kit include and what do you still need to buy?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #119
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Honestly the transmission is the most expensive part depending on power level. A built 4l60e is expensive. An lq9 can be really cheap.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #120
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I knew the moment I bought this car if I kept it long enough I would most likely swap an ls into it. Came within a millimeter of buying an ls swapped rx7 many years ago and the ls swap was desirable to me ever since.

Until then I am enjoying the fa20 with NA bolt ons....
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #121
fooddude
Banned

Is an LSx really even that good? I'm searching YouTube and all I see are turbo LSx powered Miatas and RX7s getting spanked left and right by 2JZ and even 4cyl K20 engines.

Dang, idk about you, but if I went through all that trouble to swap an LSx engine in my Twin (and also the feeling of guilt from putting a domestic engine in my japanese car), just to get wasted by a Japanese engine I could've gotten in the first place instead..I'd be feeling pretty bad lol.

Idk if the LSx is really the best choice. I never was a fan of American cars and I can't imagine myself liking American engines either. I think I'd stick with a 2JZ or 3-4 Rotor instead if I was doing the swap. 2jz would be nice since it's a toyota too ....I know it might be heavier, and it's also a turbo...but at least those 2 engines are proven and have lots of parts support like the LSx too already. Not to mention they'll sound nicer than a growly, obnoxious, arrogant, American V8.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #122
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Ive said it in this thread before. Most guys running the 2jz are using it because they already have one kicking around. Most newcomers are using ls's because well...its better. But since most of the guys that are using the 2jzs have been in the game longer (hence why they probably had a spare 2j lying around to swap in) are still winning. Give it time and look at the vicious performance build. Also look at nelson racing engines ls builds. Pump gas daily driven 1700hp engines.

fooddude (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #123
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Is an LSx really even that good? I'm searching YouTube and all I see are turbo LSx powered Miatas and RX7s getting spanked left and right by 2JZ and even 4cyl K20 engines.

Dang, idk about you, but if I went through all that trouble to swap an LSx engine in my Twin (and also the feeling of guilt from putting a domestic engine in my japanese car), just to get wasted by a Japanese engine I could've gotten in the first place instead..I'd be feeling pretty bad lol.

Idk if the LSx is really the best choice. I never was a fan of American cars and I can't imagine myself liking American engines either. I think I'd stick with a 2JZ or 3-4 Rotor instead if I was doing the swap. 2jz would be nice since it's a toyota too ....I know it might be heavier, and it's also a turbo...but at least those 2 engines are proven and have lots of parts support like the LSx too already. Not to mention they'll sound nicer than a growly, obnoxious, arrogant, American V8.
Do you also see the two guys in their Supras (around 800-900 hp levels) both blowing their engines after one race?

Longevity is the key here and nothing can come close to an LS-x series engine in that department with the cost factored in..if I had the funds LS powered FRS/BRZ would be an ultimate car, no doubt about it..
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (06-22-2014), fooddude (06-22-2014), suaveflooder (06-23-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #124
fooddude
Banned

Truuue ...no doubt turbo and/or 800+hp cars aren't meant to last lol.

I guess there really is no substitute for NA engines and/or Stock engines
The Following User Says Thank You to fooddude For This Useful Post:
glamcem (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #125
fooddude
Banned

I guess I can accept it as and look at it like an FA engine...just folded in half a little in the shape of a V and also 2 extra cylinders added to each side, lol. FA NA engine on steroids.

I guess I can nail down my decision and go the LSx route. Now.. where to get? and time to buy! *fantasy island*
Old 06-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #126
fooddude
Banned

How fast would a Twin be anyways with a stock NA LSx engine? Like 0-60, 1/4mi, top speed, etc? Would it be pretty fast?

And how much faster would it be than cars native to the LSx and come with the LSx from factory? (ie: corvettes, camaros and other factory LSx cars(?) I'm unaware of). I am assuming it would be significantly faster than LSx native cars since the Twin would probably weight 1k lbs less lol.

Would a stock 430hp/tq LSx NA powered Twin be able to beat stock Porsche Turbos, Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, stock GTRs, LFAs, etc etc?