follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
steveholt

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy muffler delete or catback?

Hey everyone, I am having difficulty choosing between a muffler delete or a catback exhaust system.

My ultimate goal for now is to strive for that deep, refined, non raspy, boxer rumble sound.

I plan on eventually going for a UEL catted header from ft86speedfactory+aftermarket overpipe in the long run.
and maybe a hi-flow catted front pipe or, a catless front pipe.

I am pretty sure I am going to keep everything NA and not FI due to finances for at least a couple years.

I am looking at the BERK duel tip muffler delete for the muffler delete
for catbacks, i am looking at the perrin resonated catback, nameless catback w/4" muffler or no muffler.

my question is, the aftermarket midpipe that catback systems have, are they that big of an upgrade to the stock overpipe? Not so much in the aspect of performance or gains but just sound. Do aftermarket midpipes via catback systems offer better sound than just the stock midpipe?
If i went with the duel tip muffler delete, would the sound be about the same with the stock midpipe compared to the aftermarket midpipe for the muffler delete?
The stock midpipe has a resonator if i am not mistaken, do majority of aftermarket midpipes have a resonator too? i'd imagine a midpipe w/o a resonator would be extremely raspy and not refined

What I can afford now is the muffler delete from berk as it is the most cost efficient, but i am afraid it might be too loud when the time comes to get the aftermarket header, overpipe, and front pipe.

thanks
steveholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Bobblehead

Drives: 2013 BRZ (gone) 2016 Ford Fusion SE
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
A muffler delete will almost certainly be too loud once you get a header.

But, you can get a muffler delete made at an exhaust shop for much cheaper than the berk, and it'll sound the same. Its piping, there's no magic smoke involved.

Catbacks and axlebacks aren't really much good in the way of power. One company, I think it was Nameless doesn't make a catback because they found the stock midpipe wasn't very restrictive.

Unless you're going to go FI, 3 inch piping usually isn't really needed from a performance standpoint. It'll be a lot louder and more expensive, but in the end it is your choice.

If I were you, I'd have an exhaust shop make a muffler delete and run it like that for a while and then get a header, and then play it by ear (lol pun). You'll still have your stock muffler if you feel the header + delete is too loud, and won't be out as much money.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
steveholt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
A muffler delete will almost certainly be too loud once you get a header.

But, you can get a muffler delete made at an exhaust shop for much cheaper than the berk, and it'll sound the same. Its piping, there's no magic smoke involved.

Catbacks and axlebacks aren't really much good in the way of power. One company, I think it was Nameless doesn't make a catback because they found the stock midpipe wasn't very restrictive.

Unless you're going to go FI, 3 inch piping usually isn't really needed from a performance standpoint. It'll be a lot louder and more expensive, but in the end it is your choice.

If I were you, I'd have an exhaust shop make a muffler delete and run it like that for a while and then get a header, and then play it by ear (lol pun). You'll still have your stock muffler if you feel the header + delete is too loud, and won't be out as much money.
thanks, at this point I am more focused on sound than anything.
i just want to make my first mod to my car and thought a muffler delete would be the most cost efficient.

are stock midpipes any narrower than aftermarket midpipes?
i couldn't find the diameter for either...
Old 03-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Muffler deletes are more of a race-only option IMO

Unless you really want a ticket.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kostamojen For This Useful Post:
Bobblehead (03-22-2015), kch (03-23-2015), steveholt (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
steveholt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Muffler deletes are more of a race-only option IMO

Unless you really want a ticket.
I sort of am considering it for the weight reduction as well.
The wheels and michelin pilot super sports are going to be considerably heavier than my stock wheels/tires.

If I were to go the route of the muffler delete I imagine I'd have to drive with discretion and situational awareness if I see that the fuzz is around
Old 03-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
thanks, at this point I am more focused on sound than anything.
i just want to make my first mod to my car and thought a muffler delete would be the most cost efficient.

are stock midpipes any narrower than aftermarket midpipes?
i couldn't find the diameter for either...
Hey fellow Illinois twin owner. I , myself had the same thought process as you and went with the muffler delete because it was all I could afford. The muffler delete is indeed loud but I love it and some of my car friends are jealous of the loud deep tone that it produces. I might be thinking about selling it soon and if you want to get them off my hands for me that would be cool.

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelbyat07 For This Useful Post:
golfyankee2121 (03-22-2015), steveholt (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
golfyankee2121
Always Moving Forward

Drives: 2013 Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OP here is a sound clip of my muffler delete so you can get an idea of how loud/not loud it is. I went to a local shop and had them just fab up a Y pipe, and weld on some quality tips. Everything else is stock. It can drone a bit right around 2K RPM, but I don't mind. I am going to run UEL headers with this same setup eventually lol.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxCRRGUbVGk"]2013 Scion FR-S Start Up and Rev Custom Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

Hope this helps!
--J.B.
golfyankee2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to golfyankee2121 For This Useful Post:
steveholt (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
steveholt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 View Post
Hey fellow Illinois twin owner. I , myself had the same thought process as you and went with the muffler delete because it was all I could afford. The muffler delete is indeed loud but I love it and some of my car friends are jealous of the loud deep tone that it produces. I might be thinking about selling it soon and if you want to get them off my hands for me that would be cool.
How come you're selling?
How much?
Is your's the Berk I am considering or a custom make from a shop?
Old 03-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Quote:
How come you're selling?
How much?
Is your's the Berk I am considering or a custom make from a shop?
Haven't put a price on it but around 240. And I'm selling it because I want to be a doctor and I don't think it would be professional to drive a loud car through the hospital. It's not loud that your ears will bleed but it would annoy old people walking by, but at the same time will get a lot of attention from other car enthusiast. And yes I have the Berk muffler delete, which will also reduce the weight of the car by 30 lbs and add performance.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelbyat07 For This Useful Post:
steveholt (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
steveholt

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfyankee2121 View Post
OP here is a sound clip of my muffler delete so you can get an idea of how loud/not loud it is. I went to a local shop and had them just fab up a Y pipe, and weld on some quality tips. Everything else is stock. It can drone a bit right around 2K RPM, but I don't mind. I am going to run UEL headers with this same setup eventually lol.

Hope this helps!
--J.B.
thanks for sharing!

One reason I may consider going to a local shop is that the berk muffle delete is biased to the left side with the flange. I'm not sure if this would affect anything in terms of sound being louder on one side or the exhaust fumes only coming out and favoring to one side.

Ideally, I would like the flange to be neutral and to the middle on a muffler delete, haven't been able to find any manufacturer's with this spec.

I imagine it's going to sound even louder with your current setup when you go with the uel header? catted or no?
Old 03-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #11
steveholt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 View Post
Haven't put a price on it but around 240. And I'm selling it because I want to be a doctor and I don't think it would be professional to drive a loud car through the hospital. It's not loud that your ears will bleed but it would annoy old people walking by, but at the same time will get a lot of attention from other car enthusiast. And yes I have the Berk muffler delete, which will also reduce the weight of the car by 30 lbs and add performance.
hey if you become an otorhinolaryngologists this would be helpful to your patients!

p.s - is it true that at first it can sound a bit bad/rough but then after a few hundred miles or so the muffler delete smooths out? with the carbon/breaking into the pipes/exhaust?
The Following User Says Thank You to steveholt For This Useful Post:
Kelbyat07 (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #12
golfyankee2121
Always Moving Forward

Drives: 2013 Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
thanks for sharing!

One reason I may consider going to a local shop is that the berk muffle delete is biased to the left side with the flange. I'm not sure if this would affect anything in terms of sound being louder on one side or the exhaust fumes only coming out and favoring to one side.

Ideally, I would like the flange to be neutral and to the middle on a muffler delete, haven't been able to find any manufacturer's with this spec.

I imagine it's going to sound even louder with your current setup when you go with the uel header? catted or no?

See that was my thought process too, about some of the manufactures muffler deletes being "biased" to one exit or another. My Y pipe splits off pretty much dead center of the car, but still can create "bias" in how the exhaust comes out, yet it's not always the same. Like on cold starts, sometimes I'll see the exhaust coming steady out both exits, sometimes it will be heavier out one side or another. Doesn't really make a difference, I guess that just happens because it's not really a "true dual exhaust".

As for the headers, I think the only way I will be able to keep my muffler delete is to get a catted UEL and keep my stock OP/FP. Catless with a straight pipe might make ears bleed. lol
golfyankee2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #13
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Quote:
hey if you become an otorhinolaryngologists this would be helpful to your patients!

p.s - is it true that at first it can sound a bit bad/rough but then after a few hundred miles or so the muffler delete smooths out? with the carbon/breaking into the pipes/exhaust?
Kind of. It's almost like breaking in the exhaust, it will smooth out after 1,000 miles.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelbyat07 For This Useful Post:
golfyankee2121 (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfyankee2121 View Post
See that was my thought process too, about some of the manufactures muffler deletes being "biased" to one exit or another. My Y pipe splits off pretty much dead center of the car, but still can create "bias" in how the exhaust comes out, yet it's not always the same. Like on cold starts, sometimes I'll see the exhaust coming steady out both exits, sometimes it will be heavier out one side or another. Doesn't really make a difference, I guess that just happens because it's not really a "true dual exhaust".

As for the headers, I think the only way I will be able to keep my muffler delete is to get a catted UEL and keep my stock OP/FP. Catless with a straight pipe might make ears bleed. lol
Yeah I thought it was pretty strange at first that one side will have more smoke than the other whenever I start the car. But I don't think it will make a huge difference.