follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #295
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Looks like it should be about one thread out at the end.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1402250231224.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  84.5 KB

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

***Edit: An update to this - after over a month since applying blue loctite to the adapter bolt, shifter play has not changed at all. The loctite makes a big difference! ***

Last edited by xxBrun0xx; 06-17-2014 at 05:11 PM.
xxBrun0xx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxBrun0xx For This Useful Post:
TM (06-08-2014), unsurety (06-15-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #296
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
lol... I was about to post the same thing about the washer and boot. I did the installation today too, and I'm not the most mechanically inclined. I ripped that boot off too, after cussing and being gentle with it, I figured I probably wasn't going back.

I did not put the washer back on. I may regret not putting some blue loctite on the adapter bolt. But it was actually quite difficult to thread in - I hand tightened it as far as it would go before using a tool as well.

I did notice it was notchier than before. But I still love it. I have MTEC shift springs and Pentosin MTF2 fluid.
I notice a lot of people (myself included) wanted to know how the quickshifter felt in combination with the MTEC springs.
Would you mind giving some thoughts/review?

Thanks!
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #297
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I notice a lot of people (myself included) wanted to know how the quickshifter felt in combination with the MTEC springs.
Would you mind giving some thoughts/review?

Thanks!
In one word - amazing.

The select few people that I've allowed to drive it loved it. I'm lucky enough that so far, every mod has not made me want to go back to OEM/stock.

MTEC springs are a no brainer. The TRD is a lot more expensive, but I don't regret it at all.

mini review:

In my Camaro, the short shifter had stronger centering springs but I still angled the shift knob and my hand for 2-3, and 5-4 shifts. With the MTEC, all I do is push straight up or push straight down, respectively. It's perfect. I still angle it slightly when shifting quickly, just for peace of mind. But once you try it, the difference is obvious.

When I first shifter after installing the TRD QS, I thought it didn't go all the way into gear! It's much easier for shift timing now. It requires a some more effort, which I really like. I'm not scrawny, I'm not some hulking meathead either... I have no problems getting into each gear with the stock shift knob. 3-2 downshift requires more effort, but not a problem.

TRD QS 3rd vs. 4th gear:

For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to unsurety For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (06-18-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 03:08 AM   #298
drift86

Drives: GT86, 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
Another one is the BPS short shifter, which I loved the look of. TWM is an expensive option.
I've tried a TWM short shifter in my friend's car. I didn't like the feel at all and much preferred the stock shifter.

Sure, the shift was much shorter, but it really lacked consistency and feel. Some of the problems were:
- when you move the stock shifter into gear, initially there is some resistance as the synchros do their work and then it lightens up as it 'locks in' to the gear. The TWM did not have this positive feel as the throws were so short, and required more effort that it was just one motion and you can't feel the gear engaging
- the shift throws were different between different gears. 2nd gear was particularly short

We checked the installation and it was properly locked into place so I don't think it was an installation issue.

Does the TRD have these issues?
drift86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #299
unsurety
aeiou

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift86 View Post
I've tried a TWM short shifter in my friend's car. I didn't like the feel at all and much preferred the stock shifter.

Sure, the shift was much shorter, but it really lacked consistency and feel. Some of the problems were:
- when you move the stock shifter into gear, initially there is some resistance as the synchros do their work and then it lightens up as it 'locks in' to the gear. The TWM did not have this positive feel as the throws were so short, and required more effort that it was just one motion and you can't feel the gear engaging
- the shift throws were different between different gears. 2nd gear was particularly short

We checked the installation and it was properly locked into place so I don't think it was an installation issue.

Does the TRD have these issues?
The quickshifter is really just an extension to the existing shift lever. It's overpriced because TRD. But it works incredibly well because it's so simple.

In my picture above, the angle makes it look off, but the throws in each gear are the same distance. And if anything, the shorter throws make shifting even more precise. It's easier to tell when you're in gear because the distance is easy to get used to. I grinded a few times while stock, but it's hard to do with the QS. It has that same resistance you're talking about, it's more than stock (which is good).

The round piece next to the bolt is essentially the short shifter. The bracket is the main stay bushing, which improves shift feel. Maybe your friend didn't install one?

For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
Old 06-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #300
unsurety
aeiou

I do have one complaint about the shifter though. The short travel coupled with the higher resistance getting in/out of gear makes it harder to get into neutral. You end up using more force to get out of gear, and sometimes shoot past neutral into the next gate.

Minor complaint, easy fix. Just push sideways when going into neutral.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #301
Zed

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited GBS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any BRZ owners that got this installed at a dealer? did you go to Toyota or Subaru? how much was the install cost?
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #302
SuperKazRacing

Drives: 2013 RED FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpit View Post
Bought it from this Toyota/Scion dealer for $135 with free shipping (use code FB10).

http://www.conicellitoyotaofconshohocken.com/
HOW THE F#CK DID YOU FIND IT ON THEIR SITE ? I TRIED # PTR 54-18130
and TRD QUICKSHIFTER and NOTHING ????????
SuperKazRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #303
nosi9frs

Drives: Raven FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKazRacing View Post

You need to search for toyota parts instead of scion parts, I had the same problem a few months ago
nosi9frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nosi9frs For This Useful Post:
SuperKazRacing (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #304
SuperKazRacing

Drives: 2013 RED FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKazRacing View Post
OK Boy's and Girl's ! Derek Jenkins @ CONICELLI TOYOTA just hooked me up for $135 Shipped ! They Have 11 More !!! Just wanted to share on the Best Price Anywheres ......
SuperKazRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #305
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Going to call up larer this morning to pick one up!!

Sent from my SM-N900P
Excuse the typos
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #306
formulagt

Drives: 13' FJ Cruiser TT | 13' 10 Series
Quote:
OK Boy's and Girl's ! Derek Jenkins @ CONICELLI TOYOTA just hooked me up for $135 Shipped ! They Have 11 More !!! Just wanted to share on the Best Price Anywheres ......
Just tried to get the same deal, their cost is $152 so you got a helluva a deal LOL. I even called there.
formulagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #307
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulagt View Post
Just tried to get the same deal, their cost is $152 so you got a helluva a deal LOL. I even called there.
bah I won't be calling ebaying it from another toyota dealership is 150 =/
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #308
formulagt

Drives: 13' FJ Cruiser TT | 13' 10 Series
Quote:
bah I won't be calling ebaying it from another toyota dealership is 150 =/
They'll do $148 shipped so that's the current pricing. Just an FYI.
formulagt is offline   Reply With Quote