follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quick Service / Noob Questions...

Hi,

A couple of noob questions again as I don't have much experience with car ownership / my last car maintained itself for the better part of a decade...

1. Purchased used FR-S from Nissan dealership. Am happy with the service department here, is there any benefit / should I be taking the car to a Toyota / Scion dealership for regular service appointments?

2. Nissan dealer is pushing for me to come in end of December (3 months since purchase) for appointment. I purchased the car with 34,000 miles - it currently has 38,000 miles - and I don't expect to put more than 40,000 miles on the car by the end of December.

Per the FR-S Service Manual my next service appointment shouldn't be until 45,000 miles, should I just wait until 42,000 - 45,000 miles for next appointment? Or should I bring it in end of December given that it's been "three months" (does length of time really matter)?

3. I don't have TPMS in my winter tires, has anyone ever ran into any issues with dealer because of this? (Once again, I'd imagine common sense would prevail here - and as long as I inform them of no TPMS so that they don't waste time trying to figure out the issue if the light comes on, everything will be fine)

4. Mud Guards, if I do get mud guards I will be getting the OEM ones - I've read a few threads and the debate usually comes down to whether or not you think they're ugly - my question is has anyone noticed a SIGNIFICANT wear and tear difference since putting these on?

I fall into the "they-kind-of-distract-from-the-apperance camp" but at the same time... This is my DD that I plan on keeping for the foreseeable future.

5. Since I plan on winter driving this (at times) - is there anything I should be doing now / December to prevent rust prevention?

In another thread a few posters gave recommendations on how to keep the car clean in the winter, just don't want to miss the boat on anything I should be doing at this minute.

---

Thanks in advance!
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 02.ACCORD.DUDE For This Useful Post:
RichardsFRS (12-31-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Doesn't matter where you take your car. Keep receipts with dates and mileages.

If you don't know how to take care of a car follow the service manual. Don't let them bend you over and sell you services you don't need.

What is the last documented service on your car? What has been done to maintain it before you bought it?

TPMS doesn't matter.

Stock mud flaps can lead to pain chips under the flap itself. If you never take them off then it won't matter.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
Hi,

A couple of noob questions again as I don't have much experience with car ownership / my last car maintained itself for the better part of a decade...

- Purchased used FR-S from Nissan dealership. Am happy with the service department here, is there any benefit / should I be taking the car to a Toyota / Scion dealership for regular service appointments?

- Nissan dealer is pushing for me to come in end of December (3 months since purchase) for appointment. I purchased the car with 34,000 miles - it currently has 38,000 miles - and I don't expect to put more than 40,000 miles on the car by the end of December.

Per the FR-S Service Manual my next service appointment shouldn't be until 45,000 miles, should I just wait until 42,000 - 45,000 miles for next appointment? Or should I bring it in end of December given that it's been "three months" (does length of time really matter)?

- I don't have TPMS in my winter tires, has anyone ever ran into any issues with dealer because of this? (Once again, I'd imagine common sense would prevail here - and as long as I inform them of no TPMS so that they don't waste time trying to figure out the issue if the light comes on, everything will be fine)

- Mud Guards, if I do get mud guards I will be getting the OEM ones - I've read a few threads and the debate usually comes down to whether or not you think they're ugly - my question is do these make a SIGNIFICANT wear and tear difference?

---

Thanks in advance!
When was the last time the car had an oil change? They might of messed up your oil and put in Non-synthetic oil which is a nono because synthetic oil can last up to 7,500+ miles or every 6 months (I usually go by mileage). Ask them what the service is for. If youre new to car servicing then i would advise you to follow the manual.

If you areusing stock rims then you can use the tpms sensors with your winter tires since it isnt stuck onto the tire itself. Your TPMS sensor is the little nozzle thats sticking out. The dealer will understand if you tell them about it.

OEM mudguard will somewhat protect your lower half of the car. Either way your car will get dirty. Most people only get them for the looks since it really doesn't do much. Thats why there are most post on how it looks on the car lol. I might be wrong but someone here can chime in on this.
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackJesus For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
where in NJ are you located????
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hi,

3. I don't have TPMS in my winter tires, has anyone ever ran into any issues with dealer because of this? (Once again, I'd imagine common sense would prevail here - and as long as I inform them of no TPMS so that they don't waste time trying to figure out the issue if the light comes on, everything will be fine)

4. Mud Guards, if I do get mud guards I will be getting the OEM ones - I've read a few threads and the debate usually comes down to whether or not you think they're ugly - my question is has anyone noticed a SIGNIFICANT wear and tear difference since putting these on?

I fall into the "they-kind-of-distract-from-the-apperance camp" but at the same time... This is my DD that I plan on keeping for the foreseeable future.

5. Since I plan on winter driving this (at times) - is there anything I should be doing now / December to prevent rust prevention?

In another thread a few posters gave recommendations on how to keep the car clean in the winter, just don't want to miss the boat on anything I should be doing at this minute.

---

Thanks in advance!
3 - Me neither. Never had them even notice or say anything if they did.

4 - All Canadian ones come with the mud guards as stock. I have never run without them but will say without a single doubt I would not ever want to drive down a freshly salted road without them. I have totally sandblasted (saltblasted?) paint off the sides of previous cars that did not have them but did not have a single mark on the FRS after one winter with them. As far as appearance goes, the only person that will likely even notice them is you and even that will go away after about a week.

5- Wax her up real good and have at the snow. Mine has done one very salty Canadian winter and is no rustier than some that have never seen snow. Get yourself a season pass to a touch less wash that does undercarriage spray and do it when ever you can and all is good.
02.ACCORD.DUDE (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
If you get snow, get winter tires
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Doesn't matter where you take your car. Keep receipts with dates and mileages.

If you don't know how to take care of a car follow the service manual. Don't let them bend you over and sell you services you don't need.

What is the last documented service on your car? What has been done to maintain it before you bought it?

TPMS doesn't matter.

Stock mud flaps can lead to pain chips under the flap itself. If you never take them off then it won't matter.
The last entry in the CarFax which shows with "Maintenance inspection completed" occurs at 26,000 miles but the car regularly had oil and filter changes done at dealerships* (7,500 mi; 15,000 mi; 21,000 mi; 29,000 mi; 34,000 mi).

The car was sold to the Nissan dealership (where I would end up purchasing the car) at 30,000 miles - where the dealer did their own check (now what that check entails, and how thorough it was - I can't say, I had a conversation with the sales person at some point - but can't recall the details).

It was then leased to another owner - and I purchased it at 34,000 miles.

---

*I can't tell if some of these oil / filter changes were also regular maintenance checks but didn't get flagged as such on the CarFax, but they all occur around the recommended maintenance schedule mileages.

Last edited by 02.ACCORD.DUDE; 11-17-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Haha, in the time I posted this more responses popped up! I love this place...
Old 11-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFRS69 View Post
where in NJ are you located????
Hunterdon County, north of Princeton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
If you get snow, get winter tires
Already did. Got them installed (a lot) earlier than I wanted to because I chipped one of my summer tires :- (... But given that I'm not doing a ton of driving at this moment early wear-and-tear on them shouldn't be too awful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 02.ACCORD.DUDE For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (11-17-2015), Tcoat (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #9
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:

Already did. Got them installed (a lot) earlier than I wanted to because I chipped one of my summer tires :- (... But given that I'm not doing a ton of driving at this moment early wear-and-tear on them shouldn't be too awful.

Good, winter tires are a must haha! Yeah I put mine on early and depending how you drive they will be fine. I drive the crap out of my winters so I am on my second set already hahaha
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

About 20K on mine last fall/winter/spring and they still look good. Just no more 'Cuz racecar for a while.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #11
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The last entry in the CarFax which shows with "Maintenance inspection completed" occurs at 26,000 miles but the car regularly had oil and filter changes done at dealerships* (7,500 mi; 15,000 mi; 21,000 mi; 29,000 mi; 34,000 mi).

The car was sold to the Nissan dealership (where I would end up purchasing the car) at 30,000 miles - where the dealer did their own check (now what that check entails, and how thorough it was - I can't say, I had a conversation with the sales person at some point - but can't recall the details).

It was then leased to another owner - and I purchased it at 34,000 miles.

---

*I can't tell if some of these oil / filter changes were also regular maintenance checks but didn't get flagged as such on the CarFax, but they all occur around the recommended maintenance schedule mileages.
The better question is what kind of service does your nissan dealership wants you to have done?
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #12
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
1. I would rather use the Scion/Toyota dealership or an Indy that I trust.
2. Depending on how you value your car .... if I bought used .... I typically have all the fluids changed regardless of what the history says. Better safe than sorry. Yes .... time does count. Time and mileage .... what ever comes 1st.
3,4,5. I have no opinion since I live in beautiful Arizona.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #13
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

I decided to take her on in to the Toyota dealership next week, mainly so I can also get a spare key made... I'm a bit between intervals purchased the car at around 34,000 miles it's at 39,000 miles now (will be 40,000 miles and about 3 1/4 months ownership by time of appointment) - should I just get the 45,000 maintenance done in accordance with owner's manual?

(I'm looking through owner's manual now - even though the records say the car was serviced at around 30,000 miles - I'm leaning towards getting brake fluid and engine air filter replaced which should have been done at 30,000 service appointment)

Any recommendations on anything else to get done? As this is an auto - if brake and engine oil are changed - I can't really think of any other fluids I'd need to replace at this moment...

Thanks for the help everyone!

(edit: Still haven't decided about this damn mud guards... but am just going to go over to the dealership in the next few days, and check out the models on lot to see how they look in person... never really did a live comparison before... I generally hate the look, but the OEM mud guards seem like such a minimal design that they aren't an instant turn-off for me)

Last edited by 02.ACCORD.DUDE; 12-30-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #14
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
As long as you've had good experiences with that particular service department before and can trust them, there's no harm in doing an oil change. That being said, the service interval for the FR-S is 7500 miles or... six months I think. There's pretty much no modern cars that require a 3 mo/3k mi service - that's sheer dealer gouge if they try and insist on it. Make sure they (know to) use synthetic oil, and properly replace the crush washer on the oil plug so it doesn't leak.

There's never any harm in simply following the manufacturer's service recs. Even the best dealers will try and sell you on flushes and whatnot at their own intervals. I would just point to the manual and say, "It's not in here, so no thanks."

As for mudguards, I installed them on mine once I got slightly wider tires (only one size up), because without them the side of the car gets almost instantly filthy. The front guards especially help a wash go a little longer (assuming mostly dry conditions of course). They are pretty small and unobtrusive imo.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (12-31-2015)