follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Dealership Service Prices, worth it?

I typically avoid doing any service at the dealership unless it's major and follow the DIY threads on here.

I just took my car in MY13 for the valve spring recall. It's at 42k miles.

Advisor also mentioned some services he recommended and I'm not sure if I should do it or not if it's an issue.

Tune Up $159.95 (Not even sure what this even includes).

Water Pump $339.95 (Is this a known issue?)

Throw out bearing $99.95 (I know there were a few issues and mine might have it since I took it in once before for a squeaky clutch pedal).
Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
86league

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
Throw out bearing $99.95 (I know there were a few issues and mine might have it since I took it in once before for a squeaky clutch pedal).
The pedal squeak may have been the fork pivot vs. the TOB, but I'd replace the TOB if you have not replaced it with the new spec part. Mine failed at 35k miles - common failure.

The Part is $55 list from Subaru - you can get the Toyota one for like $23 (IIRC) list and about $18 online, but...

It's probably 5 minutes of work even if you take your time and clean up the input shaft collar, and the fork and re-grease the contact points... so their labor rates seem high, but it's a LOT less than having to drop the transmission later on.
86league is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86league For This Useful Post:
YamahaR86 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Find out what is involved in their "tune up" but I would say changing the spark plugs is a great idea while that recall is being done.

The throwout bearing seems like an easy fix while they're in there as well, and it would be nice to have the new part. Cheaper than having it done later and dropping the trans.

Water pump..... I would personally skip on that. That hasn't been shown to be a high failure rate item. It IS probably an easy part to replace while they have the motor apart though. At 42K though and no prior issues.... it isn't likely (IMO) to fail any time soon.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
YamahaR86 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86league View Post
The pedal squeak may have been the fork pivot vs. the TOB, but I'd replace the TOB if you have not replaced it with the new spec part. Mine failed at 35k miles - common failure.

The Part is $55 list from Subaru - you can get the Toyota one for like $23 (IIRC) list and about $18 online, but...

It's probably 5 minutes of work even if you take your time and clean up the input shaft collar, and the fork and re-grease the contact points... so their labor rates seem high, but it's a LOT less than having to drop the transmission later on.

I just did some forum research and apparently the TOB part that fixed the issue was released in 2017. My main concern as you addressed is trying to do it by myself having to drop the transmission/major engine parts when I don't have the tools to do so (just have basic garage tools) so I am highly considering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Find out what is involved in their "tune up" but I would say changing the spark plugs is a great idea while that recall is being done.

The throwout bearing seems like an easy fix while they're in there as well, and it would be nice to have the new part. Cheaper than having it done later and dropping the trans.

Water pump..... I would personally skip on that. That hasn't been shown to be a high failure rate item. It IS probably an easy part to replace while they have the motor apart though. At 42K though and no prior issues.... it isn't likely (IMO) to fail any time soon.

I looked at my maintenance sheet and saw my spark plugs are at 60k miles. I haven't looked at doing them yet but are they a pain? With this engine it seems like it would be easy with a lot of things being accessible on top.

The water-pump does seem high to me and I did some quick searching and people say it's easy to replace (near the belt I believe) so I think I may be able to do that myself.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Check this video:
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
I just did some forum research and apparently the TOB part that fixed the issue was released in 2017. My main concern as you addressed is trying to do it by myself having to drop the transmission/major engine parts when I don't have the tools to do so (just have basic garage tools) so I am highly considering it.

I looked at my maintenance sheet and saw my spark plugs are at 60k miles. I haven't looked at doing them yet but are they a pain? With this engine it seems like it would be easy with a lot of things being accessible on top.

The water-pump does seem high to me and I did some quick searching and people say it's easy to replace (near the belt I believe) so I think I may be able to do that myself.

Thanks!
Yes, spark plugs are a PITA if you haven't done them. I see a lot of people take them to a dealer even if they can kind of turn a wrench. Also they're pretty specific plugs, so dont be surprised at the price of them, lol.

It's a no brainer to do those while the engine is out and apart.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
YamahaR86 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I would do the things that cost a lot due to manpower.
Spark plugs
TOB
Clutch
Having any of those fail within the nex 20k miles would make it money well spent.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
YamahaR86 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:45 PM   #8
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Adding onto this.. going to a dealership for service will have it noted on a Carfax report. Useful when it comes to selling your car.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:42 PM   #9
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
Adding onto this.. going to a dealership for service will have it noted on a Carfax report. Useful when it comes to selling your car.
Any mechanic shop that pays to be in the Carfax system can do it. Hell, even jiffy lubes can do it.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote