follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #15
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Congrats! I am pretty sure you enjoy it a lot!
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #16
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryair View Post
this is more of an appreciation than a ‘vs’ but here goes..

up until about a year ago i owned a ‘15 brz, which was a really awesome car that really got me enjoying driving again. i learned to heel/toe, took it around a track a few times, how to carefully drive and park a low ground clearance car, what a joy an lsd equipped/rwd car could really be.

last week i had the opportunity to purchase a ‘17 bmw 240i, manual, that had been equipped with an lsd from the port install of the previous (first) owner. and let me say, its all that was good about my brz multiplied by a bit. the go pedal means go, the seating position is not as racecar as the brz but certainly nice, the rear end helps push you through a turn - all the while as i know at a baseline what to expect and understand and respect the extra go/stop/turn power of this new car added to the very nice (to me) interior and infotainment.

it was a great experience to have started down the sports car path with that brz and to really feel what owning something like this is about, and though everyone will have their own different path whether thats modding their twin, swapping into an wrx, s2k, z car, stang or camaro, bmw or whatever - im glad i did.
I'm late but congratulations man! I work at a BMW dealership and the 2 series is my favorite model in the current lineup. I think the M240i is the perfect upgrade from a twin. Sporty, quick, good looking and luxurious yet affordable. How do you like it so far?
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:41 PM   #17
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
I don't really get why people will call a 2 series a 'step up' or an upgrade and why they insist on calling the twins 'entry level'. Less expensive doesn't mean inferior and personally I see having to spend less money on a rapidly depreciating asset as a 'step up'. I had an M235 and I sold it to buy an 86. BMW was more luxurious and powerful, but the 86 handles better, is more engaging to drive, and significantly more reliable (plus having a spare tire is amazing).

The two cars put up surprisingly comparable autox times, so I think it's fair to say that performance trade offs are not vastly in favor of one or the other.

I'm sure OP will have fun with the 240, I know I had some fun with my 235, I just don't know why on a brz/frs/86 forum everyone is so quick to sell our cars short.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
JIM THEO (03-31-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 06:04 PM   #18
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryair View Post
honestly its already got the lsd, a catback, carbon fiber bits, nicer wheels than stock - im likely to keep it exactly as is at least until the warranty is up in 2 yrs. maybe a tune after or something?

as cheap as subarus are to fix, these seem like theyre not so i wanna stay on the good side of the factory warranty in all counts while its around.
When the warranty is up on a BMW, you sell it or trade it in. But enjoy the next two years. Very nice looking machine.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #19
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
I don't really get why people will call a 2 series a 'step up' or an upgrade and why they insist on calling the twins 'entry level'. Less expensive doesn't mean inferior and personally I see having to spend less money on a rapidly depreciating asset as a 'step up'. I had an M235 and I sold it to buy an 86. BMW was more luxurious and powerful, but the 86 handles better, is more engaging to drive, and significantly more reliable (plus having a spare tire is amazing).

The two cars put up surprisingly comparable autox times, so I think it's fair to say that performance trade offs are not vastly in favor of one or the other.

I'm sure OP will have fun with the 240, I know I had some fun with my 235, I just don't know why on a brz/frs/86 forum everyone is so quick to sell our cars short.
Great points. The formula is there for both cars: small, RWD, coupes with great handling characteristics. One has more power and is more luxurious than the other but it really comes down to what the driver wants. Some people value power over better handling and that’s fine. Some people prefer the better interior while to some people it’s not worth twice the price of a BRZ. I do agree that the BRZ is more engaging and of course more reliable. Both are great cars no doubt but like with everything; it all comes down to preference
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
xdavidx (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post

Not selling our cars short and it is not an insult to call them an entry level car. Toyota built, priced and marketed it as an entry level car. Those are their very words when describing it. That does not mean it is inferior in any way just simply that there are indeed cars that rank above it in performance.

It is in some great company as an entry level car (Number 7 is funny)

https://www.autobytel.com/sports-car...s-cars-128737/#
Vic4uf (06-05-2019), Will BRZ (04-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #21
TOtS

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
I almost bought an M235i instead of my BRZ.

Picked the BRZ because:
- BRZ felt more fun to drive, it was a pure toy
- M235i has similar, but way less loaded interior than my previous 435i M Performance. Didn't want to keep hating on the half loaded beemer interior every time I go for a drive.
- Found a well priced BRZ tS which looked more unique compared to the M235is I found & had almost brand new mileage
TOtS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOtS For This Useful Post:
xdavidx (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #22
Vic4uf

Drives: FRS, Camry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It is in some great company as an entry level car (Number 7 is funny)

https://www.autobytel.com/sports-car...s-cars-128737/#
Wow, the Miata looks a lot like the FRS.
Vic4uf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vic4uf For This Useful Post:
WazzuGrad (06-08-2019)