follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #1
Pinoy_FRS

Drives: Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Valve spring recall - CEL and Slip Light now on

Just as the title states. I dropped off my 2013 frs (105k miles) last Wednesday, 1/19 for the recall. They did the work as well as replace the spark plugs that I supplied which I was gonna do myself but might as well asked them since the engine was gonna be out.

Fast forward to today, I picked up my car before I went to work. Drove it for about 20 minutes to get some breakfast. Got back into my car and drove for about a minute then all of suddenly my CEL came on along with the slip light. I called my dealership stating the problem and they said to bring it back. I couldn’t because I had to open up the store for the other employees today.

I won’t be able to bring my car back to Toyota until Tuesday or so because of work. My only concern right now is getting my car back home and it’s supposed to snow later this afternoon. I have blizzaks but having the slip light on worries me.

Just curious if anyone has experienced the same problems after they had their car serviced for the recall?
Pinoy_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's probably just a sensor left disconnected. Without a code though it's pretty finger in the air.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (01-23-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Need to see what code it threw.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
Pinoy_FRS

Just dropped off my car at the same dealership. They’ll update me on Monday which I’ll do the same here
Old 01-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Keep us updated...interested to see what they screwed up. I assume you did not have the CEL before they touched it?
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
ottawafrs

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
dealer told me mine threw a CEL after the work, so I didn't pick it up yesterday. Waiting to see if they can resolve it. They think they broke a cam sensor during the reinstall.
ottawafrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafrs View Post
dealer told me mine threw a CEL after the work, so I didn't pick it up yesterday. Waiting to see if they can resolve it. They think they broke a cam sensor during the reinstall.
Great...as predicted.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Cam sensors look like a 2 minute job. If they broke one, swap it out and move on.

If one of the cams is out of time... start over. That one hurts.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
Pinoy_FRS

Finally got an update on my car this morning. So VVT gear is bad, not sure how and I’m not that mechanically inclined to explain any more on that The part(s) they need is on backorder so I’ll be driving this rental corolla for another week or so. So much for hoping it being only being a disconnected sensor or something but hey I’m getting new parts
Old 01-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Cam sensors are not a 2min job. They have to be shimmed properly. Not a big deal but not 2mins. The connectors on the cam sensors are very vulnerable and easy to snap off. I was ultra careful when handling my timing cover while I had it off for fear of messing up one of them. It would be so easy to toss the cover on a bench and snap one of them. These are the sort of mistakes I would expect from dealers until they get used to doing this job.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #11
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy_FRS View Post
Finally got an update on my car this morning. So VVT gear is bad, not sure how and I’m not that mechanically inclined to explain any more on that The part(s) they need is on backorder so I’ll be driving this rental corolla for another week or so. So much for hoping it being only being a disconnected sensor or something but hey I’m getting new parts
Oh fun.. they are entering into the VVT cat and mouse game.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #12
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
You guys aren't helping my "keep calm" coefficient, which is usually pretty good. Dropped mine off on Tuesday for the recall. Mine's the first one to be done at my dealership, and only their "master technician" will touch the car, I'm told. Here's hopin'....

And...ummmm... the loaner Corolla.... just.......ewwwwwwww. Appreciated, but......ewwwwww. Forgot about just how much I hate FWD.... torque steering...no immediate control when sliding. As an economical appliance, it's probably great. As a driving experience, it rivals a coasting toaster. Nah...the toaster would probably be thrilling in comparison.

edit... and.. it's an AT, so it can't be a real driving experience...

Last edited by MuseChaser; 01-24-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: just to be obnoxious
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #13
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy_FRS View Post
Like I said, if it was a broken sensor they probably would have swapped it out and not said anything, no need to get someone worried over that.

Now it's getting torn down again. Either had a cam set a tooth off, or the gear installed incorrectly, or the gear "went bad" while sitting on a bench for a few hours.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #14
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Like I said, if it was a broken sensor they probably would have swapped it out and not said anything, no need to get someone worried over that.

Now it's getting torn down again. Either had a cam set a tooth off, or the gear installed incorrectly, or the gear "went bad" while sitting on a bench for a few hours.
It's possible to crack a connector and not immediately get a CEL and then release the car to the owner. I doubt they set the chain wrong, that would be super rookie. Everything is keyed on these gears so it's kind of impossible to put them on incorrectly especially if you don't take the actual gear apart. When I did my rebuild I did take mine apart to make sure they were clear of any potential bearing material. There is a little spring loaded door that can fly off which then allows a valve to fall out. Maybe it flew off and they didn't notice or maybe they did notice and then put the valve back in backwards (because it can go in either way and only one way is correct and the manual doesn't talk about the orientation). Anyways, there are lots of threads around here with people going around and around trying to resolve VVT issues. Replace OCVs, reshim cam sensors, replace cam sensors, replace gears, ecus and on and on. Let's hope he doesn't go down this road.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-24-2019), Lantanafrs2 (01-24-2019), swfrs (01-24-2019), Tcoat (01-24-2019)