follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #57
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
250 F oil "should" be better than 272 F, but it has to be expressed in terms of shortened engine operating hours to 2 decimal places and have an OEM manufacturers name on the letterhead before you'll even consider it as anything beyond conjecture.
I don't require anything of the sort. But you've provided nothing...

Quote:
Right. The owner's manual, I'm sorry service manual since you think that actually matters, applies to extended operation on a road course, even though the car can't reasonably get to that point with a stock setup.
You don't think Ford has the ability to test engines independently of road- or track-testing cars?
Quote:
I'm not sure how you think that makes sense, or how you can imply there is no difference in operating at temp X on public road vs. operating at temp X on a road course. Not to mention it's a different car with a different oiling system.
The point of the reference is that Ford considers 279°F oil temperature, *however it got to that point*, to be in the range of "normal". If oil temps are in the "normal" range, surely rpm up to redline/rev-limiter should not be a problem. Different car, different oiling system, yeah, I just threw it out there as a reference. If Ford is OK at 279°F, that suggests that it might also be OK in our cars with similar oil (I think Ford specs 5w20 for street, 5w30 for track usage). At the very least I think we can conclude that the oil isn't failing or breaking down at that point. Also, that 279°F almost certainly has some conservatism built into it as well.

Quote:
You don't think he was just talking about the negative effect on oil pressure? Or do you really think he meant the oil itself is breaking down?
Here's what he said, it seems pretty clear: "As much as we love doing engine swaps for people, we'd rather not do it because someone spun a bearing from letting their oil degrade."
As we see in the data presented, oil pressure was the same running 5w30 with an oil cooler and without it. No difference, no "negative effect on oil pressure." I don't see how you could conclude that it was oil pressure he was talking about.

Quote:
Cool, don't use one. It's your car you don't have to. Run a blower with E85 and crank it up to 400 rwhp. Some engines can take it. No one can say for sure at what torque rating the rods let go, so it doesn't matter what you do as long as your engine stays running. Amirite?
FALSE EQUIVALENCE
For the record I have been talking about relatively stock engines and whether or not an oil cooler is *needed* to run these cars on the track. Throwing up something entirely different and presenting it as if what I'm suggesting is the "same thing" is
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #58
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Best post in entire thread here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
Just track your car hard without an oil cooler and pay little to no mind on your oil temp/pressure and do an oil analysis. See if any excess wear. If no wear, then you're fine at your level of use/track.

On that note, I recall seeing someone track their car 14k miles on the same oil and I think no cooler and got an oil analysis that said no excess wear.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #59
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Best post in entire thread here:
Thanks for persevering. I appreciate others' skill at keeping cool defending against an unfair disagreement. I'm not very good at it.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #60
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I got mine installed today. I don't have any before but I plan to take my car to a track day in the next 60 days. Currently running 0w20 oil but might switch to 5w30

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote