follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #15
woojukim116

Drives: SCION FRS 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
that on road emissions stuff sounds like a dream come true. There are people on here that pass actual emissions yearly without having any cats. Our engines are tiny and really clean even without cats.
There are quite a few shady shops who will pass emission delinquent vehicles as long as they look safe to drive. There is a loophole also, so people could get emission exemption, but idk how the on road sniffing machines will react.
woojukim116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #16
woojukim116

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
No vehicle subject to an emissions inspection will be registered or reregistered by DMV until it has passed an emissions inspection

"or has been issued an emissions inspection waiver due to repair costs that exceed a repair cost threshold."
another loophole?
Old 07-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
woojukim116

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
So theoretically for rapid pass you just drive through it and its not really attended correct? If so whats stopping you from driving through with the clutch in and higher speed and basically having the engine idle and mess up the calculation? OR even crazier if the car is off a few seconds through it? Or if you edit your tune to have a much lower idle than it usually does and then clutch in or neutral and go through it and purposely lean the car our to pass?
-I am not sure it would work. Even if it did, it will be hard to do so bc some of them are set like a trap. I heard they are sitting like police trap hiding in a highway ramp or so. Drivers will see sign and will see the machine right there. Just like when you see a speed trap they already have your speed recorded.

Does it just compare it to other FRS/BRZ/86 ?
-That is a good question. I don't know they were driving our cars when passing by the machine.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #18
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woojukim116 View Post
Yeah, passing emission should be less problem, but "on road sniffers will give me tickets" (I have only one cat on the stock manifold now.)
https://www.findcarmeets.com/roadsid...ting-virginia/

If I get emission exemption, I maybe okay. I don't know how the machines work though. It sounds like they have a set number and will issue citation no matter what, and exempted vehicles could get citations every single time. They will have to prove each time? I think
There’s no citation or ticket for failing an on road inspection. When you check if you passed it’ll just inform you that you need to go to an emissions inspection station, but there is no fine associated with the failure.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #19
woojukim116

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
There’s no citation or ticket for failing an on road inspection. When you check if you passed it’ll just inform you that you need to go to an emissions inspection station, but there is no fine associated with the failure.
And nothing happens if I dont go to emission center? If I have go to the shady shop each time I get that notice, it wouldnt be good
Old 07-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #20
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woojukim116 View Post
No vehicle subject to an emissions inspection will be registered or reregistered by DMV until it has passed an emissions inspection

"or has been issued an emissions inspection waiver due to repair costs that exceed a repair cost threshold."
another loophole?
Read the exemption list, the answer is already there.

If your car is less than 4 years old, you are exempt. If you are coming up on year 4 of ownership since sold, then you need to smog it.

I don't live in VA but reading the DMV site is pretty straightforward. It would've answered like 90% of the questions you've asked already.

In California, we are exempt for the first 6 years, so my previous 2013 BRZ wouldn't need smog until July 2020.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #21
woojukim116

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Read the exemption list, the answer is already there.

If your car is less than 4 years old, you are exempt. If you are coming up on year 4 of ownership since sold, then you need to smog it.

I don't live in VA but reading the DMV site is pretty straightforward. It would've answered like 90% of the questions you've asked already.

In California, we are exempt for the first 6 years, so my previous 2013 BRZ wouldn't need smog until July 2020.

I appreciate the info, but I want rl experience.