follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #253
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCO View Post
my stock rom is A00J, can i flash it with the OFT v2.06 A01J ROM and use the A01J ecuflash def from your github folder?
Not trying to be a smart arse but from the questions your asking it may be better if you actually bought an Open Flash Tablet.
It a much safer easier to use device, that comes with support and logging tunes is far simpler with an OFT. It has built in safeguards to prevent you flashing incompatible ROM's

Tactrix/Ecuflash is a powerful device in the correct hands, but it does not have the safeguards build in like an OFT or other tuning platforms such as Ecutek Brzedit ect.

It will let you flash any ROM to any car but it doesn't check if its compatible and an incompatable ROM can cause an unrecoverable ECU.

editing/flashing roms with incorrect definition files or bitbase files can also result in unrecoverable ECU.

Read research and understand what you are doing else it may not end well.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #254
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Drives: 2009 Sti Hatch; 2015 Audi RSQ3
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCO View Post
my stock rom is A00J, can i flash it with the OFT v2.06 A01J ROM and use the A01J ecuflash def from your github folder?
I believe the latest v2.06 OFT roms are would be based on the A01J roms in your case, so you would probably work - you would need to see if the A01J definition represents all the tables correctly.

In a nutshell, the OFT tunes are all based off the latest available rom for that series, with the CAL id changed so that you can only flash a rom that is compatible with your ecu. The issue with using the Github definitions is the OP2 is that an OFT rom can for example say A00C, but the actual rom itself is based on the D00C (which means the definitions from Github should be D00C, and the CAL id changed). Or you could just use the definitions posted along with the OFT roms which have been changed.
Td-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:58 AM   #255
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Why not just use the Github RR definitions? That's where the OFT definitions come from in the first place. PM me, and I'll help you out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Td-d For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 02:16 AM   #256
XCO

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Td-d View Post
Why not just use the Github RR definitions? That's where the OFT definitions come from in the first place. PM me, and I'll help you out.
PM sent. thank you
XCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #257
steve99
Banned

How To Brick Your ECU

Guys,

If you are going to use Tactrix/Ecuflash to flash roms to your car please take the time to undrstand what you are doing.

If the words

32bitbase
definition file
ROM
Calibration ID
Bin/hex file
SRF structured rom format

are not familiar to you

and your not familiar with what some basic ECU tables like OL FUEL TABLE or BASE TIMING tables look like in a rom so you can check you are using correct definition files then

S T O P Do not attempt to flash your car

just finished trying to help person number 2 who has bricked their ECU. Tactrix/ecuflash is not an i-phone it is very unforgiving in inexperienced hands.

If your not willing to spend the time to learn and understand , please go and buy an Open Flash Tablet or get Ecutek or go to tuner its far cheaper than and a new ECU.

The definitions and bitbase files that come with tactrix/ecuflash are not the latest versions and only a couple of older american ones are supplied.

Check the rom your flashing to see if the tables look ok, if they look weird dont flash or edit it means your definition is not matched to rom this goes for RomRaider as well.

Tactrix/Ecuflash does not check it does not care it will just flash an incorrect , corrupted, out of date non compliant rom not suited for your car. Once that happens you may never be able to access ECU again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (09-19-2014), ML (09-19-2014), SportInjected (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #258
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

In defense of Ecuflash, the few situations where people have had issues are when OFT roms are being flashed without understanding what the OFT has implemented to prevent users from flashing anything other than the correct rom onto their ecu.

In a nutshell - any OFT rom is in most cases not the actual calibration ID that is stated on it. In other words, if the rom says AZ1J700C, for example, on the latest V2 roms - it is not actually AZ1J700C. The actual rom being used is AZ1JD00C, where the calibration ID has been manually changed to AZ1J700C - that's the process that the OFT uses to prevent OFT users from loading the wrong rom onto their ecu.

Now that works very well for the OFT users - since the definitions provided are actually all based off one rom - in this case AZ1JD00C for example - despite the roms being named the full range of released rom. The problem comes in when you cross the pond to open source - when a definition is provided that says AZ1J700C, it is for AZ1J700C. So when you read an OFT rom, say version 2 - you are using the wrong definition. This is where the problem can comes in, with incorrect checksums being calculated, critical areas of the rom being edited that should not, etc. It is not an inherent flaw of Ecuflash - but a direct consequence of how the OFT works.

That being said - what Steve says above is the point - you need to understand what you are doing when using the OP2 - the onus is on you. There is always someone to ask on here if you are unsure - rather ask, than risk the headache of having to recover / SHBoot your ecu.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Td-d For This Useful Post:
D-VO (09-21-2014), EAGLE5 (09-19-2014), steve99 (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #259
steve99
Banned

Quote:
In defense of Ecuflash, the few situations where people have had issues are when OFT roms are being flashed without understanding what the OFT has implemented to prevent users from flashing anything other than the correct rom onto their ecu.

In a nutshell - any OFT rom is in most cases not the actual calibration ID that is stated on it. In other words, if the rom says AZ1J700C, for example, on the latest V2 roms - it is not actually AZ1J700C. The actual rom being used is AZ1JD00C, where the calibration ID has been manually changed to AZ1J700C - that's the process that the OFT uses to prevent OFT users from loading the wrong rom onto their ecu.

Now that works very well for the OFT users - since the definitions provided are actually all based off one rom - in this case AZ1JD00C for example - despite the roms being named the full range of released rom. The problem comes in when you cross the pond to open source - when a definition is provided that says AZ1J700C, it is for AZ1J700C. So when you read an OFT rom, say version 2 - you are using the wrong definition. This is where the problem can comes in, with incorrect checksums being calculated, critical areas of the rom being edited that should not, etc. It is not an inherent flaw of Ecuflash - but a direct consequence of how the OFT works.

That being said - what Steve says above is the point - you need to understand what you are doing when using the OP2 - the onus is on you. There is always someone to ask on here if you are unsure - rather ask, than risk the headache of having to recover / SHBoot your ecu.
I have no problem with Tactrix/Ecuflash Romraider or opensource and have a great respect and admiration for the opensource guys who put in countless hours of their timeand considerableskils and expertise for basily free.

My intention was to save opensource/ecuflash from being blamed for bricking ecu,s, it a good and powefull system just needs that bit more understanding to use.

Yes both who got into trouble, basicly unboxed Tactrix loaded ecuflash then proceeded to read/write roms with basicly no understaning of definition files calid bitbase ect or even their existance , it only worked as they happened to want to flash a USA rom and thats the defs that come with ecuflash, unfortunatly they fell victim to the calid trap.

However they just appear to have loaded a rom that ecuflash would flash without knowing their original calid, lucky they were not in another region even some roms from same region dont work eg D00G into A01G does not work well but doesnt brick ecu .

Thanks again Tdd
Old 09-20-2014, 02:53 AM   #260
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
So, lets say my CalID is ZA1JA01C and I want to flash an OFT "stage 1" tune.
Comparing the ZA1JA01C.xml on git to the v2.061 OFT .xml, the addresses are not the same.
What would the process be? Pull from your ECU and compare using RR?
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:39 AM   #261
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Thanks Steve - not being defensive - just pointing out that it's not that using the OP2 and Ecuflash is somehow inherently more dangerous (which unfortunately is the perception) - just that it takes a deeper understanding of the process.

@Andrew025 - there are two ways - the easiest is to identify which actual rom the v2.061 maps are using for your region (which I believe is D00C), then to flash the D00C stock rom onto your ecu using ecuflash, and then to flash the OFT rom - since the definitions will then align. In other words - the process would be to update the stock rom to the latest version for the region (which is what the OFT will be using), and then to upload the OFT map.

Otherwise, a more roundabout way would be to identify the latest rom the OFT is using (D00C), download the appropriate Ecuflash definition (D00C) and then edit the Ecuflash xml the following way:

- change name to ZA1JA01C
- in the xml change the xmlidto ZA1JA01C
- in the xml change the internalidstringto ZA1JA01C

i.e. <romid>
<xmlid>ZA1JA01C</xmlid>
<internalidaddress>8000</internalidaddress>
<internalidstring>ZA1JA01C</internalidstring>

I think what I must do one of these days is create a separate branch on Github that caters for the OFT roms specifically.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Td-d For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (09-20-2014), steve99 (09-20-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #262
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
So, lets say my CalID is ZA1JA01C and I want to flash an OFT "stage 1" tune.
Comparing the ZA1JA01C.xml on git to the v2.061 OFT .xml, the addresses are not the same.
What would the process be? Pull from your ECU and compare using RR?
Golden rule when doing any flashing or editing of any rom

Open the rom in ecuflash check a couple of tables like PRIMARY OL FUEL table and BASE TIMING B and make sure they look ok check the axis look ok .

if anything looks weird , strange values or axis seem weird or out of ordinary dont flash or edit your definition does not match your rom

Last edited by steve99; 09-20-2014 at 08:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Td-d (09-20-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #263
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Ok, I'm busy with making a separate branch on Github that will cater for the V2 maps for Ecuflash users.

The ZA1J___C maps are (other than D00C) all based on B01C.
The Following User Says Thank You to Td-d For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (09-20-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #264
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Right - I've uploaded a new branch to Github that specifically caters to those wishing to upload OFT v2 maps using Ecuflash. I would appreciate it if those who know what they are doing cast an eye over them (i.e. Steve )

Important - make sure that you allow Ecuflash to fix the checksum for the rom if it pops up a message saying the checksums are incorrect.

https://github.com/TD-D/SubaruDefs/tree/OFT

You can click on this link to download the entire branch as a zip file:

https://github.com/TD-D/SubaruDefs/archive/OFT.zip

WARNING!!! DO NOT USE THESE DEFINITIONS TO FLASH ANY MAPS OTHER THAN THE V2._ OFT MAPS ONTO YOUR ECU (STOCK OR OTHERWISE, E.G. OLDER V1 MAPS). YOU WILL BRICK YOUR ECU IF YOU DO THIS!

The usual disclaimer - I'm doing this as a favour to the community, I take no responsibility if you manage to brick your ecu.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Td-d For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (09-20-2014), D-VO (09-21-2014), solidONE (09-27-2014), steve99 (09-21-2014), XCO (09-22-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #265
tech86

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unless I'm looking at the wrong files, there isn't that much different between the 1.59 and 2.0x EL E85 files anyway? 3 exhaust cam tables and one of the knock correction ones?

Think I'd rather copy the table than play around with different definitions?
tech86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #266
subaruferrucci

Drives: FR-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Right - I've uploaded a new branch to Github that specifically caters to those wishing to upload OFT v2 maps using Ecuflash. I would appreciate it if those who know what they are doing cast an eye over them (i.e. Steve )

Important - make sure that you allow Ecuflash to fix the checksum for the rom if it pops up a message saying the checksums are incorrect.

https://github.com/TD-D/SubaruDefs/tree/OFT

You can click on this link to download the entire branch as a zip file:

https://github.com/TD-D/SubaruDefs/archive/OFT.zip

WARNING!!! DO NOT USE THESE DEFINITIONS TO FLASH ANY MAPS OTHER THAN THE V2._ OFT MAPS ONTO YOUR ECU (STOCK OR OTHERWISE, E.G. OLDER V1 MAPS). YOU WILL BRICK YOUR ECU IF YOU DO THIS!

The usual disclaimer - I'm doing this as a favour to the community, I take no responsibility if you manage to brick your ecu.

Is there a away to make it so we dont have to switch between the New def files and the original def files?
subaruferrucci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecuflash, tactrix, taxtrix, tuning