follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #25215
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
The passport spam is back again...
Oh good I have been waiting for Ivan to post! Wonder if he still drives the Man?

EDIT: Damn it isn't Ivan this guy drives a Camry. No idea how good is stuff is so I will wait for my buddy to come back.
new2subaru (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #25216
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
If you move to London, Ontario I'm sure you could be *rich* just like him.

** This was told to me by a banking executive that lives there with a 3 car garage home plus a yacht at Lake Erie, who also said she would become dirt poor like me if she were to move into my hood in the big city.
Probably not but I could see some lively debates around the campfire at the cottage!
krayzie (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #25217
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
If you move to London, Ontario I'm sure you could be *rich* just like him.

** This was told to me by a banking executive that lives there with a 3 car garage home plus a yacht at Lake Erie, who also said she would become dirt poor like me if she were to move into my hood in the big city.
No. His income is legitimately much higher than mine. I may be rich compared to the neighbors but my income compared to Tcoat would not change. Rich: six figures is bottom end of rich, $500k-$1M is higher end of rich, $1m+ is really rich, and 5m+ is stupid rich. All numbers are in yearly income not total value of assets
Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #25218
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
No. His income is legitimately much higher than mine. I may be rich compared to the neighbors but my income compared to Tcoat would not change. Rich: six figures is bottom end of rich, $500k-$1M is higher end of rich, $1m+ is really rich, and 5m+ is stupid rich. All numbers are in yearly income not total value of assets
Depends where you live. In London my income is plenty. In Toronto where my $200K home would be pushing $800 K for the exact same thing and all the other costs are more my income would barely let somebody scrape by. Six figures in many cites is the same as four in others.
Dadhawk (01-10-2017), finch1750 (01-10-2017), krayzie (01-10-2017), Ultramaroon (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #25219
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I would gladly move to cahneda, but 6 months of winter cant stand it
Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #25220
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
That feeling when higher ups ask and wonder why there's a high attrition rate, even though the lower rung folks tell them what is going on. Such a huge disconnect :/
The Twins make me smile
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (01-10-2017), finch1750 (01-10-2017), krayzie (01-10-2017), Ultramaroon (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #25221
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where I live if you have a new trailer with a gravel driveway and a mustang under a tent you're doing pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #25222
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
That feeling when higher ups ask and wonder why there's a high attrition rate, even though the lower rung folks tell them what is going on. Such a huge disconnect :/
We just went through a training series for supervisors where we told management about an issues. Most of them bought in but wont work with us to fix it now =/

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 01-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #25223
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
We just went through a training series for supervisors where we told management about an issues. Most of them bought in but wont work with us to fix it now =/
Thats the most frustrating part right there. They say they are always available and ask us if anything is wrong during team meetings. When we do voice our issues, they go unheard.

Only my direct supervisor listens and tries to help out. Unfortunately, he is considered bottom of the chain (liaison of sorts between workers and uppers) so his efforts go wasted.

I'm not creative enough nor have the funds to start my own business, wish I could though.
The Twins make me smile
Old 01-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #25224
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That's everywhere. Oh we are always here and always listening anything we can do.... Then when you voice your concerns they say that's just how it is.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #25225
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
And if you have the balls to complain to HR they will put an invisible mark on your arse cuz HR is hired by those same management folks.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iiOEQOtBlQ"]Office Space the Bob's Interview Typical Day - YouTube[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (01-11-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #25226
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Quote:
Thats the most frustrating part right there. They say they are always available and ask us if anything is wrong during team meetings. When we do voice our issues, they go unheard.

Only my direct supervisor listens and tries to help out. Unfortunately, he is considered bottom of the chain (liaison of sorts between workers and uppers) so his efforts go wasted.

I'm not creative enough nor have the funds to start my own business, wish I could though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
That's everywhere. Oh we are always here and always listening anything we can do.... Then when you voice your concerns they say that's just how it is.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
From a management point of view:

1) There are frequently reason why suggestions can not be acted up that can not be shared with everybody. The managers know this and it sometimes pains us to not be able to tell you why but we just can't.

2) Many of the "great" ideas put forward are very self serving for the person that suggested it and do nothing to help the company overall even if the suggestor has convinced themselves it will. Many managers have a problem with how to deal with this so they will just smile and nod with no intention of ever following up.

3) Managers go the same things you do just at a different level. There is ALWAYS a higher level and some of the stuff they do seems very odd to me but I remember point #1 and carry on.

4) Managers are real people too and have likes, dislikes and emotions just the same as you. There is nothing quite like having some guy screaming in your face but the second yo say something they don't like they go crying to the union steward.

5) We have much more work to do that just act on suggestions. I know that it appears we just sit around posting on forums all day but the reality is our days can be much longer than the people working for us. How many of you get calls at two in the morning to ask where a key is or what to do about a situation? Sometimes nightly!

6) You have a minor screw up and there can be no real harm done (well other than p1L0t) and you get spoken to or a slap on the wrist. A manger could make a minor error that costs millions or kills or maims somebody (in manufacturing). They lose their job, lose their career since they will never get hired again and could end up in prison.

7) Many MANY ideas and suggestions are just plain dumb or even batshit insane. Ya you think you are saving the world but much like #s 1 & 2 it just plain is not a good idea.

You guys may not like these statements but this is the real world and I heard the same complaints in the military and said much the same when I was starting out in business. Young guys have felt they knew how to do things better than their bosses since the beginning of time and that will never change even if it is far from the truth. You want to make a change then work hard, get promoted (yes it can take years and years and won't happen tomorrow) and make your changes.

Eventually you will work your way up through the ranks and think "OH shit ol Tcoat was right".

Oh and if anybody thinks starting their own business is easier than working for somebody else you are so far off base you can't eve see it. You get all the issues of being the CEO, the manager AND the worker. You just sit around all day calling yourself an idiot.

Since I am on my soapbox and the theme today is millennials, if you are between the ages of 19 and 35 SHOW UP FOR FUCKING WORK! I fully understand that there has been a shift in work ethics and that the two generations that came after me feel they are working to benefit themselves not the company but geeez. Ny one plant with and average age of 50 has a 4% absenteeism rate the other with an average age of 30 is at 20%. When we do attendance counselling it very quickly becomes clear that the young guys feel that they are entitled to come to work when they want and not when they don't. It costs us millions a year and that is the sort of shit that gets business sent offshore.
Allch Chcar (01-10-2017), Dadhawk (01-11-2017), EAGLE5 (01-11-2017), p1l0t (01-11-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #25227
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
...I know that it appears we just sit around posting on forums all day...
That's really a helpful post from a manager that lives on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Allch Chcar For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-11-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:30 PM   #25228
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
From a management point of view:
Nice stuff.

Sorry about the major rant here, y'all are free to move on.

One of the things I notice the most often is that finding a way from HERE to THERE is tough, and it takes experience and the right eye/understanding. Great, you have an idea and it really may be a good idea, but... you usually can't just change everything at the drop of a hat.

Some days I'd rather the younger devs just don't show up; there's no sense of architecture, it's just the favorite-library-of-the-week they want to re-implement EVERYTHING in, because it's SO much better, and... moving forward is even harder, and it's good whiz-bang until 6 months on you've had to pile so much more crap on top because no one actually knows how it works, so you patch over patches and even features are just patches... it's like the old VW's had more weight in pop-rivets than actual sheet-metal...

Somewhere along the way I realized I rarely have the right answers, so I architect systems that assume change is constant and no decision will last. I actually got to see the results start to show from that once, and it surprised me just HOW effective it was. Crazy stuff was happening.

Oh. And if you're constantly cleaning up after someone, the best thing you can do is first ensure you're not the one creating a mess because you misunderstand something... in doing so, you also paint a pretty clear picture of the mess-leaver if you have it right, and they're the one messing it up. Don't complain, just ensure that it's very clear what's happening. Maybe there's something they can't talk about, and they actually want you to keep doing that. You can ask - "should I keep cleaning this up" and they may be relieved and say "yes, that would be really helpful right now" or they might say "no" (unlikely) or... understand problems, ask questions, and look to improve what YOU are doing, and be sure you've got it right. Asking to understand things that don't make sense may illuminate the right-ness for you, but it might also illuminate the wrong-ness to people that didn't notice because it's been that way for so long...

And finally, remember: the most successful people often fail the most often.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-11-2017), Tcoat (01-11-2017)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis