follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
zarakamin

Drives: 2017 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Exhaust problems

I got a big problem. My car sounds like sh*t at the moment. I have a spec D catback exhaust. I didn’t have any problems with it at all and I’ve had it for 1.5 years. I was driving one day and my car just starts screeching really loud out of no where and I freaked out. I would let go of the break and it sounded like it was breaking into a million pieces.( ok maybe not but it’s my baby so it did to me). It stopped after I heard what sounded like a screw fall out. I moved my car and looked around tho and nothing was on the floor Now I don’t know if it has anything to do with it but my exhaust just started to sound weird right after. Like it would rattle and it sounds different too. In a bad way. I thought it was just an exhaust leak and I took it to the shop to let them deal with it and they said that something broke in the muffler. And I have to get a whole new exhaust. I don’t know if they are lying to me tho. Low key don’t want to get a new exhaust either.
Keep in mind I changed my wheel stud the day before so I thought the screeching sound was from me f*cking up my car when I was just trying to fix it. Everything happened at once so I don’t know what causes what anymore.. So. Help. Please. What should I do. And explain to me what’s going on if he was right. Because im so confused.
zarakamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Posting video would help.

However, I think you answered your own question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarakamin View Post
I got a big problem. My car sounds like sh*t at the moment. I have a spec D catback exhaust. I didn’t have any problems with it at all and I’ve had it for 1.5 years. I was driving one day and my car just starts screeching really loud out of no where and I freaked out. I would let go of the break and it sounded like it was breaking into a million pieces.( ok maybe not but it’s my baby so it did to me). It stopped after I heard what sounded like a screw fall out. I moved my car and looked around tho and nothing was on the floor Now I don’t know if it has anything to do with it but my exhaust just started to sound weird right after. Like it would rattle and it sounds different too. In a bad way. I thought it was just an exhaust leak and I took it to the shop to let them deal with it and they said that something broke in the muffler. And I have to get a whole new exhaust. I don’t know if they are lying to me tho. Low key don’t want to get a new exhaust either.
Keep in mind I changed my wheel stud the day before so I thought the screeching sound was from me f*cking up my car when I was just trying to fix it. Everything happened at once so I don’t know what causes what anymore.. So. Help. Please. What should I do. And explain to me what’s going on if he was right. Because im so confused.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
zarakamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Posting video would help.

However, I think you answered your own question.
How does a muffler break tho? What can cause it? Or is it just a cheap exhaust?
Can’t get the video yet but I’ll post one.
And excuse my ignorant questions. I’m still learning.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Sounds like you need to burn your car and get a new Civic Si.
Quality aftermarket parts. Sky's the limit.

On that note, take it to any muffler shop. Have them fix it. Simple as that. Unless it's totally messed up, then put the stock one back on. Unless you fucked your self and sold it or tossed it out.

Either way you are going to spend some money on it.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
zarakamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Sounds like you need to burn your car and get a new Civic Si.
Quality aftermarket parts. Sky's the limit.

On that note, take it to any muffler shop. Have them fix it. Simple as that. Unless it's totally messed up, then put the stock one back on. Unless you fucked your self and sold it or tossed it out.

Either way you are going to spend some money on it.

Yeah I screwed myself over and got rid of the stock. I have my old track pipe I can probably put on. But it’s really quiet. Not loud enough.
Honestly I probably should just trade in my car for the Si. I’m pregnant and got a baby on the way so I need a 4 door but I can’t get myself to let go of my car.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #6
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Pregnant and got a baby on the way?

Definitely time for a Civic. Gonna need 6 or 7 seats.

Mufflers fail, fairly common. Replace it and hope for the best, sounds like you might have a handful of problems going on at once.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, exhaust, help please, problem, spec d