follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Pokeguyjai

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ (AT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Vinny Ten Racing Review

Stopped by Vinny Ten Racing in Lindenhurst, Long Island. I've met Steve, their head mechanic, before this at a Subbie meet. Chatted him up about track days and other DEs. He is a great guy, very open to answering questions and sharing knowledge.

I got a set of hybrid pads from Counterspace Garage and also some Project Mu brake fluid (it's green!) for him to install.

First impression I got of the shop was that it was extremely clean and organized. Steve was in the Air Force and he worked on the planes for the AF, and it seems he picked up a few good habits.

The install was done quickly and carefully, and I asked him to help me bed the brakes which he had no problems with. He knew a spot near by where it could be done safely. I was in and out of there in an hour and a half. The labor rates were very reasonable too.

The only thing I wish they did were alignments. It does require a lot of space so it is understandable.

I'll definitely stop back there in the future for anything else I need, and I recommend their shop.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
supradoopra
Banned

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i didnt hear very good things about this guy. ive been in the ny/li car scene for a while. apparently a lot of newbs (not saying u r one) go to this guy. they used to joke that they call him vinny ten cause it takes about 10 seconds for him to blow up your car. lol ... brake fluid and pads are one thing (hard to screw that up) but i wouldnt want to find out the hard way on a real task that takes skill/knowledge. just be careful of which shop you choose on important jobs. i wouldnt think of going to him because of all the negativity ive herd about him and his shop.
supradoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:57 AM   #3
Pokeguyjai

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ (AT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supradoopra View Post
i didnt hear very good things about this guy. ive been in the ny/li car scene for a while. apparently a lot of newbs (not saying u r one) go to this guy. they used to joke that they call him vinny ten cause it takes about 10 seconds for him to blow up your car. lol ... brake fluid and pads are one thing (hard to screw that up) but i wouldnt want to find out the hard way on a real task that takes skill/knowledge. just be careful of which shop you choose on important jobs. i wouldnt think of going to him because of all the negativity ive herd about him and his shop.
I am not looking to start a flame war since there are big egos in the tuning community. All I am saying was that I had a good experience. I have been to EFI, PAS, and VTR for work on my BRZ. I have had good experiences with Jack/Mikey/Pete at EFI, Adam at PAS, and Steve at VTR. All great people with excellent customer service. But I have also heard "bad things" about all of these shops...

IMO there seems to be a lot of rumors and hear say when it comes to car shops and the tuning community... maybe stemming from beef? I dunno nor do I care. I just think that we should take it on a case by case basis, and based on first party experiences.

Thanks for the feedback though, not that I'm slamming you for your post but just saying.

FWIW the main reason why I gave VTR my biz is because Steve is a great dude who I have shared several beers with. I met him through a Subaru meet and he still goes to Subaru meets when he gets off work and has even told me to let him know when I do Auto Cross. Again IMO, this is a good way to attract business, whether he intended to or not.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:59 AM   #4
supradoopra
Banned

Drives: frs
as long as the work is good and ur happy i was just adding what i kno
supradoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to supradoopra For This Useful Post:
Pokeguyjai (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
itwillboost
35r + 35r = 70rr ?

Drives: Subaru BRZ Time Attack S13
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeguyjai View Post
I am not looking to start a flame war since there are big egos in the tuning community. All I am saying was that I had a good experience. I have been to EFI, PAS, and VTR for work on my BRZ. I have had good experiences with Jack/Mikey/Pete at EFI, Adam at PAS, and Steve at VTR. All great people with excellent customer service. But I have also heard "bad things" about all of these shops...

IMO there seems to be a lot of rumors and hear say when it comes to car shops and the tuning community... maybe stemming from beef? I dunno nor do I care. I just think that we should take it on a case by case basis, and based on first party experiences.

Thanks for the feedback though, not that I'm slamming you for your post but just saying.

FWIW the main reason why I gave VTR my biz is because Steve is a great dude who I have shared several beers with. I met him through a Subaru meet and he still goes to Subaru meets when he gets off work and has even told me to let him know when I do Auto Cross. Again IMO, this is a good way to attract business, whether he intended to or not.
This is very spot on statement. I have not had good experiences with VTR, but I have been impressed when I have driven one of their cars they built top to bottom in the past. Every one has there preferences and truthfully VTR is definitely not my favorite shop but their shop is a spot if I didn't know anything I would go, because like you said it's clean and professional looking. Also bottom line they do have years of experience.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itwillboost For This Useful Post:
Pokeguyjai (04-29-2014), supradoopra (04-29-2014)