follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 07-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #3529
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My thoughts exactly.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #3530
Jawnathin

Drives: Toyobaru FRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
How the car drives and behaves is different from how fast the car is.

The car is forgiving and easy to drive out of the box. A larger front sway and these new sticky tires makes it even easier. In some ways it is good as the car is very approachable and can be easily driven quickly. On the other hand, it can be bad as the car gets a little boring. Mash the throttle out of a corner and it sticks, no dramatics, no throttle modulation required.

IMO the car was most fun to drive in stock form and on stock tires. It was awesome.
Jawnathin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jawnathin For This Useful Post:
SeanRTR (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #3531
SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
I don't get why people don't like the Stones? They seem to be THE fastest tire on the market this year. Is this the same reason why some people don't like GTR's - they are just too "easy" to drive?

And with regard to your last comment, I'm making the opposite switch...I just sold my 400+ whp SM STI (not full prep, but you get the idea) for my FRS. I wanted something more competitive for it's class, RWD, and something with a lower "limit" that you could easily drive at the absolute limit.

People don't hate the Bridgestones, it's really just me. I get that everyone else is rejoicing that their times are fast, and their pax is soft. I just simply think these tires are boring on this platform, I would have to think that drivers in STS and STF would agree.. Nationals you only get three runs to figure it out, so it always comes down to skill, I just think a lot of the driving variables are gone (like throttle modulation, smooth turn-in), so now stuff like big $ shocks become more important. Oh well, it is what it is. I'm just bitter my wallet is a lot lighter and I'm not having nearly as much fun with my car. I'd be interested in your perspective on this after you drive the FR-S on RE71r's. I think you're going to get what I'm talking about, but maybe not. Please let me know if I'm being ridiculous.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanRTR For This Useful Post:
Biggins (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #3532
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Easy to drive may just mean you can sit back and enjoy just a little bit more. Yesterday was the first time that completely worked out for me - mostly comfort level finally settling in, but partly because I picked up a co-driver at the last minute and got a chance to see what someone else could do with my setup (and learned a bunch in the process.) I'm STX prepped so it's a bit different than CS, but "fun" was the first and last thing I heard about the car (his first time in a twin, and his usual car is a Corvette.)

As noted, the platform is already "easy to drive" and the tires build on that. I consider that a strength though. It won't make you fast, but you might have more fun getting there.

Maybe I'm the only one that doesn't like a twitchy car with snap consequences to a slightly bad decision though.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #3533
Jawnathin

Drives: Toyobaru FRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yeah, I don't think wanting a more challenging/engaging car means we want a twitchy car. There is a balance between engaging and frustrating to drive.

Not sure if this is the best example, but I got to drive my friend's ISF at the last autocross and I had SOOOOO much fun. The car would love to swing the rear end out and get crazy slip angles. It is an open diff so its constantly smoking a tire. It wasn't super fast, but it so fun to hoon around in. The whole open diff one tire fire thing might get a little old when trying to compete, but for that day it was a ton of fun and challenging.

It isn't just about HP either, I own a car that makes significantly more power so I'm used to that sensation. Simply this was just a really fun car to be in.

This is him being slow but obscene with the slip angles...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ff3d8MluI"]7/11/15 GGLC Autocross Lexus ISF - YouTube[/ame]
Jawnathin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #3534
chucky12012

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRTR View Post
People don't hate the Bridgestones, it's really just me. I get that everyone else is rejoicing that their times are fast, and their pax is soft. I just simply think these tires are boring on this platform, I would have to think that drivers in STS and STF would agree.. Nationals you only get three runs to figure it out, so it always comes down to skill, I just think a lot of the driving variables are gone (like throttle modulation, smooth turn-in), so now stuff like big $ shocks become more important. Oh well, it is what it is. I'm just bitter my wallet is a lot lighter and I'm not having nearly as much fun with my car. I'd be interested in your perspective on this after you drive the FR-S on RE71r's. I think you're going to get what I'm talking about, but maybe not. Please let me know if I'm being ridiculous.
I can appreciate this explanation more than the previous, given you feel limited by the quality of shocks from car to car and the associated finances. Hope you make it to nationals regardless, the more the merrier in my book, especially for top level competitors.
chucky12012 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chucky12012 For This Useful Post:
Biggins (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #3535
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Anyone else on here going to Toledo for the match tour this weekend? I also have an extra bed available now if anyone wants to split a hotel for a couple nights.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:44 AM   #3536
markw

Drives: 2014 FR-S
You guys that are datalogging, what are you using? I'm looking at solostorm, but want to get the throttle and other data points, possibly multiple cameras. I've got a gopro 3+ black right now.

Thanks,
Mark
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:06 AM   #3537
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Drives: '13 BRZ, 82 starlet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
You guys that are datalogging, what are you using? I'm looking at solostorm, but want to get the throttle and other data points, possibly multiple cameras. I've got a gopro 3+ black right now.

Thanks,
Mark
Harry's lap timer works well for me..
Sammakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #3538
SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Anyone else on here going to Toledo for the match tour this weekend? I also have an extra bed available now if anyone wants to split a hotel for a couple nights.
My local national site, but I'm road racing this weekend. Best of luck. Lots of grip down there.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #3539
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Drives: '13 BRZ, 82 starlet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigh View Post
Keep in mind with Harry's Lap Timer, it only had GoPro support on the iOS version last I looked.
Ah, missed the gopro part. I use gopro for quality video, and my phone for quality audio/overlay
Sammakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #3540
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post

Thanks,
Mark
I'm on Solostorm. I run internal camera + one GoPro through a Nexus 7. You get throttle % and RPM if you use the bluetooth OBD II device (although plugging it into the FR-S has been a little finnicky at times as it doesn't always read right away).

There are other comparable systems as well, though.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #3541
veloscaraptor

Drives: '15 fr-s
i just got two of my re-71s in (thanks ups, lol), but none of the tread wear/traction/temperature information is molded into the sidewall....

Is this just how they come? I thought the info had to be molded in to be street class legal.
veloscaraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #3542
SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloscaraptor View Post
i just got two of my re-71s in (thanks ups, lol), but none of the tread wear/traction/temperature information is molded into the sidewall....

Is this just how they come? I thought the info had to be molded in to be street class legal.

It's not marked on the tire. It's not actually 200 TW either, but they say it is, so you're legal. You won't get protested and ridiculed for cheating.