follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #15
juicyg6

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Good video.

I also bought this exhaust based on the advice given from this forum and I think it's a great exhaust even though it's pricey.

OP - what headers are you looking at? I would love something which is catless UEL which gives rumble but wouldn't be much louder than what it already is.
juicyg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juicyg6 For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 01:08 AM   #16
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I completely understand the term ‘sophisticated’ when describing this exhaust, and because it’s JASMA certified and relatively quiet my hunch is that it would pair very well with a catless header. I have an ACE 4-2-1 Type-A 350 equal length header and I’d really like to hear what it sounds like with this exhaust. If I had to guess, I’d say very good indeed!
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2018, 03:50 AM   #17
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Not a dead business when Fujitsubo is one of the active participants that write/rewrite the JASMA/JQR regulations. The sound regulations have changed but the exhausts they produce have also changed with it... and not because they just "go with the flow". It's more like, they helped shape the direction of exhaust sound regulations and everyone benefitted from it.

They've been doing this since day 1 because that's their core business. We enthusiasts tend to think there's a disconnect between what a manufacturer produces vs what we want, when in actuality this is only the case in markets where it is a free for all (i.e. US)

-alex
I would prefer to offer something like exhaust valves that keep the sound close to the levels of the past. I am not really a fun of paying handmade quality, or having carbon or titanium burnt tips for the looks or paying other internal flow changes if the gains are not that much important.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
A fair point. It is on the pricier side, but that's what happens when you buy handmade parts. Also, I didn't spend $1200

Dezod is another handmade exhaust, made in America, that gets you a good exhaust note, and it too will cost you around $1000. People are jaded by the multitude of cheap exhausts available these days, and forget that quality parts are still expensive. It's the same thing with coilovers. I know plenty of people who would consider my KW V3s to be a waste of money when there are $500 coilovers that will "get you what you want."
Not a new thing since there have been cheap aftermarket parts ever since the car was invented. They are just easier to get now.
We have a parts store here called Canadian Tire which many call "Crappy Tire" because they buy the cheap knockoff stuff they offer. If they bought the quality parts that very same store sells then they wouldn't have the same issue but they still blame the store.
There are perfectly valid reasons why some parts cost more than others and this exhaust is an excellent example of that.
ls1ac (07-30-2018), Stang70Fastback (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #19
monkeybike

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I would much rather pay an extra couple of hundred dollars up front for something like a Fujitsubo. OEM materials and techniques, correct fitment, handmade and checked QC, proper testing and R&D with a reputation for quality.

The alternative is saving a couple of hundred bucks for a catback manufactured in China to some measurements they've been sent, never having seen the actual car it's "designed" for, out of the cheapest "stainless" they can buy and sold by the thousands to any webstore/ebay store looking to offload them.

This goes for most parts not just exhaust. Sure name brands like TOMs/Gazoo/TRD/HKS etc may have some components manufactured in China. But they are built to a standard for a reason and QC'd before shipping.
monkeybike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeybike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #20
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicyg6 View Post
OP - what headers are you looking at? I would love something which is catless UEL which gives rumble but wouldn't be much louder than what it already is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
I completely understand the term ‘sophisticated’ when describing this exhaust, and because it’s JASMA certified and relatively quiet my hunch is that it would pair very well with a catless header. I have an ACE 4-2-1 Type-A 350 equal length header and I’d really like to hear what it sounds like with this exhaust. If I had to guess, I’d say very good indeed!
I'm looking at the same header that Jason has: ACE. I'm just a bit wary that any aftermarket header I put on the car will make it significantly louder, and I don't want it any louder than necessary. Or, more importantly even, that it'll introduce drone at certain speeds. That's something I wouldn't be able to deal with. My current setup has literally NO drone at any speed.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #21
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
It seems that (strangely) the only header that doesn't make the exhaust louder is the Apex'i EL combo with catted front pipe...
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #22
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@AceHeader-MT, do you guys have any experience with the results of coupling your header with this exhaust system? I know it's a long shot...

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 07-30-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:11 PM   #23
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
ACE EL headers are going to sound incredible and smooth just with more volume. Stock headers are basically EL (just a tad on the UEL side). I can't imagine its tone is going to change much.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #24
gpvecchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
ACE EL headers are going to sound incredible and smooth just with more volume. Stock headers are basically EL (just a tad on the UEL side). I can't imagine its tone is going to change much.
Well, stock headers have a cat...
Old 07-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #25
jflogerzi

Garage
True but if you still have the stock front-pipe I would not worry to much. EL Headers have a much smoother tone vs UEL headers. So I don't think you would get the rasp and harshness people get with other combo's
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
gpvecchi (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #26
gpvecchi

I would really like to hear a video with Ace A350, Fujitsubo front pipe and Blitz VS catback!
Old 07-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #27
jflogerzi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
I would really like to hear a video with Ace A350, Fujitsubo front pipe and Blitz VS catback!
Good luck. Ace Headers+ those exhausts might be a hard combo to find. You may want msg mike from CSG. If anyone have tested this combo or might know who has
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
gpvecchi (07-31-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 02:56 AM   #28
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
@AceHeader-MT, do you guys have any experience with the results of coupling your header with this exhaust system? I know it's a long shot...
I know it's pricey but if you can get your hands on a SuperEX header and dual resonated Fuji front pipe you'll be golden for sound. I can assure you it won't be too loud... just an extension of the "sophisticated" sound you already have.

I love this catback and would be all over it if it were compatible with the STI sports muffler. I have even contemplated getting a STI sports muffler and cutting the tips and getting them welded onto this catback but of course that's overly pricey and would create quality issues for ultimately a silly personal preference. Kudos to you for not getting it for 1200. I'm curious what you paid but I'm sure you'd rather not say.