follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #183
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam69 View Post
I found the stock suspension prettybad as we live in the country with some crap roads .
I could put up with it but my wife used to avoid getting into the car as much as possible due to an old neck injury.

Looked around for a fair while and was offered a really good deal on a set of Tog coilovers so decided to give them a go and must say I'm rather impressed with the difference in ride comfort while set to comfort / soft out of the 32 possible settings.

Wifey finds it sooooo much better and has no issue at all now with getting into it to go to town or whatever .

They do bottom out on some bigger pot holes etc but you tend to hear it far more than you feel it where as before it was the other way round although you still heard it but not as bad.
Hope that helps for those looking for options to improve your ride.
The TOG coilovers look good. They have adjustable mounts, so they don't lose shock travel or top out. The compression damping doesn't appear to be adjustable however, and compression damping is usually where manufacturers make their mistake in making damping too firm for low-speed street bumps. (I'm talking about 25 MPH sewer-lid head-bob here.) They say they are made for Australia's type of road. Potholes, in other words. Compression damping might be too stiff, in order to prevent bottoming out on potholes. I wouldn't trust the compression damping to be set for MY comfort, that's why I want adjustable compression damping, so I can set them up the way I like it.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #184
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
KW V3's didn't work for me for several reasons. I need at least stock ground clearance for gravel driveways, and the V3's are designed to be lowered at least 1" from stock height. The mounts aren't adjustable, only the spring perch, so lowering any more loses shock travel, and raising causes the shocks to top out. A shitty design, they only work well at a certain height. All coilovers should have threaded mounts.
I disagree with this.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (03-12-2015)
Old 10-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #185
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
The TOG coilovers look good. They have adjustable mounts, so they don't lose shock travel or top out. The compression damping doesn't appear to be adjustable however, and compression damping is usually where manufacturers make their mistake in making damping too firm for low-speed street bumps. (I'm talking about 25 MPH sewer-lid head-bob here.) They say they are made for Australia's type of road. Potholes, in other words. Compression damping might be too stiff, in order to prevent bottoming out on potholes. I wouldn't trust the compression damping to be set for MY comfort, that's why I want adjustable compression damping, so I can set them up the way I like it.

The damping adjustment does both compression and rebound on the Tog coilovers so even at low speeds like in the suburbs where you get water drainage sump grates etc they soak those up waaaay better than stock.

Must crank them up to the hardest setting one of these days and see what they're like but I think they will be pretty firm.
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #186
quality_sound

Drives: '15 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
KW V3's didn't work for me for several reasons. I need at least stock ground clearance for gravel driveways, and the V3's are designed to be lowered at least 1" from stock height. The mounts aren't adjustable, only the spring perch, so lowering any more loses shock travel, and raising causes the shocks to top out. A shitty design, they only work well at a certain height. All coilovers should have threaded mounts.
It's a performance suspension. Unless you have some springs custom made you're going to lose ride height.
quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #187
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Quote:
A shitty design, they only work well at a certain height. All coilovers should have threaded mounts.
For a given car all coilovers only work well at a certain height. The height of the damper dictates how much droop and how much bump travel the wheel has. The reason there are base adjusters is for economy of scale. Height adjustment should be done with springs and perch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
It's a performance suspension. Unless you have some springs custom made you're going to lose ride height.
Why would you need to have springs custom made given the huge choice offered by Hyperco, Eibach, Swift et al.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #188
NissanGuy

Drives: Strangely.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
My Perrin motor mounts improved the ride quality, same as on my Altima.

I'll show myself out.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #189
quality_sound

Drives: '15 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Why would you need to have springs custom made given the huge choice offered by Hyperco, Eibach, Swift et al.

Because ALL of those lower the car. He said he needed at least OEM ride height.
quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #190
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Because ALL of those lower the car. He said he needed at least OEM ride height.
Huh? Just looking at the Swift US website under 60mm dia there are 5,6,7,8,9 inch free length springs and under 65mm dia there are 5,6,7,8,9,10,11 inch free length springs. In the more common lengths the rates start at 4kg/mm. I'm not sure that a 9 inch spring at 5kg/mm would lower the car.

Take your pick.
http://www.swiftsprings.com/products...r-springs.html
http://www.swiftsprings.com/products...prings-65.html .

The other 2 manufactures offer a similar range.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #191
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Free length is only part of the equation. If the shocks are shorter than stock you'll be giving up a lot of droop travel to raise it up to stock height (or higher).
Old 10-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #192
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The stock suspension has a pretty good amount of droop travel. Stock shocks and an inch or inch and a half longer springs with stock stiffness would ride quite a bit higher but then you'd stay off the bump stops for more bumps and the suspension frequency might lead to a better ride.

Also, other factors affect how we perceive the car's ride. Try sitting more upright. Try to lower the sound volume, through matting and other measures. Big sports sedans can often get away with shitty rides by just being quiet. My kids almost never get carsick in my FR-S, but they constantly felt ill in the 550i Sport and often in my wife's Forester. I think a big part of it is how far upright they have to sit in the FR-S. A lack of wallowing is also good, but the 550i didn't wallow much. Damn stiff, actually.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #193
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Did the OP ever find a suspension option that works? I'm kinda in the same boat but I haven't tried as many setups.
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #194
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I never got an answer here, why don't you go Air? You don't need to slam. You have options and it's comfortable as fuck with the right set up
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #195
KoolBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellout View Post
Did the OP ever find a suspension option that works? I'm kinda in the same boat but I haven't tried as many setups.
If you don't mind a lower ride, I'll sell you my K3's. They are adjustable for compression and rebound. The compression is always too stiff, so you can adjust these to compensate. The ride height is supposed to be at the center of shock travel, so I think you have a 1 - 1.5" drop with these.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #196
KoolBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmtigers View Post
I never got an answer here, why don't you go Air? You don't need to slam. You have options and it's comfortable as fuck with the right set up
I have airlift digital, and I loved the air controls and adjustable shock mounts. The combination of airbag resistance and compression dampening was too stiff though. I got WAY too much road feel! I'm sure my Michelin PSS2's were a contributing factor though. If they had adjustable compression dampening they would have been perfect.

Tags
making seniors look bad, uberstupid