follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
white_knight

Drives: 2013 86 GTS - Pegasus White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perrin Catback - Misaligned Tips

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to receive some advice on my little exhaust situation. I just upgraded my exhaust -- Perrin catback + custom front pipe + custom overpipe -- and the tips aren't aligned. Specifically, the left tip pokes out more the right. The installer told it's due to the "custom weld" of the Perrin and could be fixed with an oxy.

Additionally, there is a bit of vibration and metallic rattle, particularly when going slow in reverse. I got a second opinion from another shop telling me the exhaust was not the right fit, even suspecting it to be a factory second. I asked if the problem could be due to the install, but he doesn't think so.

Just want to know if anyone else has experienced a similar issue and advise on next moves.

Cheers!
white_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
fatherfork
Fears Hiccups

Drives: Toyota badged 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
My Borla installed by Toyota is the same way. Left sticks out about 1cm further than the right.
fatherfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_knight View Post
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to receive some advice on my little exhaust situation. I just upgraded my exhaust -- Perrin catback + custom front pipe + custom overpipe -- and the tips aren't aligned. Specifically, the left tip pokes out more the right. The installer told it's due to the "custom weld" of the Perrin and could be fixed with an oxy.

Additionally, there is a bit of vibration and metallic rattle, particularly when going slow in reverse. I got a second opinion from another shop telling me the exhaust was not the right fit, even suspecting it to be a factory second. I asked if the problem could be due to the install, but he doesn't think so.

Just want to know if anyone else has experienced a similar issue and advise on next moves.

Cheers!
The tips on the Perrin catback can be adjusted simply by loosening the v-band clamps and turning the midpipe a bit. Also the hangers provide a bit of range to adjust. I would be suspicious of the second opinion since they seem to not understand how the perrin exhaust is installed. It's easy to install crooked if you just slap it together. I would get under the car at try locate where the pipes are hitting metal, the frontpipe and overpipe have pass very close to the subframe and body. If the aren't the same length and angles for flanges as the stock pipes they can rub and/or push the catback out of alignment

Last edited by Apoc; 01-17-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:57 AM   #4
white_knight

Drives: 2013 86 GTS - Pegasus White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
The tips on the Perrin catback can be adjusted simply by loosening the v-band clamps and turning the midpipe a bit. Also the hangers provide a bit of range to adjust. I would be suspicious of the second opinion since they seem to not understand how the perrin exhaust is installed. It's easy to install crooked if you just slap it together. I would get under the car at try locate where the pipes are hitting metal, the frontpipe and overpipe have pass very close to the subframe and body. If the aren't the same length and angles for flanges as the stock pipes they can rub and/or push the catback out of alignment
Thanks for this. Is it worth taking back to the original installers?
white_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_knight View Post
Thanks for this. Is it worth taking back to the original installers?
As long as you can comfortably get under the car, I would do it myself. Also, it's the S pipe that needs to be rotated slightly, not the midpipe. Mine had the passenger side tip sticking out farther, and doing this fixed it. I do have stock front pipe & over pipe though.

My Perrin exhaust has no rattles/vibrations, but again, I still have the stock front pipe & over pipe. My guess is that the rattle/vibration you are getting is due to the custom piping, and not the Perrin exhaust.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shagaliscious For This Useful Post:
smg1138 (09-21-2020), unsurety (08-07-2014)