follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
FT86 Speed Factory Short Shifter Review Thread

Sup Y'all. I installed the FT86SF Short shifter on my 17 BRZ PP last weekend. There were a couple of hiccups which is why I waited so long to make this thread.

Here's what happened
When I received the shifter, it looked like there was a set screw missing in the assembly that cause the whole assembly to twist about 15 degrees in either direction. I emailed them about it and they sent me a new one immediately. GREAT SERVICE Y'ALL. The VP of Operations of the company personally responded to my emails and got it all taken care of.

The shifter itself is fantastic. It's direct, not notchy, and feels FANTASTIC. I honestly never planned on buying a short shifter but this was an impulse purchase that I'm happy with. You can definetly tell the ball bearings in the linkage make a difference. There is very little side to side movement, and the feedback is way more defined than the OEM bushing.

The lockout is made out of delrin to avoid rattling, but nothing is perfect. Above 4-5k you can definitely still hear it rattle, but nowhere near as bad as the IRP or Kartboy shifters I've tested out. It looks like there is an Allen bold at the top of the assembly, I'm not sure what thats for but I emailed FT86SF to find out. Maybe thats whats rattling?
The only other complaint I have is that the bottom of the reverse lockout collides with the bolts holding the lockout plate to the carriage. It lifts the lockout ever so slightly. Not enough to significantly affect shift feel but its noticeable. @tehShirt has also noticed that. We both think that flat Allen head or low profile bolts should have been included with the kit, just like the Kartboy kit, especially at the price point.

Other than that, its a solid shifter with a great shift feel. I would highly recommend it, just for the reduction in rattling over some of the other options.

EDIT 2/9: Adding Photos
Shifter during install, its very well made.

Set Screw that is missing

Last edited by mjanmohammad; 02-09-2018 at 10:12 AM.
mjanmohammad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mjanmohammad For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (02-10-2018), Teseo (02-08-2018), TofuJoe (02-10-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #3
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Nah, I’ll stick to my copied version of the kartboy for $60 lol. 6 months and counting and still working fantastic.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
Nah, I’ll stick to my copied version of the kartboy for $60 lol. 6 months and counting and still working fantastic.
Link for the item pls?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #5
Auto_egr

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I just installed the same shifter (same BRZ spec as well, good choice) with the MTEC springs and have the issues you described. I also noticed on the ball of the shifter that there were machine steps instead of it being as smooth as OEM. I'm hoping they will just send me a replacement, love the shifter otherwise.
Auto_egr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Just ordered this shifter, spent the extra money over the torque solutions shifter due to the ball bearing bushing; but I'm worried now given the issues you guys have had.

Did you manage to get the weird 5th gear throw worked out, or the rattle?

EDIT: Upon rereading the OP's first post, I can see that the set screw was missing which causes the rattle. I'll be on the lookout when my shifter comes in.

Last edited by JBezugs; 02-20-2018 at 10:07 AM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
Auto_egr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Just ordered this shifter, spent the extra money over the torque solutions shifter due to the ball bearing bushing; but I'm worried now given the issues you guys have had.

Did you manage to get the weird 5th gear throw worked out, or the rattle?

Thankfully my set screw was still installed, but very loose. I tightened it down (after ripping up the interior again) and it was finally working well. However, I'm not happy with the overall quality, it rattles noticeably while cruising on the highway, I have about 0.25" of play while in gear from left to right, and the reverse lockout does impact the screws while shifting. Most likely going to talk to them and return it, it's pathetic that no one can design an OEM style short shifter without drawbacks. Hell, they didn't even make the lip on the reverse lockout large enough to hold the shift boot down, keeps popping up and looking sloppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Auto_egr For This Useful Post:
JBezugs (02-20-2018), tehShirt (02-20-2018), Teseo (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage

I'm having the same issues. In emails with them now.

The rattling is also due to the set screw on the top of the shifter that holds pressure against the lockout spring/cotter pin. Mine was so lose from the factory that the cotter pin was backing out. Even if you tighten the screw, the rattling is still present during acceleration and cruising.

My shift boot pops off all the time. Their measurements were off for this part.

The lockout does indeed strike the bolts when shifting to 2nd and 6th. You can see in the picture where the material is being chipped away.

Had to remove the shifter due to all these issues. IMO, the shorter throw is not worth all the compromises this shifter brings. Disappointed to say the least. I should have paid the extra for the STi part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_egr View Post
Thankfully my set screw was still installed, but very loose. I tightened it down (after ripping up the interior again) and it was finally working well. However, I'm not happy with the overall quality, it rattles noticeably while cruising on the highway, I have about 0.25" of play while in gear from left to right, and the reverse lockout does impact the screws while shifting. Most likely going to talk to them and return it, it's pathetic that no one can design an OEM style short shifter without drawbacks. Hell, they didn't even make the lip on the reverse lockout large enough to hold the shift boot down, keeps popping up and looking sloppy.

tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tehShirt For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #9
Auto_egr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post

I'm having the same issues. In emails with them now.

The rattling is also due to the set screw on the top of the shifter that holds pressure against the lockout spring/cotter pin. Mine was so lose from the factory that the cotter pin was backing out. Even if you tighten the screw, the rattling is still present during acceleration and cruising.

My shift boot pops off all the time. Their measurements were off for this part.

The lockout does indeed strike the bolts when shifting to 2nd and 6th. You can see in the picture where the material is being chipped away.

Had to remove the shifter due to all these issues. IMO, the shorter throw is not worth all the compromises this shifter brings. Disappointed to say the least. I should have paid the extra for the STi part.

Thank you for the follow up info! I will be Uninstalling mine tonight. May actually go with the STI version or TRD quick shifter. Hoping my cotter pin will make it home from work tonight....

Old 02-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

FT86 Speed Factory Short Shifter Review Thread

Going to try and cancel my order the shifter based on the teething issues you guys have mentioned. Thanks for letting the community know.

EDIT: The shifter is special order from where I ordered it from so I cannot cancel the order... so I’ll be moving forward with the installation, is there any way I can fix the issues you guys have noted? Like the size of some some shorter head bolts for the shifter plate for example, like the Kartboy had.

Last edited by JBezugs; 02-20-2018 at 01:58 PM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #11
tehShirt

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Going to try and cancel my order the shifter based on the teething issues you guys have mentioned. Thanks for letting the community know.

EDIT: The shifter is special order from where I ordered it from so I cannot cancel the order... so I’ll be moving forward with the installation, is there any way I can fix the issues you guys have noted? Like the size of some some shorter head bolts for the shifter plate for example, like the Kartboy had.
I'm sure that shorter bolts exist, but I do not know the specs of the factory bolt unfortunately. Another solution would be to remove the excess material on the lockout itself.

The rattling is a no-go for me, even after adjusting the tension on the lockout spring. Reminds me of a coin in a metal cup. Happens too frequently and is audible over music/exhaust/road noise.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:12 AM   #12
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
At this point should people just go with the TRD short shifter even if it isn't as short as other short shifters?
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #13
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Hey guys,

Any updates with the shifter whether your issues have been resolved?
Old 02-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #14
tehShirt

Garage
I stopped using the shifter because of the issues. Rattling was present on every drive. Shift boot wouldn't stay on. Colliding with the bolts was worrisome. Not worth it IMO.

FT86 SF said they haven't heard complaints of these issues.

The STI shifter can be had for around $330 on some sites. I should have gone that route.