follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #57
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
How many videos have you seen where the vette driver won't go WOT until they're pointed straight *after* the corner? How many of these drivers smoothly transition from partial to full throttle?
So wait. We're NOT supposed to stab frantically at the throttle while jerking at the steering wheel?? I've been doing this all wrong!

For seriously though, aren't you supposed to roll into the throttle after the apex and use it to push the car out to the track-out point?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #58
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
How many videos have you seen where the vette driver won't go WOT until they're pointed straight *after* the corner? How many of these drivers smoothly transition from partial to full throttle?

These are skills that you most likely will not learn in a vette.
And if you do use a Vette in which to learn them, you may well end up needing more than one Vette to do it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
For seriously though, aren't you supposed to roll into the throttle after the apex and use it to push the car out to the track-out point?
Yes, it should take you a couple to a few tenths to go flat with a non-stab of the throttle at the apex - depending upon the corner, and the car, and the driver.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #59
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you want fast for cheap, the C5Z is the way to go. I can guarantee that you'll be using the power as a crutch though.

That's a good point too. The FR-S is so gentle, I can try different lines and techniques, and still gather the car up when things go south. It'd be much easier to lose it with 400+ hp and loads of torque.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #60
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Out of curiosity, among the C5-Z, C6-GS, and KWSC-BRZ, which did you enjoy the most at the track? BTW hope you don't mind me picking your brain a bit, just rare to find someone who's tried most of the routes I'm considering.
I think this car is the most fun but I am not sure if it's due to nimbleness or the suspension mods and tires..because in my previous cars I never made drastic changes such as coilovers, supercharget kis, aero mods.. etc.. It was more like basic bolt ons and some good brakes and tires ..that's it

with all said, I think everyone should own a Vette in their lifetime at least once to get the feeling of the proper supercars..

Quote:
If you want fast for cheap, the C5Z is the way to go. I can guarantee that you'll be using the power as a crutch though.

Mike, I agree with you on your last sentence since Vette may not be a good beginner car Miata or BRZ/FRS might be a lot better..

but even in the hands of a professional driver, Corvette cannot be driven the same way so you have to respect the power..too early on the throttle and/or WOT and it'll bite your ass..

for god's sake car makes about 350 lb-ft at IDLE..I repeat IDLE so I'd say it's more like the relative speed since it's a lot more compared to slower cars.. due to amount of power, not necessarily as a crutch..

also transmission cannot be rushed like the smaller japanese cars like Randy Pobst once said "it's a great transmission but you can't rush it"

let's put it into a perspective, you will see that the Vette is in a different universe (btw, it says "Z06" in the graph but it's a LS3 with basic bolt ons since Z06 typically makes about 460 whp on dynoject)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
So wait. We're NOT supposed to stab frantically at the throttle while jerking at the steering wheel?? I've been doing this all wrong!

do I sense a bit of sarcasm or you are really serious about that
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #61
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:

How to run down a C5 Z06 with only 200whp....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd43lGqHQy4"]Subaru BRZ at Atlanta Motor Speedway with Just Track It 7/26/14 - YouTube[/ame]

In all seriousness though I do get asked by multiple spectators at every track event I've driven recently if my car is FI and they are always surprised by my response that it's still n/a. When you take your time to set these cars up properly with quality suspension and braking components with sticky tires, aggressive alignment, and enough weight reduction they can be pretty quick without boost.

I still would like a modest 9psi or so through a C30-94 Rotrex SC though, for a reliable 280-300whp with E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
Now my question is - how fast/slow is a well driven 86 on the track compared to semi stock-ish evos, stis and the other usual track suspects? On a 1.45 lap - how much time difference can I expect? I would ofcourse mod the car towards trackability (basic boltons, tune, brakes, slicks)...

See above and also click the link in my signature to view my build thread which has a ton of NA track footage among other "fast" sports cars which should give you a good point of reference. Or you can just go straight to my YouTube Channel

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 07-29-2014 at 04:08 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-29-2014), stevo_12v (07-30-2014), WillRacer1jz (07-30-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #62
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
How to run down a C5 Z06 with only 200whp....

with all due respect, in a course like that you should never be able to see a Z06 even a regular FRC Vette (C5) would leave you in a dust..simply because it's just in a different league

he was probably an inexperienced guy and possibly an old folk who is discussing his AARP membership with other Vette owners between sessions..
ask me how I know the typical Vette owner

I can easily pass many of the GT-Rs and GT3, GT3RS cars even some Ferraris at lapping days..does that make me a superior driver? or mean my car is faster? absolutely NOT, it just makes them inexperienced drivers that's all..

there was this one time (when I had the C5 Z06 with bolt ons) a guy in his Civic tried to race me on the highway and I was driving in cruise control..my car kept pulling on him when pushing the "+" on my cruise control..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-29-2014), Rampage (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #63
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
with all due respect, in a course like that you should never be able to see a Z06 even a regular FRC Vette (C5) would leave you in a dust..simply because it's just in a different league

he was probably an inexperienced guy and possibly an old folk who is discussing his AARP membership with other Vette owners between sessions..
ask me how I know the typical Vette owner

I can easily pass many of the GT-Rs and GT3, GT3RS cars even some Ferraris at lapping days..does that make me a superior driver? or mean my car is faster? absolutely NOT, it just makes them inexperienced drivers that's all..
Agree completely, I hope you sensed my sarcasm. The Vette could have easily dusted me and the driver matched your stereotype perfectly. As I have several times before with Cayman S, GT3's, Vettes and other faster cars on track, my ability to work a point-by out of their drivers just means that sometimes I get lucky and it makes for entertaining GoPro footage
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-29-2014), glamcem (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #64
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Agree completely, I hope you sensed my sarcasm. The Vette could have easily dusted me and the driver matched your stereotype perfectly. As I have several times before with Cayman S, GT3's, Vettes and other faster cars on track, my ability to work a point-by out of their drivers just means that sometimes I get lucky and it makes for entertaining GoPro footage
if you were behind the wheel of that Z06 it would be a scary ride and fast ride for sure (driver factor) because it requires some serious man berries to drive a Vette at limits (especially for the passenger)..

regardless, good driving
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-29-2014), CSG Mike (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #65
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
if you were behind the wheel of that Z06 it would be a scary ride and fast ride for sure (driver factor) because it requires some serious man berries to drive a Vette at limits (especially for the passenger)..

regardless, good driving
I can affirm this is true. I was the passenger in a C7 Vette that was running 1:40 pace at Summit Point Shenandoah on street tires, and not going to lie, that was a bit scary never having rode with the driver before.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
glamcem (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #66
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
P.s. I have no intention of boosting the car anytime soon so answers should relate to NA.
Here's pro driver Charles Espenlaub driving @smbstyle 's BRZ at Sebring and cranking a 2:39 out of it. Completely stock motor, double-adjustable coilovers, and 215/45/17 Nitto NT-01 R-compound tires.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qDQ2d7vas"]Espenlaub in the BRZ at Sebring - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:
He loved the car, couldn't believe how well it drove and handled, and how it was just a point and shoot car.
Quote:
However ... I am competitive.
As far as true competition goes, and not just having fun at a DE, there are some good examples out there to show some perspective on how this relatively new platform is stacking up. Here's a n/a car setting a lap record at Tsukuba circuit. Still running a FA20 engine and using parts available off the TRD shelf:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Tue_zyMQI"]86 TRD Griffon Concept 5th test - YouTube[/ame]

Another n/a car at Road Atlanta setting the winning time and new class lap record of 1:43.92 in Enthusiast RWD at Global Time Attack. Basically just coilovers, tune, and sticky street tires.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlEX2a6jf-M"]Global Time Attack Road Atlanta 2013 Element Tuning FRS Win - YouTube[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
glamcem (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #67
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Are you referring to the valve springs? because I had my valve spring fail on me once but I didn't blow the engine.. it's a pretty easy and cheap upgrade for some reason C5 Z06 engines use yellow, german made valve springs (not sure why, lol) and I upgraded them with 800whp rated US made ones ..easy fix..

if I knew it earlier that would be my first upgrade for sure
Yes, springs. Apparently even the uprated springs break. A friend just had it happen. Just something to keep in mind for possible costs.

Anyway, I had a C5 Z06, it was fast and fun and had the best soundtrack, but the feel was numb; it's a sledgehammer. I find the BRZ much more fun. I love how you can feel each contact patch.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #68
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Anyway, I had. C5Z06, it was fast and fun and had the best soundtrack, but the feel was numb; it's a sledgehammer. I find the BRZ much more fun.
If the Vette is a sledgehammer then the BRZ must be an x-acto knife
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
rb6freak (07-30-2014), Sleepless (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #69
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Yes, springs. Apparently even the uprated springs break. A friend just had it happen. Just something to keep in mind for possible costs.

Anyway, I had. AC5Z06, it was fast and fun and had the best soundtrack, but the feel was numb; it's a sledgehammer. I find the BRZ much more fun. I love how you can feel each contact patch.
yes, but like I said it's a very easy and cheap fix ..my friend didn't change his springs and never ran into same issue..

I agree with your comment on the numb steering feel but in the mean time I never tried PFADT coilovers or other suspension upgrades..people seem to like their C6 GS with DRM Bilsteins and they claim bushing and sway bar upgrades do wonders but I don't know ..I think..I still prefer the feel of the BRZ though..
Old 07-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #70
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Are you referring to the valve springs? because I had my valve spring fail on me once but I didn't blow the engine.. it's a pretty easy and cheap upgrade for some reason C5 Z06 engines use yellow, german made valve springs (not sure why, lol) and I upgraded them with 800whp rated US made ones ..easy fix..

if I knew it earlier that would be my first upgrade for sure
It's a little off topic but the valve issue was a LS7 issue specifically several motors popped due to exhaust valves dropping. The general thought is that faulty head production from 06 to 11 (valve guides) was the root cause.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote