follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #29
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Maybe the scratches were an extra cost option
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouhei View Post
Also, where on earth did you pay $2,000 for an STi lip? They're like $5-600 shipped from Japanparts.com, at least to the US anyways...

BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #30
BRZfan

If I bought a Chevrolet Camaro and then went back to the dealer and complained about it not being able to keep up with a 4WD Jeep on rocky trails would I have a leg to stand on????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouhei View Post
As for letting this go; I will certainly not let a dealer push me around like this. We, as consumers have our rights to complain if there is such bad service.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #31
BRZfan

Like I said, it is not effective evidence. It is superfluous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
I know what you're trying to say and I appreciate your response but what if lets say after I told them this, they decide to turn off my dashcamera? Whoops, there goes my evidence.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #32
meeskee2

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ Limited, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My damage wasn't nearly as bad as yours but I have a tow hook plate mount on the front of my car. When I brought my car in for service last summer my plate was all sorts of bent up. I could tell it was from the service tech's legs leaning on it. People need to pay more attention to what they are doing.

"Some guys think that having a better car makes them better than other guys, and those guys are right." -Top Gear
meeskee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #33
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Already dealt with the Service Manager, he was giving me hell. They are not admitting at all, no apologies, no working it out... Just straight on "NO! Not our fault!"

Regarding the crappy initial picture; I know it sucks but I just took it as a precaution, never knew it actually came to this...
Again:

1) bad pictures = no conclusive evidence, stop using that as judgment against them. No one will be able to determine what the condition of the lip was before, so you might as well stop there.

2) They can give you hell all they want, but as already pointed out: you taking pictures beforehand and being paranoid about the situation almost makes the dealer feel like they're being trapped.

If I were you, I wouldn't have bothered communicating that there was pictures beforehand. I would discuss that there were scratches, then escalate with video evidence if they deny.

And no, Subaru corporate is NOT a solution for you in this case. See below.

Quote:
Would STI parts not considered OEM aftermarket?
Nope. The lip was sold in Japan only, you imported it on your own and you're left to service it on your own. That's how dealer optional parts work if you buy it and use it for a market it wasn't originally intended to be sold in.

Just because it's made by Subaru doesn't mean they are obligated to cover it in all countries that they sell a car.

Quote:
I know what you're trying to say and I appreciate your response but what if lets say after I told them this, they decide to turn off my dashcamera? Whoops, there goes my evidence.
Again, why discuss this after the fact? The way you're presenting this, you're ASSUMING they will damage your car. Isn't that the whole point of having a dealer work on your car, that you will have good faith that they won't damage the car?

If I were you I'd not bother with any evidence. I'd ask the service advisor beforehand to inspect the car (esp the front lip), and tell them that it's easy to scratch. They should note on the service work that "aftermarket lip installed" or something to that effect, to take precaution. If the lip came back damaged after you were done, you can then negotiate and/or bring up video as evidence.

But if you want to assume they'll fuck up, then they'll fuck up.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Marchy (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #34
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Again:

1) bad pictures = no conclusive evidence, stop using that as judgment against them. No one will be able to determine what the condition of the lip was before, so you might as well stop there.

2) They can give you hell all they want, but as already pointed out: you taking pictures beforehand and being paranoid about the situation almost makes the dealer feel like they're being trapped.

If I were you, I wouldn't have bothered communicating that there was pictures beforehand. I would discuss that there were scratches, then escalate with video evidence if they deny.

And no, Subaru corporate is NOT a solution for you in this case. See below.

Nope. The lip was sold in Japan only, you imported it on your own and you're left to service it on your own. That's how dealer optional parts work if you buy it and use it for a market it wasn't originally intended to be sold in.

Just because it's made by Subaru doesn't mean they are obligated to cover it in all countries that they sell a car.

Again, why discuss this after the fact? The way you're presenting this, you're ASSUMING they will damage your car. Isn't that the whole point of having a dealer work on your car, that you will have good faith that they won't damage the car?

If I were you I'd not bother with any evidence. I'd ask the service advisor beforehand to inspect the car (esp the front lip), and tell them that it's easy to scratch. They should note on the service work that "aftermarket lip installed" or something to that effect, to take precaution. If the lip came back damaged after you were done, you can then negotiate and/or bring up video as evidence.

But if you want to assume they'll fuck up, then they'll fuck up.

-alex
Thanks for your input. I've already decided and on top of that I've talked to my salesman who sold me the car and he even agreed with me. He mentioned that there was even a policy about backing up vehicles into a stall with curbs.

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #35
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It's really douchey of the dealer people not to just fucking apologize to you for scraping your lip and throw you a bone of some kind, but at the same time it seems like a waste of your energy to be getting this worked up about it-- it's a plastic thing that goes on the very bottom of the front of your car. It's going to get scraped.

Just think of this way: they've freed you from having to experience that awful remorseful feeling you'd have felt yourself when you put the first scrape on a pristine, factory-fresh front end. There's a reason people put <$200 splitters on their hundred-thousand dollar GT3's-- they're gonna get scraped up. If it's a show thing or something maybe put a cheap splitter on when you're using the car, and pop the STI one on for shows?
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #36
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Technically, they scratched a $400 lip. But, they obviously scratched it a bit. Couldn't you at least tell them before hand to be careful of the lip kit, and request to back the car in when finished?

Agreed with whoever mentioned before, your lip is going to see much more damage over the years.
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #37
Kuri

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBRZ View Post
that's barely any damage. I would just not pay for what ever they were doing (oil change etc) and not go back.
Damn your sig. I was like dafuq... sorry for off topic
Kuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kuri For This Useful Post:
PollosHermanos (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #38
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
The funny thing about this is that there's a $100 STi lip that, for all intents and purposes, looks and functions the same as the $400 one. If I was going to get a lip, I would go for the cheaper version because I know that it'd only be a matter of time before I scrape it again and I wouldn't really sweat it too much. It's not like it's going to rust and fall off.

But seriously, they should've just comped the oil change and call it a day.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #39
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuri View Post
Damn your sig. I was like dafuq... sorry for off topic
Got me too.

Thus endeth the joke!
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #40
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
i went to a rally cross event and never worried about scrapes under the car again.

IT would be something if they broke it, but they didn't. You'll get scrapes like that from road debris.

Face it, your car is going to get scratches and dings through out its life. It's not even damage you can see unless its off the ground on a lift.

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #41
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
i went to a rally cross event and never worried about scrapes under the car again.

IT would be something if they broke it, but they didn't. You'll get scrapes like that from road debris.

Face it, your car is going to get scratches and dings through out its life. It's not even damage you can see unless its off the ground on a lift.
I understand the fact that lips will be scratched eventually; but it was his attitude and his inability to diffuse the problem and correct what's wrong, there was no remorse or sympathy from his tone of voice.

Customer Service.

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #42
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Go above their heads, talk to the general manager or the owner of the dealership. Be sure to remind that person that you have videos and have posted them online and you're happy to take them down once you've negotiated a "fix."
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote