follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #15
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morswestford View Post
interesting idea, how do i easily open the air intake to spray that?
Can you push the car into a garage or something to get it warm? That's probably the easiest solution
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
interesting idea, how do i easily open the air intake to spray that?
Just crack open the air cleaner cover and spray it into the air cleaner box ..... it won't hurt to hit the air filter itself.

That was a common way we used to get diesel trucks started in cold weather.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:05 AM   #17
morswestford

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Just crack open the air cleaner cover and spray it into the air cleaner box ..... it won't hurt to hit the air filter itself.

That was a common way we used to get diesel trucks started in cold weather.

humfrz

can you show a picture of exactly what it looks like? sorry never did this before.
morswestford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 AM   #18
morswestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Can you push the car into a garage or something to get it warm? That's probably the easiest solution
afraid not
Old 03-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #19
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Did you by chance when talking to the gas station find out if they had tested the gas to verify what your seeing? Reason I ask is it might not be that its super high in ethanol it could just have water in the fuel.

Edit: For some what of a reference I have run e85 late into the fall here in Minnesota and she started fine on sub 32 deg days. Also completely different car but I ran e85 year round in my 02 wrx and it started at -20
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #20
humfrz

Quote:
can you show a picture of exactly what it looks like? sorry never did this before.
What I mean by the air cleaner box is the plastic box near the front of the engine compartment on the drivers side that houses the air filter (assuming you have the OEM intake system).

There are two snaps at the top, just unsnap them like you were going to change the air filter. When you get the two sections of the box apart far enough to see in there, simply spray some of the starter fluid down into the air cleaner box.

Just leave the box partially open and crank the engine over. It should start and run off the ether for a spell. If it starts and runs, then button up the box.

If it starts and runs but then sputters out, give it another shot. Repeat until you run out of starter fluid or patience.

If the engine doesn't continue to run after that ........ just go with plan "B".

PS - the remaining starter fluid is great for starting motorcycles, lawn mowers and the like.

Reminds me of the time back-in-the-day, in Connecticut, one warm, Saturday morning, I heard the sound of many attempts from trying to start a lawn mower.

It was this neighbor girl, dressed in short shorts and halter top, cranking on her lawn mower. humfrz to the rescue with his can of starter fluid. The neighbor girl was a looker for sure, especially with the beads of perspiration trickling down between her breasts.

Well, after several shots and pulls, that mower wouldn't start ....... so, I checked the gas tank ....... bone dry!

The moral of that story is ...... ...... pay attention to what you are doing!

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
ajcarson11 (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #21
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
What I mean by the air cleaner box is the plastic box near the front of the engine compartment on the drivers side that houses the air filter (assuming you have the OEM intake system).

There are two snaps at the top, just unsnap them like you were going to change the air filter. When you get the two sections of the box apart far enough to see in there, simply spray some of the starter fluid down into the air cleaner box.

Just leave the box partially open and crank the engine over. It should start and run off the ether for a spell. If it starts and runs, then button up the box.

If it starts and runs but then sputters out, give it another shot. Repeat until you run out of starter fluid or patience.

If the engine doesn't continue to run after that ........ just go with plan "B".

PS - the remaining starter fluid is great for starting motorcycles, lawn mowers and the like.

Reminds me of the time back-in-the-day, in Connecticut, one warm, Saturday morning, I heard the sound of many attempts from trying to start a lawn mower.

It was this neighbor girl, dressed in short shorts and halter top, cranking on her lawn mower. humfrz to the rescue with his can of starter fluid. The neighbor girl was a looker for sure, especially with the beads of perspiration trickling down between her breasts.

Well, after several shots and pulls, that mower wouldn't start ....... so, I checked the gas tank ....... bone dry!

humfrz
I can't help read this story and imagine you in your house, peering out your window with the can of starter fluid already in hand.

EDIT: I do agree with the concept of start fluid though. You just need to get the cylinder/block warm enough to vaporize the cold E85 as it enters the engine. That may be more challenging than we think... but having it fired up for a few seconds should help.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-13-2017), Reamer (03-20-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #22
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

humfrz
NO, NO, NO, NO
Give it ONE shot. If it starts great if it doesn't or quits don't keep spraying. Ether will strip the oil off the cylinders in a hurry if it isn't fully burnet up. Could get away with it in the sloppy old engines but could cause some serious issues on these. Also not sure what it would do to the MAF sensor on these cars.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #23
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Damnit humfrz, you left me flaccid at the end.

Quote:

humfrz
Old 03-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
morswestford

Quote:

humfrz
i do not have the OEM air intake, i have a jackson racing supercharger installed, and i have their air cooler system. i didn't install it and im not sure if i want to mess with it.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #25
morswestford

today it's above freezing and i still can't start my car. i may have to tow my car to a shop to figure this out. i can't believe this. all this trouble just because i have e85 in my car and it's not even that cold out.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #26
humfrz

Quote:
i do not have the OEM air intake, i have a jackson racing supercharger installed, and i have their air cooler system. i didn't install it and im not sure if i want to mess with it.
Well, OK, that's even easier.

If your kit is like the one in the picture, just spray the starter fluid on the that dry cylindrical air cleaner ...... or the opening wherever the engine is getting it's air from. Spray for about 2 seconds for starters, then up the dose if necessary.

This shouldn't be all that hard. Maybe you should ask a friend to help you ....

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #27
humfrz

Quote:
today it's above freezing and i still can't start my car. i may have to tow my car to a shop to figure this out. i can't believe this. all this trouble just because i have e85 in my car and it's not even that cold out.
Well, now, morswestford, ...... this engine was designed to run NA, burning gasoline .......

Sorry ...... must be my nap time ....... OMG daylight savings time change ....... it's PAST my nap time .......

ZZZZZZZZ
Old 03-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #28
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Try a can of heet as I suggested. Even if its not the problem its cheap and does not damage anything even if water in the gas isnt the problem
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e85, engine start, flex fuel, moto east, subaru brz