follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #281
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
How old are you? If ~30 or so that would explain your misplaced love for an under the radar Corolla that really wasn't a very good car when it was new. Please get over yourself and move forward.
ok boomer

But in all seriousness, calm the hell down. I never said I loved the AE86. I simply stated my opinion regarding the Celica's obscurity to many people. The Celica may have been the better known template, but it wasn't as if it was any more popular here in the U.S. when it was on sale.

As I said before: Toyota could have just used the name "FR-S" worldwide and it would have still been a hit. Being that this is a car with no previous generations prior, I feel that an entirely new name would have been perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-22-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 06:34 PM   #282
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
Looking into possibly getting a used BRZ. Should I wait until the next gen gets announced for the used market to take a dip in price? How confident are we that this will be ready for the 2021 model year? I mean there have been rumors of a BRZ STI practically every year since 2013, and none of it came to fruition.

This is a gamble only you should have to take, Will the next gen be what you want or do you see the present model acceptable?

There just so happens there is a lava for sale that came to market of late...

If I were in your place if your patient, I would wait for the end of 2020 to see if the next gen will have batteries included or not! The present gen may go up in value if the new gen really stinks but that would take a few months for the market to react. If so by then jump on a used 86 bargain within the next 3-6 months after you see if the next one is of your persuasion...

As per the STI version, they have popped up every second year lately The call em TS Tuned by STI...
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #283
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That damned food delivery cartoon has a whole generation convinced that the AE86 Corolla was ell know and loved. I bet there wasn't 1.000 people that even heard of it in North America back when it existed. Even they probably didn't refer to it as an "AE86" at the time.
You're not wrong, honestly. Same could be said for the F&F series with the Supra. Is that necessarily a bad thing, though? It's opened peoples' eyes to the fact that Toyota can build some kick-ass cars, and aren't just good at making the beige Camrys and Corollas.

Now if there was a movie/TV show that made the Celica popular, we'll probably see Toyota bring that back too.
Quote:
Old 02-22-2020, 09:16 PM   #284
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Here in AU, we don't need a movie or TV show to make them popular, there has always been celicas in our race series.

You cannot go to a historic race series without seeing all the old girls still being thrown around in anger.

Much like the MX5, and yes, the twins as well, they were known as "hairdressers" cars, and never really shook that title, mainly due the bogan attitude of the only real race car is a V8.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (02-23-2020), HachiRokuX (02-22-2020), Tcoat (02-22-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 09:50 PM   #285
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Here in AU, we don't need a movie or TV show to make them popular, there has always been celicas in our race series.

You cannot go to a historic race series without seeing all the old girls still being thrown around in anger.

Much like the MX5, and yes, the twins as well, they were known as "hairdressers" cars, and never really shook that title, mainly due the bogan attitude of the only real race car is a V8.
AU is only one part of the world market though. Celicas were popular here in the U.S., but they were lumped together with the Corolla and Camry as fuel-efficient FWD econo-cars. Not many enthusiasts would give the Celica so much as a second glance.

In regards to labelling the 86 a "Celica," it would probably not have changed sales as much, just like how branding the 86 initially as a Scion probably did nothing to affect sales. The average buyer now probably wouldn't give a shit about whatever name the 86 was given.

As far as racing goes, we had a Toyota Pro-Celebrity race series that historically used Celicas until 2005, then transitioned to Scion tCs, and then finally the FR-S. Series is gone now, but I wish something like that started up again, this time in the vein of 86CUP where celebrities, pros, and 86/BRZ owners can go head to head with each other.

I would love to own a Celica like this:
Name:  RA Celica.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  47.1 KB
Quote:
Old 02-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #286
KittenMittens

Drives: In the market
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red One View Post
This is a gamble only you should have to take, Will the next gen be what you want or do you see the present model acceptable?

There just so happens there is a lava for sale that came to market of late...

If I were in your place if your patient, I would wait for the end of 2020 to see if the next gen will have batteries included or not! The present gen may go up in value if the new gen really stinks but that would take a few months for the market to react. If so by then jump on a used 86 bargain within the next 3-6 months after you see if the next one is of your persuasion...

As per the STI version, they have popped up every second year lately The call em TS Tuned by STI...
The next gen will be outside of my price range, hence why I'm looking at the used market. I'm not really worried about buyers remorse that the new models will be better, I'm sure they will be. It's more so that I might miss out on possibly 1-2K in savings by waiting for the market to shift (supply goes up, demand goes down for the used 1st gens) in reaction to the announcement of the next gen.

By STI model, I meant the rumors of a turbo model from the factory with ~250 HP, a la the WRX -> STI, which never happened with this generation.
KittenMittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:12 PM   #287
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Quote:
The next gen will be outside of my price range, hence why I'm looking at the used market. I'm not really worried about buyers remorse that the new models will be better, I'm sure they will be. It's more so that I might miss out on possibly 1-2K in savings by waiting for the market to shift (supply goes up, demand goes down for the used 1st gens) in reaction to the announcement of the next gen.

By STI model, I meant the rumors of a turbo model from the factory with ~250 HP, a la the WRX -> STI, which never happened with this generation.
It's a gamble, but if I were in your shoes, I would just start looking now. Why wait to save a few thousand?

Rumors are simply that: rumors. It's highly unlikely a turbo BRZ will ever happen with generation or the next.
Quote:
Old 02-23-2020, 12:46 AM   #288
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Or, if as suspected, the next gen comes out, sucks big time, and the first gen go up in value and you spend an additional 1 or 2K on a used one.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #289
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Or, if as suspected, the next gen comes out, sucks big time, and the first gen go up in value and you spend an additional 1 or 2K on a used one.
You think the enthusiast's opinion of the 2nd gen is really going to affect the supply/demand? We're probably only ~10% of the actual number of twins sold.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #290
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
You think the enthusiast's opinion of the 2nd gen is really going to affect the supply/demand? We're probably only ~10% of the actual number of twins sold.
Oh I have never endorsed that the "enthusiasts" are even remotely influential in car sales. Even with the twins.
When I said it "sucks" I mean it has neither mainstream no enthusiasts that like it and it just doesn't sell. If that is the case then it will indeed be the enthusiasts that force the value of the first gen up as the supply gets reduced. Not saying they are all of a sudden going to shoot up in value but it could make the $1K to $2K difference that Kitten was talking about.
soundman98 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 02:25 AM   #291
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post

First off, no country and culture is immune to various modes of media influencing opinion and sales of a certain car. From McQueen's Mustang, to Smokey's Trans Am, to Doc's DMC time machine, to Magnum PI's Ferrari, to the Miami Vice Testarossa, to K.I.T.T., to the F&F Supra, and Takumi's AE86, putting car's in the spotlight will always increase the demand for that car, and consequently, peoples perception of them.

If I'm not mistaken, the AE86 was a popular chassis to race with as well there. I've taken in -ALOT- of information regarding the platform from Aussie enthusiast boards.

Another cool, and lucky, bit for you guys down there is you got a 3rd gen Celica with a less than stellar 2S motor....all that meant, was that when 3S-GE's became easy to get ahold of, well, super easy swap is super easy.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldSkoolToys For This Useful Post:
KR-S (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #292
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
First off, no country and culture is immune to various modes of media influencing opinion and sales of a certain car. From McQueen's Mustang, to Smokey's Trans Am, to Doc's DMC time machine, to Magnum PI's Ferrari, to the Miami Vice Testarossa, to K.I.T.T., to the F&F Supra, and Takumi's AE86, putting car's in the spotlight will always increase the demand for that car, and consequently, peoples perception of them.

If I'm not mistaken, the AE86 was a popular chassis to race with as well there. I've taken in -ALOT- of information regarding the platform from Aussie enthusiast boards.

Another cool, and lucky, bit for you guys down there is you got a 3rd gen Celica with a less than stellar 2S motor....all that meant, was that when 3S-GE's became easy to get ahold of, well, super easy swap is super easy.
Yes. If it hits mainstream. The AE86 never hit the mainstream press or pop culture in the 80s. Your whole perspective is skewed because you search out any tidbit of info on the subject.
Even the modern inclusion of the AE86 in a rather obscure and very narrow demographic does not bring it to mainstream. It is still a very small and specific group that has ever heard of it.
Dadhawk (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #293
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
LOL at this AE68 argument. It's obscure as hell, nevermind the car was never sold as (by its actual name) the AE86. I've been reading automotive magazines cover to cover since 1990, am friends with dozens of car people across the entire spectrum of enthusiasts, and maybe a handful even know what an 80s AE86 is. I myself didn't have a clue until the mid 2000s (and even then, didn't care because of the countless better JDM options).

Meanwhile I'd bet $100 that over 50% of the women I know are familiar with what a Celica is.
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #294
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Bottom line: Toyota made an awesome RWD car, stop arguing what name it should be.
Quote: