follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #99
Bruce125

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMCS03 View Post
Thanks... but I ended up destroying mine... its ok... I found that ebay also sells the original key shells... so i can buy one of those and move the chip back if i ever wanted.

plus if i sold the car... its not like the flip key wont work. so I got over wanting to revert back...
That's true, I've seen those original keys on ebay pretty cheap so that is always an option. I like this new flip fob so much I'm thinking about getting another so my keys match!
Bruce125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #100
EBMCS03

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce125 View Post
That's true, I've seen those original keys on ebay pretty cheap so that is always an option. I like this new flip fob so much I'm thinking about getting another so my keys match!
Yup! Exactly! but its ok... i'm leaving the second key alone that way when i need to sell I will use the "original key" for the buyer and the flip key as spare... but right now Im using the flip key as main key. hehe
EBMCS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:03 AM   #101
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
maybe cut it out?

its almost like the transponder "embedded"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFRS View Post
this fob requires everything out of the donor right? is there any difference in the way of putting it together as compared to the OP's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
i has no video making skills but i could try

in order to make a video, i would have to make another one from scratch. if someone local wants a flip key and has all the parts, i would do it for them and we could video tape it.

if you have any questions about the process, feel free to pm me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMCS03 View Post
I want to know this too... any able to get the transponder out with out destroying the original key? Is there a plastic casing on top of the transponder chip or is that the actual chip that you see when you're looking inside the key?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mottor View Post
I tried for half an hour to cut it out using an xacto knife and had no luck. Looks like you're better off pulling the one out of the valet key.
What @mottor said. Take the transponder out of the Valet, leave the transponder in the old shell with buttons, and it can then be a valet key. Kinda ghetto, but it has a chip and a key that works... so... In fact, you could probably find the buttons somewhere, but I'm sure they need some sort of programming? My understanding is the buttons are universal, the transponder is specific.

Also, go to that Indian website, and look at their video. They show pretty simply how to do it, and how to remove the transponder from the valet key, which, I might add, looks far simpler than tearing up the old key.

In fact, here-
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KlmjV7oRvlA"]Toyota Flip Key - www.duplicatekeys.in - YouTube[/ame]

Think this is getting put on the to do list... I'll probably try and do two keys if the first turns out ok, and I'm happy with the quality after a few months and see it as a long term possibility. Very cool stuff. At first I hated all the little "mods" but they're what make the car yours. It's the details, the effort people put in, (thanks OP!) People like @doggy who are just perfectionists that make this stuff fun. Small things this forum has made must haves for me. Shark fin, door sills, different materials for some random interior bits, a fill plate for the center console space, Toyota badges, LED signals/running lights, LED interior lighting, dynamat, bla bla bla the list doesn't end... It's insane how quickly it gets expensive, but I love it. I love showing people the unique, (well, kind of, usually bought from a large source, but compared to the average 86,) fun things about my cars. Can't wait for @doggy s light up center console plate. XD
Ok no more OT.

THANKS OP!

EDIT: Ok, so I am an idiot. Answered my own question. Obviously the button part is universal if the transponder from a valet key works. SO. Instead of destroying your good keyfobd keys, my suggestion. A bit more pricey but- buy the button section from another key, hell, used even, and use the transponder from your valet key. This way you have 2 originals, and a flip key. I think I would probably destroy one original and have 2 valet keys, but oh well. I'm strange. Here's what I mean for buying. I'm sure theres a better source somewhere, but here's an example nonetheless
http://www.bestbuyremotes.net/Produc...de=toyota-1071
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zohare For This Useful Post:
draggin_az (03-19-2013), MmmDieselFumes (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #102
MmmDieselFumes

Drives: .
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zohare View Post
EDIT: Ok, so I am an idiot. Answered my own question. Obviously the button part is universal if the transponder from a valet key works. SO. Instead of destroying your good keyfobd keys, my suggestion. A bit more pricey but- buy the button section from another key, hell, used even, and use the transponder from your valet key. This way you have 2 originals, and a flip key. I think I would probably destroy one original and have 2 valet keys, but oh well. I'm strange. Here's what I mean for buying. I'm sure theres a better source somewhere, but here's an example nonetheless
http://www.bestbuyremotes.net/Produc...de=toyota-1071
Cheaper option: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-REMOT...5b435d&vxp=mtr
MmmDieselFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #103
Bruce125

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmDieselFumes View Post
So has anyone tried programming one of those ebay original style keys using that Ehow method from earlier in the thread? I know the dealer has to program the transponder but I'm talking about the transmitter/buttons for doors/trunk.
Bruce125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #104
Lemar58

Drives: Scion FR-S
Looks so good. Not even gonna try to do that lol
Lemar58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #105
Steve86

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Random question: Did anyone get theirs without a logo/sticker on the back? If so, what did you do?

I only ask because I just ordered one, and the details are iffy on whether there is a toyota logo on the back or not.
Steve86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #106
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You should get a small badge that will just press into the back of the housing. If you don't get one, then I would be contacting the seller and asking where your badge is. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve86 View Post
Random question: Did anyone get theirs without a logo/sticker on the back? If so, what did you do?

I only ask because I just ordered one, and the details are iffy on whether there is a toyota logo on the back or not.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #107
luuser75

Drives: M/T Raven FR-S
anybody try that indian site yet?
luuser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #108
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just did mine. Went to Lowes and they wouldn't cut it afraid to mess it up. So I went to locksmith they charged me $2. Got the chip out of the valet key
YamahaR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #109
gregdobs

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
Just did mine. Went to Lowes and they wouldn't cut it afraid to mess it up. So I went to locksmith they charged me $2. Got the chip out of the valet key
Thinking about doing this as well. Which fob did you buy? Good quality? Can you post a link to the site you bought it from (or ebay auction page)?

Thanks!
gregdobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #110
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdobs View Post
Thinking about doing this as well. Which fob did you buy? Good quality? Can you post a link to the site you bought it from (or ebay auction page)?

Thanks!
I bought this one on the 3rd page or so:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folding-Remo.../170896777082?

It DOES come with the toyota emblem on the back, just need to put it on there.

Quality Wise, I would say it could be better. It's cheap, can't really complain since it's only $14 + $2 to cut the key.

The spring for this isn't as strong so it doesn't flip fast like a switch blade, and when the key is "out" you can move it up and down a few mm's but it seems stable enough.

Really cleans it up though, I'm tired of the typical Scion/Toyota keys. It's about the size of a lighter and some of my friends thought that was what it was.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #111
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Oh, and the hardest part for me was to get the chip out of the valet key. I used a dremel to carefully cut around () and straight down | then started pulling the plastic away.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #112
jazztennor

Drives: Scion FR-s
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
has anyone programmed the keys with the ehow method????? or do you still have to remove the chip?