follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #15
lantsalot
Derp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

HA! I've loved being up there the times that I've visited. I'm actually really excited!
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantsalot View Post
HA! I've loved being up there the times that I've visited. I'm actually really excited!
Look at the crowd you will be hanging with!

lantsalot (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
@kch You mentioned that you live in Wedgwood, google maps says the commute down to south lake union is 12-35 minutes at 730am--is that anywhere near accurate from your experience?
Yes, that's about right. For me, it takes me anywhere from 20-40 minutes (barring major issues) from Matthews Beach all the way to downtown. You'd be taking the Mercer exit, which always backs up a bit, but shouldn't be terrible at 730am. There will usually be traffic over the ship canal bridge, but it's doable.

You should also scope out public transit options. Depending on where you live, you could have a really quick bus ride to SLU.

Edit: you asked about Magnolia to SLU--that's one of the situations where you really see how hard it is to go east-west in this city. It's a nice area, though. But your main north-south route there (like to the airport) is going to be Aurora and the new toll tunnel, so take that into account.

Edit2: One thing to note is that people generally stick to their own neighborhoods. If someone wants me to come hang out in Fremont, I'm inclined to say screw it because I don't want to either find parking or take a $30 uber each way. So if lots of your peers are planning to live in the SLU area, I would consider doing so as well. It'll be more expensive, less car-friendly, etc. etc., but you'll have less FOMO.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
lantsalot (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #18
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Okay, time to point out some of the positives. For context, I lived in Houston/Austin my whole life but moved up here about 1.5 years ago.

1) There are multiple surprisingly-decent ski areas within a 1.5 hour drive from here. Stevens Pass and Snoqualmie are both solid.

2) The ramen and sushi are really good.

3) Spring/summer can be glorious. Get used to opening windows, because that's generally all you'll need to keep things cool indoors. (I would still suggest getting an AC unit, though--it can get into the 80s in late summer, which sucks without AC).

4) Re the "seattle freeze" - People don't go out of their way to be friendly, but most people are friendly if you force an interaction. People aren't nearly as douchey here as they are in, say, Denver.

5) There are decent racetracks within striking distance. Pacific Raceways in Kent is under an hour. Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton is under two. Oregon Raceway Park is about 4 hours.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
lantsalot (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #19
DrifterD

Drives: 15' Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

@kch You mentioned that you live in Wedgwood, google maps says the commute down to south lake union is 12-35 minutes at 730am--is that anywhere near accurate from your experience?

Does anyone have experience commuting from somewhere like Fremont or Magnolia into the South Lake Union / Capitol Hill area?

Thank you again everyone!
I can only speak from experience but depending on the time of day, getting to SLU from Fremont can be hell because of Westlake anytime after 4PM or so. If you work relatively early, the commute isnt too bad. It takes me less than 30 minutes to get from lynnwood/bothell/mill creek area to Fremont at 530AM (Might be a bit early for most lol). If you are taking the bus, theres a lot of park and rides that you can park your car at.

I am still riding on the stock primacies year around besides snow, but I have the luxury of working from home if it snows.

Like some say, the mercer exit sucks but no avoiding that since amazon.

I would also suggest joining the 86 Nights facebook group if you haven't already! Hopefully you'll enjoy living here regardless!
DrifterD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrifterD For This Useful Post:
lantsalot (04-04-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 01:17 AM   #20
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Seattle is my least favorite US city I've been to, worse than LA.

Traffic is horrible because the infrastructure is so far behind the volume. Drivers are total fucking assholes and morons, the worst I've seen in my life. You will only get home by being a bigger asshole.

Get a 6 month rental, so it won't matter too much where you live. Then figure out the place and move to where appeals to you. For me, Woodinville is too damned close to Seattle. I liked Mukilteo.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
lantsalot (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 01:22 AM   #21
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,164 Times in 3,461 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Driving in Seattle traffic? There really aren't any hills within Seattle (however, since you're coming from Arizona, you may consider some of the mounds, "hills" - . Yes, traffic is stop and go much of the day in the downtown area. It gets sparser the further you get away from downtown - except at rush hour. Rush hour is from 5 AM to 11AM and from 2PM to 10pm.-

As far as tires, I have found that good all-season tires work well in this area. A set of chains are sometimes required going over the mountains to Eastern Washington. I have splash/mud guards on my FR-S, I feel they help keep it cleaner.

Where to live? If you're renting and concerned about your car, you may look for a place that has covered/secured parking. It seems that in this area, most car break ins are because the people left something in their car. That would include my granddaughter's small makeup kits, while parked at a movie theater -

If you are buying a house, a lot of where you live would depend on where you can afford to live. It's quite simple to figure out - the further you get away from Seattle, the less homes cost.

As far as crime, hell crime is everywhere. Just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

Get ready for some GREAT FR-S driving roads -

humfrz

Very insightful Humfrz, I had imagined that you lived out in the sticks with your farm animals and only come across "people" if they got horribly lost and needed some teaching!!...
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 02:56 AM   #22
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Very insightful Humfrz, I had imagined that you lived out in the sticks with your farm animals and only come across "people" if they got horribly lost and needed some teaching!!...
What EVER gave you that idea -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
JD001 (04-05-2019), lantsalot (04-05-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 02:26 AM   #23
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Come for the scenery, stay for the meth!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw[/ame]

Here's the skinny on Seattle - they stopped policing homeless and drugs ENTIRELY a few years ago. Property crime is sky high. Seattle is part of King County and known for never meeting a tax they didn't vote for. If you MUST reside in King County, do your best to plant your flag on the East side (bellevue, issaquah, kirkland, renton etc).

If possible live in Snohomish County which is North of King or my preference, Pierce county which is South of King. Both of these counties still believe in the rule of law (for now) so the homeless/drug/property crime isn't nearly as epic as it is in Seattle.

WA is a "Shall issue" state as well - I recommend you get your permit.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #24
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
KOMO is owned by the Sinclair Group of stations.
Made ALL of their on screen presenters stand front and center on air to swear loyalty to the Sinclair Group.

One really should view their presentations as "entertainment" along with FOX.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (04-06-2019), kch (04-08-2019), lantsalot (04-08-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #25
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Wow. Lots of Seattle hate in here!

OP, I love living here. Like most cities, finding the right neighborhood and the right people can make or break your experience.

It is a booming city. We are in the midst of serious growing pains. That doesn't make it a terrible place to live.
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
kch (04-08-2019), lantsalot (04-08-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 07:04 PM   #26
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
KOMO is owned by the Sinclair Group of stations.
Made ALL of their on screen presenters stand front and center on air to swear loyalty to the Sinclair Group.

One really should view their presentations as "entertainment" along with FOX.
Yeah, that was a weird video. I'm not sure if it had a specific political angle other than "be angry".
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
lantsalot (04-08-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #27
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Fear and Loathing

The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-07-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #28
lantsalot
Derp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
Wow. Lots of Seattle hate in here!

OP, I love living here. Like most cities, finding the right neighborhood and the right people can make or break your experience.

It is a booming city. We are in the midst of serious growing pains. That doesn't make it a terrible place to live.
What neighborhoods do you recommend? I'm most likely going to be in queen anne / lower queen anne for the first 6 months or so, but I will be looking at where to buy a home after that. My ideal location is east (bothell, kirkland, etc) but I'll be commuting to South Lake Union until Amazon moves their offices into Bellevue and I've heard that the commute will be balls...
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote