follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #15
Prmspen
Student Driver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
Can anyone out there give feedback on pros and cons of full spring removal versus replacement with the MTec spring?
Prmspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #16
jcw99

Drives: swp mt '14 brz premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmspen View Post
Can anyone out there give feedback on pros and cons of full spring removal versus replacement with the MTec spring?
kbye started a thread on 4-17-15. Go to Search and type in mtec clutch spring and scroll down until you see it. I don't know how to link too well. it has what you're looking for. good luck!
jcw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #17
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's so much easier to find the catch point without "bouncing" a shift.

Like someone said above, I felt like a n00b driving this car. and this was after 4 years in a BMW E90, which has the notorious CDV (clutch delay valve) that also makes you feel like you don't know how to drive stick properly.

I don't understand the need for OEM's to put this crap in. If you're buying a stick shift and you don't know how to drive it properly, DON'T BUY ONE!! No need to water the cars down for those of us who do, "just in case".
Old 03-28-2016, 11:24 PM   #18
Prmspen
Student Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw99 View Post
kbye started a thread on 4-17-15. Go to Search and type in mtec clutch spring and scroll down until you see it. I don't know how to link too well. it has what you're looking for. good luck!
Thanks! I found the thread, and I think I'm going to go for the MTec spring. I really struggled when I first drove the car, having come from other manuals with heavier clutches, but I've got used to it fairly quickly. Would still like more resistance/feel though, so I'll give MTec a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prmspen For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #19
jcw99

Drives: swp mt '14 brz premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmspen View Post
Thanks! I found the thread, and I think I'm going to go for the MTec spring. I really struggled when I first drove the car, having come from other manuals with heavier clutches, but I've got used to it fairly quickly. Would still like more resistance/feel though, so I'll give MTec a try.
I know exactly how you feel about that clutch and I have the Mtec spring but have not installed it yet. I did however change over to the 3/4" diameter slave cylinder recommended by Ultramaroon in his long thread and it is a different car now. BTW, I still have the OEM spring in place and have not tried driving without it as I want the pedal to come all the way back up.

Last edited by jcw99; 03-29-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: changed sentence
jcw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #20
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Popped the spring out over the weekend. I don't know why I waited so long to take it out. Pedal movement isn't as easy as it used to be, "like a real clutch should be" and engagement is much more predictable, highly recommended and fully reversible 👍 thanks OP!
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #21
akiranakayama

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (CBS)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw99 View Post
I know exactly how you feel about that clutch and I have the Mtec spring but have not installed it yet. I did however change over to the 3/4" diameter slave cylinder recommended by Ultramaroon in his long thread and it is a different car now. BTW, I still have the OEM spring in place and have not tried driving without it as I want the pedal to come all the way back up.
Have yet to do the spring removal but now I'm wondering just which one is the mod that nets a better feeling clutch...? Difficult to answer, I bet.
2007 Suzuki SV650 (Track bike.)
akiranakayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #22
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
There is a second part to this mod that really make the stock clutch feel perfect for virtually everyone: clutch pedal height adjustment.

I have "clutch modded" +30 cars so far, and have gotten nothing but rave reviews. Remove the helper spring, then lower the pedal to be about even with the brake pedal. The goal here is to get rid of most of the extra travel the pedal has near the floor. This lets you use the clutch while keeping your heel on the floor and is an absolute MUST for all MT owners. The guide for doing this can be found here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8040

I've been driving on this setup for 30k miles and have had no issues with clutch chatter, unusual signs of wear, or any other problems. I've owned/driven a lot of manual cars over the years, and since doing this mod, this is one of the best clutches I've ever had the pleasure of using. Reducing the height also will extend the life of your clutch pretty significantly.

It's free and it's reversible. Stop reading this, go out to your garage, and do it right now. 15 minutes at most. You'll be glad you did

EDIT: For those curious about this spring, it has been in all WRX/STI clutch pedals since mid-2000s. Subaru just kept the same design for the BRZ. Problem is, the WRX/STI have VERY heavy clutches, so helper springs are pretty much a must. The BRZ's clutch is comparatively very light, and so the helper spring is really unnecessary. Seriously, why are you still reading this? Go fix your clutch!
Old 03-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #23
luckbox

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can someone with RHD model and removed the clutch spring please provide some guidance on how to do it?
luckbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:48 AM   #24
TheGut

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86 Hi A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckbox View Post
Can someone with RHD model and removed the clutch spring please provide some guidance on how to do it?
Wont it be the same, just other way around....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
TheGut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #25
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckbox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGut View Post
Wont it be the same, just other way around....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
I think it was covered in the other thread. If memory serves, this is very hard to do on RHD models since there is a large metal plate blocking access to the spring in that configuration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:26 AM   #26
Prmspen
Student Driver

This morning I drove my 2004 Mini Cooper S for the first time since picking up the BRZ a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't believe how heavy the clutch felt in comparison! And when it was my daily driver, I was totally used to it. Just goes to show how easily we adjust between different clutches.

I think somewhere between the two would be ideal, so the MTec spring is likely the way to go for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prmspen For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #27
Speck

Drives: '13 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
There is a second part to this mod that really make the stock clutch feel perfect for virtually everyone: clutch pedal height adjustment.

I have "clutch modded" +30 cars so far, and have gotten nothing but rave reviews. Remove the helper spring, then lower the pedal to be about even with the brake pedal. The goal here is to get rid of most of the extra travel the pedal has near the floor. This lets you use the clutch while keeping your heel on the floor and is an absolute MUST for all MT owners. The guide for doing this can be found here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8040

I've been driving on this setup for 30k miles and have had no issues with clutch chatter, unusual signs of wear, or any other problems. I've owned/driven a lot of manual cars over the years, and since doing this mod, this is one of the best clutches I've ever had the pleasure of using. Reducing the height also will extend the life of your clutch pretty significantly.

It's free and it's reversible. Stop reading this, go out to your garage, and do it right now. 15 minutes at most. You'll be glad you did

EDIT: For those curious about this spring, it has been in all WRX/STI clutch pedals since mid-2000s. Subaru just kept the same design for the BRZ. Problem is, the WRX/STI have VERY heavy clutches, so helper springs are pretty much a must. The BRZ's clutch is comparatively very light, and so the helper spring is really unnecessary. Seriously, why are you still reading this? Go fix your clutch!
I've been looking for this! Thank you sir.
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #28
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I removed the spring today and I can't tell you what a difference it made. I've been driving a manual for 20 years and when I got my BRZ I had a hard time engaging the clutch at the right time. I was either slipping it or letting in too hard. With the spring removed I can feel exactly where the clutch engages. It makes it easier to pull out from a stop and to shift smoothly.

I can't comment on other springs but to say that it would probably make the clutch press easier while giving less feel. I would recommend just removing your factory spring first and then if the clutch is too stiff, adding an aftermarket spring. The more spring tension you use, the less clutch feel you are going to have. I prefer it with no spring at all.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
WOJO (09-27-2016)