follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List
Diode Dynamics

Old 02-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #43
xFury

Drives: '16 Scion FR-S - Oceanic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
If you're still having problems, I would return it and get the Morimoto from TheRetroFitSource.

Never had any issues with them and CS seems on point. Quality product. Spend the extra and its way better IMO and 5500k HID is awesome. Been getting a lot of compliments on it on the FRS with stock housing and projector.

But I plan on getting the actual retroquik projector later on to get the most of the HID.
xFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #44
frznBRZ

Drives: 2015 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Update: So I received and installed my D4S Philips 42402 WX Ultinon bulb about 2.5 weeks ago from The Retrofit Source (link below):

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...7#.VvvtjnosA41

The quality of these bulbs looked great, the color is pure white, and they match my LED fog lights and boomerangs perfectly. So far I have not experienced any issues with the bulbs turning off. I will post another update only if I start to experience any issues with these bulbs. But, for now I am satisfied
frznBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #45
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having the same exact problem with my Diode Dynamic 5k HID bulbs on my BRZ. My drivers side occasionally goes out. I first noticed it happening about 4 months after purchasing them, in late 2017. I have replaced ALL lights inside and out in the car with their products, including the brightest 5k fog lights they offer, which is why I probably didn't notice the headlight being out..

My drivers headlight can turn on, but will go off after about 10 minutes or so. Might switch to stock or look into another brand.

The kicker is, I put MAYBE 3-4k miles on my car a year, it's strictly a track/weekend/nice weather car. There are times where I may not drive it for a month, save for a few quick trips to keep it from sitting for too long.

I also have their license plate LEDs, but they failed about a year ago and I put stock back in.

I know DD has great customer service, and I could get these all replaced, but I am incredibly busy with work and haven't had the time to start that process. I still love their products and will be upgrading all the lights in my 4Runner soon with DD stuff.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents on the issue!

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #46
UNCC_BRZ

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
I'm having a similar issue, my drivers side light doesnt turn on sometimes, flipping the switch a couple times gets it to ignite, I switched the bulbs and it stayed on the driver side. It only started doing this after I installed the DD 6k bulbs.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #47
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I have been using DAMA D4S bulbs since one year without any problems. They are ~5000K and provide better visibility than the 4300K stock HIDs I had.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #48
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Just ordered these from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-X-tre.../dp/B074MQHNVY

Cheapest I could find that were authentic..

we'll see how this goes!

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:05 PM   #49
MGPAX
Still 17!

Drives: 2014 Silver BRZ Limited
I ended up ordering the expensive Osram CBI bulbs because no other bulbs would stay working for long. Even had one that exploded inside my headlight!! I've had the Osrams in for 3 years with no issues.
JeremyR (03-23-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 05:18 AM   #50
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The stock BRZ D4S bulbs are Osrams. I have a set of Nightbreaker Unlimited in mine right now and I have DD's HID fog light kit(Chinese components through and through).
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #51
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Buying cheap electronics is the worst idea ever. And as far as quality, Morimoto is very good and probably the closest to OEM quality. I currently wouldn't buy anything else at the present time. A good set of HIDs will cost you around $150. If you are buying HIDs for much less than that you are either getting lucky and getting a hookup or you are buying crap Chinese/ebay parts that will be defective in 2 years. Had the Morimoto HIDs for years in my FRS; the bulbs never even flickered once...
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #52
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhayes1 View Post
Buying cheap electronics is the worst idea ever. And as far as quality, Morimoto is very good and probably the closest to OEM quality. I currently wouldn't buy anything else at the present time. A good set of HIDs will cost you around $150. If you are buying HIDs for much less than that you are either getting lucky and getting a hookup or you are buying crap Chinese/ebay parts that will be defective in 2 years. Had the Morimoto HIDs for years in my FRS; the bulbs never even flickered once...

I have a brand new Morimoto D2H kit and the driver's side light sometimes doesn't turn on. Pretty popular problem. I don't know how common it is relative to the amount of kits they sell, but the complaints are well documented over the internet. I'll diagnose the malfunction soon when I have time, and I am sure TRS will get me a replacement part if it comes to that.