follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #197
eric6

Drives: 93 MR2 Turbo; 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
@plucas @eric6 what is the main difference between the race version and the street version other than the fins/vanes? is the front side sticking out further towards the front?

Also, can I simply add the fins/vanes to my splitter to benefit from better flow?

Thanks in advance
The race version is an add on kit to the street splitter. The differences between the race version are the fins/vanes and the supporting splitter tie kit. This allows anyone to upgrade at any point down the line.

The newest version of the splitter will have hole marks scribed for the end user to use as a template to drill the holes for adding the fins/vanes. For the initial 10 people that will want the upgrade, we will have to get more creative but we will figure it out for you guys .

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to eric6 For This Useful Post:
Kwaziekeller (07-07-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #198
eric6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket.BRZ View Post
Do you have any intentions on testing the APR splitter in comparison to yours?
No intentions, we are slammed with projects at this time. We know what the FT86 Speed Factory splitter is capable of.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #199
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric6 View Post
Glamcem, I hope that the splitter tie is attached to metal. Otherwise, those ties aren't doing much since the bumper is just plastic. Our kit, which will add support directly to the crash beam, will be out in approximately a month. If you decide to add supports yourself, you need to attach it to metal on the car to make it be of much benefit.
yes, I figured since the rivet nuts underneath the splitter should provide enough support and since the tie rods have a different angle we were not able to attach it to the crash beam..also I would like to be able to remove the bumper in case I need to reach my intercooler piping etc.. basically the main reason I've added them on is just the additional support and height adjustment

Quote:
The race version is an add on kit to the street splitter. The differences between the race version are the fins/vanes and the supporting splitter tie kit. This allows anyone to upgrade at any point down the line.

The newest version of the splitter will have hole marks scribed for the end user to use as a template to drill the holes for adding the fins/vanes. For the initial 10 people that will want the upgrade, we will have to get more creative but we will figure it out for you guys .

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
maybe I can get the upgrade kit for the extra support and for better flow.. I wonder if you can simply provide a template paper with the kit so I can simply put the template to drill holes for the fins/vanes..

Also can I attach the support rods with braces without removing the bumper?
The Following User Says Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
eric6 (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #200
eric6

Quote:
yes, I figured since the rivet nuts underneath the splitter should provide enough support and since the tie rods have a different angle we were not able to attach it to the crash beam..also I would like to be able to remove the bumper in case I need to reach my intercooler piping etc.. basically the main reason I've added them on is just the additional support and height adjustment

maybe I can get the upgrade kit for the extra support and for better flow.. I wonder if you can simply provide a template paper with the kit so I can simply put the template to drill holes for the fins/vanes..

Also can I attach the support rods with braces without removing the bumper?
Understood, just wanted to let you know it really needs metal support.

That is the plan, basically a paper template that will be full scale with the holes marked out.

You will need to remove the bumper to drill the holes in the crash beam. But once the brackets are on, you should be able to remove the bumper just by removing the tie and sliding the bumper over the brackets.
glamcem (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #201
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
do you have a link of the wind tunnel testing? It's really hard to believe that small piece is actually functional
I've seen properly placed helicopter tape, and decals make a difference
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
eric6 (07-07-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #202
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@eric6, would there be any benefit to a vertical vane on the outside edge of the splitter? I've seen this on a number of race cars; I assume it creates vortices and helps direct airflow down the side of the car.

I've seen both designs elsewhere and mocked them up in sketchup for pics:

I assume the cutout at the bottom assists with vortex generation, but I'm just guessing.
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
eric6 (07-07-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #203
eric6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
I've seen properly placed helicopter tape, and decals make a difference
Definitely! Being from Mooresville I assume you're talking about NASCAR. The little differences can make a huge difference at high rates of speed.

A gurney flap should work. I know on my Evo it produced something like 25 lbs of downforce at 70 MPH.
glamcem (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #204
eric6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
@eric6, would there be any benefit to a vertical vane on the outside edge of the splitter? I've seen this on a number of race cars; I assume it creates vortices and helps direct airflow down the side of the car.

I've seen both designs elsewhere and mocked them up in sketchup for pics:

I assume the cutout at the bottom assists with vortex generation, but I'm just guessing.
Their would definitely be a benefit. You are correct in that it creates vertices and helps direct airflow.

The cutouts at the bottom increase air speed which reduces pressure creating downforce. They do produce vertices but I'm not sure if it is very beneficial in the area they are creating vertices. That would be a Paul question. I know the basics but Paul is the true aero genius.
gramicci101 (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #205
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
where's the group buy price?
Old 07-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #206
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Definitely! Being from Mooresville I assume you're talking about NASCAR. The little differences can make a huge difference at high rates of speed.
NASCAR, IMSA...I've been around In an aero seminar, the lecturer told us about the placement of the old Wynns decals on a drag car roof, to reattach air, which I thought was slick.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #207
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Got a link? i'd love to learn more about that, it sounds interesting.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:33 AM   #208
eric6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
where's the group buy price?
That's a question for FT86SpeedFactory .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
NASCAR, IMSA...I've been around In an aero seminar, the lecturer told us about the placement of the old Wynns decals on a drag car roof, to reattach air, which I thought was slick.
Working in a large NASCAR supplying company, I've heard some crazy stories about what they'll do for a small aero advantage. Really neat but also millions on millions of dollars spent for that tenth of a second haha.
Gunman (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 AM   #209
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
I really want this, but I also really want many other things.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #210
Kwaziekeller

Drives: '13 Argento MT FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I wouldn't bother testing some else's product, unless someone is willing to pay for the CFD data (something a manufacter would do if they wanted to prove the efficency of their product, as you guys have done). I'm sure the APR functions to some degree, not sure how effective it is, but I doubt it will out-perform the FT86SF/Hancha Group splitter. I'm interested in the Driveway Labs Type 1 diffuser and FT86SF/Hancha splitter CFD results, but that is a bit of a gray area, concerning testing someone else's product, since you guys are working together on another project too

I think the template/overlay will be a very good solution for the early adopters. I'd imagine most people should be able to handle the installation. Nothing overly difficult from what I'm seeing.

Aero is definitely an interesting topic. Just look at how crazy the F1 cars/LeMans Prototypes were getting with little winglets etc a few years ago. Millions of dollars spent on design and testing for fractions of a second in lap time, that is copied by competitiors as soon as they sense a performance advantage.
@Reaper, Do it... you wont be disappointed.

Last edited by Kwaziekeller; 07-07-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Closed Thread