follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
Renault Discordia
Giant Robots and Stuff

Drives: Oceanic 2019 86 GT (6AT)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Aftermarket radio questions

Hey everyone, just installed a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX in my twin, had a question about retaining some stock functionality, as well as the best way to route an antenna for satellite radio functionality.

For the stock functionality, I was able to successfully retain the stock USB and AUX jacks with some adapters that I got from Crutchfield. My question is...am I able to use something like the Maestro Acc-SAT-TO2 to retain my sharkfin GPS antenna and connect it directly to the back of my Pioneer unit, or am I stuck having to wire up the one that came with the radio? Would be nice to not have to run a new antenna for something that's already installed. If not, are there any recommendations for placement of the Pioneer GPS antenna? May just be a minor quip, the radio keeps throwing a "No GPS found" when I start the car, would be nice to make it stop.

Additionally, if I were to run a Sirius antenna (namely the SXV300V1), what would be the easiest/cleanest way to run it/best placement?
Renault Discordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renault Discordia View Post
Would be nice to not have to run a new antenna for something that's already installed. If not, are there any recommendations for placement of the Pioneer GPS antenna? May just be a minor quip, the radio keeps throwing a "No GPS found" when I start the car, would be nice to make it stop.

Additionally, if I were to run a Sirius antenna (namely the SXV300V1), what would be the easiest/cleanest way to run it/best placement?
On the GPS antenna, the stock one, at least in the early models, is mounted on the bottom side of the dash behind the radio. I mounted mine there with no issues. A GPS antenna is a GPS antenna, you should be able to use the old one, assuming you can adapt the wiring.

For the Sirius antenna, in the two cars I've installed one in (not the FRS), I've just run them up to either the driver or passenger's side front corner of the windshield down on top of the dash. It picks up satellites there fine, and if the dash is black just disappears. Of course, YMMV depending on where you commonly drive in relationship to the satellite location in your sky.

I've also done the same with the GPS antenna, since its about the same size (1 inch square). In MomHawk's Mustang the Cirius antenna is on the driver side, and the GPS is on the passenger.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
Renault Discordia
Giant Robots and Stuff

Drives: Oceanic 2019 86 GT (6AT)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
On the GPS antenna, the stock one, at least in the early models, is mounted on the bottom side of the dash behind the radio. I mounted mine there with no issues. A GPS antenna is a GPS antenna, you should be able to use the old one, assuming you can adapt the wiring.

For the Sirius antenna, in the two cars I've installed one in (not the FRS), I've just run them up to either the driver or passenger's side front corner of the windshield down on top of the dash. It picks up satellites there fine, and if the dash is black just disappears. Of course, YMMV depending on where you commonly drive in relationship to the satellite location in your sky.

I've also done the same with the GPS antenna, since its about the same size (1 inch square). In MomHawk's Mustang the Cirius antenna is on the driver side, and the GPS is on the passenger.
I...actually did not notice this when I was digging in there while installing the radio, thank you for pointing this out. I had assumed that both FM/nav were in the sharkfin, it's good to know that it's easily accessible and I'm just not observant enough. Gonna have to get this apart when I get home tonight. Appreciate the input, especially on the Sirius suggestion!
Renault Discordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renault Discordia View Post
...especially on the Sirius suggestion!
Just make sure the Sirius one is on the top of the dash, wasn't sure I was clear enough on that one.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
This is the EU install manual for OEM navigation system, included the GPS antenna position. (EU cars don't have a GPS antenna in the shark fin).

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimupload..._003_925_0.pdf
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:51 AM   #6
DaveB.inVa

Drives: 2016 BRZ Premium
I installed a Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS in mine to specifically get rid of the touch screen. Without having steering wheel controls I found the factory radio more distracting than I'd like and went for a more basic radio with buttons and knobs. This one is equipped with HD radio and SiriusXM. I then bought a rearview mirror with a camera input and connected the camera there.

I used the factory sharkfin antenna for my XM connection. When you unplug the XM antenna from the factory radio note that it is a plastic connector surrounding a coax cable. The coax cable is RG174.

You can break off the plastic portion and plug it into the SXV300 (the SXV300 then plugs into whatever radio you use). Note that you'll need to secure the coax somehow as the cable isn't captive. I have hot glue on mine and it's worked fine since 2016. I did the same thing on my 2007 Ram and have no issues. My 2015 Tacoma had a little different type of connector that wouldn't plug into the SXV300 at all so I bought an RG174 pigtail with a captive female end and spliced it into the factory cable. I don't recommend this as the RG174 is so small it's difficult to work with.

For what it's worth there's now an adapter that makes it plug and play.

https://www.amazon.com/Satellite-Rad.../dp/B07M8J574J
DaveB.inVa is offline   Reply With Quote