follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
BRZyJ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 2015 Q50S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Resonator advice

I need to quiet things down a bit so I'm thinking I'm going to have a resonator welded into the midpipe. Current setup is 1320 UEL headers/overpipe, WORKS axleback muffler, and everything else stock. The 1320 pieces will be swapped out for Gruppe-S soon...don't know what, if any, effect that will have on the sound/volume, I'm assuming not a whole lot. Not interested in putting the stock axleback back on, so I've been scouring the forums for resonator related posts.

Seems like the non-uniform circumference and bends of the midpipe make it kind of a pain in the ass to work with, but from what I've gathered the Vibrant 1792 bottle resonator is pretty good and will fit. The Vibrant 1141 2.5" Ultra Quiet Resonator looks to be more effective (?) but will not fit the stock midpipe without a lot of chopping things up...not sure if it's worth it.

Looking for feedback from anyone who has done this this...will probably wind up having Minute Muffler in Dublin do it, seems like the go-to place around here for exhaust stuff.
BRZyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:13 AM   #2
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZyJ View Post
I need to quiet things down a bit so I'm thinking I'm going to have a resonator welded into the midpipe. Current setup is 1320 UEL headers/overpipe, WORKS axleback muffler, and everything else stock. The 1320 pieces will be swapped out for Gruppe-S soon...don't know what, if any, effect that will have on the sound/volume, I'm assuming not a whole lot. Not interested in putting the stock axleback back on, so I've been scouring the forums for resonator related posts.

Seems like the non-uniform circumference and bends of the midpipe make it kind of a pain in the ass to work with, but from what I've gathered the Vibrant 1792 bottle resonator is pretty good and will fit. The Vibrant 1141 2.5" Ultra Quiet Resonator looks to be more effective (?) but will not fit the stock midpipe without a lot of chopping things up...not sure if it's worth it.

Looking for feedback from anyone who has done this this...will probably wind up having Minute Muffler in Dublin do it, seems like the go-to place around here for exhaust stuff.
You messed up by picking an axelback and not a catback.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZyJ View Post

The two main things involved in how loud your exhaust is, is if you have or how many cats you have. And what catback you choose.

Looks like you removed the cats, and chose a loud axleback. Should have got
A quieter catback.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Adding a resonator is not going to help you with volume. Get a quieter axleback/catback.
I know you said you're not interested in putting the OEM muffler back on, is it because or the tips? the weight? or too quiet? Have you had the OEM in place with that aftermarket header and overpipe? It's worth a listen and easy enough to do, especially if you still have it...$0 to try.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
BRZyJ (01-27-2019), Tcoat (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #5
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Garage
Resonator advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Adding a resonator is not going to help you with volume. Get a quieter axleback/catback.

I know you said you're not interested in putting the OEM muffler back on, is it because or the tips? the weight? or too quiet? Have you had the OEM in place with that aftermarket header and overpipe? It's worth a listen and easy enough to do, especially if you still have it...$0 to try.

This, header and catted frontpipe only ftw:

Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
BRZyJ (01-27-2019), NoHaveMSG (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
This, header and catted frontpipe only ftw:

That is actually considerably louder then my setup but sounds pretty good. I am running a Nameless header, Nameless catted FP, and stock cat back and it is dead quiet until 4k. It sounds like shit though.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
That is actually considerably louder then my setup but sounds pretty good. I am running a Nameless header, Nameless catted FP, and stock cat back and it is dead quiet until 4k. It sounds like shit though.
If the Nameless catted front pipe is a high flow cat, I'll bet that's what made it sound like shit. I did something similar but with the Berk front pipe with high flow cat and yup...sounded like shit, got loud and raspy. (with Tomei UEL catless header and the rest stock). That stock front pipe really tames the exhaust.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
BRZyJ

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I figured but I came across several posts with people saying they were getting 10-20% noise reduction with resonators. Whether
that's actual dB's or just perception I don't know, but I don't mind spending ~$100 or whatever to try it. I just don't want to buy something that has no hope of fitting. The guy in this post seems to have had some success with the Vibrant 1792 on the stock midpipe so maybe I'll try that. If it works, great...if not I'm not out too much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Yeah it's relatively heavy and doesn't look or sound particularly good. I did run the header/overpipe with the stock muffler for a while, it was almost indistinguishable from having everything stock IIRC. I like the WORKS ABM a lot and the noise doesn't particularly bother me it's just that the novelty has sort of worn off, so I'm looking to do a cheap/easy fix or just leave it as is.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #9
BRZyJ

Garage
Went by Minute Muffler today, Scott chopped out a section of the midpipe after the factory resonator and welded in a 18" bottle resonator. On the way home the car sounded relatively subdued and a little more civilized than before.

Not real scientific but after it warmed up this morning before I left I got out my cheap sound meter and measured 3,000 RPMs at 10 feet, 89.4 dB. Measured again when I got home, 83.2 dB...if I'd thought of it sooner I would have taken a few more before readings. Regardless, $80 well spent in my book.