follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
Godzpeed

Drives: Nissan GTR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Delivery before the end of the month

My dealer friends just called, they say the first batch of grey import 86 will be ready in about 2 weeks. They are asking me if I still want it or not... it cost around 30% more than the official toyota HK cars. But these will be genuine JDM and I'll be driving it at least 2-3 months ahead of the official toyota cars that are due in around august/sep....

I'm quite tempted....
But driving it 2-3 months ahead of most ppl for 30% more.... is it really worth it?
Godzpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzpeed View Post
But driving it 2-3 months ahead of most ppl for 30% more.... is it really worth it?
Only you can answer that. I wouldn't do it, but there are those who will.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If it was the highest trim GT 86 it would be interesting. I don't really think I could justify 30% more for 2 months. Because in 2 months you'll be the same as everybody else. Unless it has the Toyota badge then that's pretty ballin'. :P Still too much though! Paying like 40K for a 30K Car.
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
Godzpeed

I believe they have a batch of GT Limited arriving.

I'm not sure which trim Toyota HK will be bringing. I'm guessing just the standard GT.
But for sure Toyota HK's pricing will be far better than parallel imports.

For reference, the Prius V cost around $500,000 for the imported version, and Toyota HK's official version is priced at $340,000

The highest trim Prius V have a similar MSRP in Japan as the 86 GT Limited. So I'm guessing the difference will be around the same.

Also many aftermarket shops already have TRD and Modellista parts in stock!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Do it bro! Do it like Nike!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Only you can answer that. I wouldn't do it, but there are those who will.
+1

You're looking at something like a $6,000 price increase. You need to ask yourself if that's worth not waiting a few more months. If your Daddy Warbucks and 6k is pocket lint then by all means, but most people can't bat an eye at that sort of money.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #7
Godzpeed

Some updates

Toyota has revealed the HK pricing. There are only 4 trims in total

Sport MT - $355,250
Sport AT - $365,400
Sport Plus MT - $378,700
Sport Plus AT - $388,850

I'm guessing the sport would equal the GT in JDM Trim and Sport Plus would be GT Limited

Delivery starts sometime mid May.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
Prava
Insegrevious Member

Drives: Raven FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Not even worth it imo, bro... Serious. Just wait it out and get the one you want with all the add-ons n' s***.

"Character is who you are when nobody is looking."
Club4AG | Micro Image | Solar Shade | FRS86

Prava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Call me skeptical, but can they even do this? I'm thinking this guy must be pulling your leg or something.

I thought that to import a proper car from Japan it had to be over 25 years old? Or at the very least, cut completely in half!

I'm pretty sure that this is someone trolling you. I don't think this is legal in anyway. I can't even imagine trying to buy insurance.

I may be wrong but I highly doubt this is true.

bneale
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
davesrave

Drives: 2014 Boxster S; 2015 Macan S
Quote:
My dealer friends just called, they say the first batch of grey import 86 will be ready in about 2 weeks. They are asking me if I still want it or not... it cost around 30% more than the official toyota HK cars. But these will be genuine JDM and I'll be driving it at least 2-3 months ahead of the official toyota cars that are due in around august/sep....

I'm quite tempted....
Why can your dealer get these cars before anyone else in HK by 3 months?
davesrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:22 AM   #11
Godzpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneale View Post
Call me skeptical, but can they even do this? I'm thinking this guy must be pulling your leg or something.

I thought that to import a proper car from Japan it had to be over 25 years old? Or at the very least, cut completely in half!

I'm pretty sure that this is someone trolling you. I don't think this is legal in anyway. I can't even imagine trying to buy insurance.

I may be wrong but I highly doubt this is true.

bneale
I live in HK, importing JDM cars are completely legal as long as you pay the taxes.

People in Japan has started taking deliveries long ago. a bunch of 86 has already landed in the ports of HK. But first they gotta go thru government inspection and emission test before they could be registered.

Also, then yen prices are really high. Thats why the JDM cars cost so much more than the official toyota HK cars.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
davesrave

Drives: 2014 Boxster S; 2015 Macan S
Quote:
I live in HK, importing JDM cars are completely legal as long as you pay the taxes.

People in Japan has started taking deliveries long ago. a bunch of 86 has already landed in the ports of HK. But first they gotta go thru government inspection and emission test before they could be registered.

Also, then yen prices are really high. Thats why the JDM cars cost so much more than the official toyota HK cars.
Careful! If yen prices are high, then they're also high for Toyota when they sell there cars in HK dollars. Something doesn't add up...
davesrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #13
Godzpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesrave View Post
Careful! If yen prices are high, then they're also high for Toyota when they sell there cars in HK dollars. Something doesn't add up...
The official price is announced by Toyota themselves and that is also the price I ordered from them. Private dealers import theirs directly from Japan's wholesaler.

I have no idea how Toyota HK can push the price of the car before tax so low.

If we take away the HK tax on the car. I believe its around 190k only. which is a little over 20k USD for the top of the line premium models! So HK's before tax price is actually cheapest around the world.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:42 AM   #14
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
The official price is announced by Toyota themselves and that is also the price I ordered from them. Private dealers import theirs directly from Japan's wholesaler.

I have no idea how Toyota HK can push the price of the car before tax so low.

If we take away the HK tax on the car. I believe its around 190k only. which is a little over 20k USD for the top of the line premium models! So HK's before tax price is actually cheapest around the world.
I really need to find a job in HK. I'm tired of my visits feeling too short. That price is nuts, but driving in HK seems a bit hard to do. Where are some the best places? It seems like the south side of the main HK island would be good, or maybe outside of the city on Kowloon side?
denkigrve is offline   Reply With Quote