follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #29
TheDemons

Drives: Sonic Blue GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hopefully it gets fixed quick and proper this time.
TheDemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #30
davey90
Akina Speed Stars

Drives: White 86 GTS Auto [CID- ***]
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to davey90
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnLeasHer View Post
So I was really happy with how fast they fixed the issue. Until 5:30pm yesterday... When the shakes came back, traction control went off, engine light on and severe loss of power. Worse than before. I dropped it in again this morning. Fingers crossed it can be fixed in a couple of days instead of weeks.

While I am PISSED, I am a lady with manners so am not going to angry at a service dept who didnt make the car. So long as they try to do the right thing (keep me informed and treat me with respect I won't be going DMX on anyone).

I've said very calmly that if it needs parts and will take more than a couple of days then I'd expect to be compensated with a replacement car in the interim. Which they said it was up to Toyota HQ on case by case basis. I like these guys, they do prepare me for the worse and try their best so points to them.

Doesn't heal the pain, but certainly eases it.
oh dear...

All the best UnLeasHer! hope she comes back purring again. i wonder if they ever check the ECU and contact Toyota Japan Service HQ.

The reason i mention Toyota Japan is because. My cousin works for Kia (who also makes Hyundai) Service and parts tells me stories of the worse cars to fix and what he does to solve the issues.

Not sure how Toyota does it but for Kia (and Hyundai). When ever they try fix an issue and get stuck on something they're not sure about. they contact Kia Korea Service HQ hotline and talk to them about what they go through and they will help you out from there since everything is on their database from how to disassembling the entire car to parts (including types of screws used/needed).

following from that, when i went to get my weather visor shields fitted that i bought from genuine parts Toyota Japan. they go "OH, we can't fit this, it doesn't fit. i think Japan 86 is different to Australia version..." i'm like "man, that's a load of bull...." so i took it home and fit it myself.

not really good service from Toyota (not sure if it's cool to state which service center this is, people say they are most recommended. not in my books...).
Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #31
st162celica

Drives: 86 GTS Manual - Tornado Grey
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
@davey90

Dont get me started. I went for my checkup and told them to fix the gearknob. They put some thread tape on it but its still loose. Better still all the red stiching on the gearknbob was black fromdirty greasy hands. They said sorry and thats about it. Told them off an said if i cant clean it i want a new gearknob.

Already talking to the leasing company for my options to service elsewhere.
st162celica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #32
a.beck
Doing it wrong.

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey90 View Post
not really good service from Toyota (not sure if it's cool to state which service center this is, people say they are most recommended. not in my books...).
Call them out. Unhappy customers telling people to steer clear is one of the only compelling reasons they have to improve things.
a.beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #33
sho

Drives: s2000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st162celica View Post
@davey90

Dont get me started. I went for my checkup and told them to fix the gearknob. They put some thread tape on it but its still loose. Better still all the red stiching on the gearknbob was black fromdirty greasy hands. They said sorry and thats about it. Told them off an said if i cant clean it i want a new gearknob.

Already talking to the leasing company for my options to service elsewhere.

I had the same issue.. got the car back, dirty red stitching on gear knob... took me about 30mins to clean with carpet shampoo and a cloth

next time, im just gonna glad wrap it
sho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sho For This Useful Post:
ZZT86 (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #34
UnLeasHer

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS & Mazda 3 SP23
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks guys for the moral support.

I rang them and asked what is going on - they said they've contacted Toyota Engineering and Toyota Australia to try and see if there are similar issues (aka not sure what the issue is still)/ get me a loan car/ get parts (because the part they replace BROKE and the I got was 'the last one in Australia' in their system). They are also trying to source parts from Subaru, because even if the issue is unknown the sensor is still busted and need replacement.

I will find out tomorrow morning if I get to take my baby home, or a loan car... which will be a corolla or yaris... hmmm not overly joyed but any car will do at this stage. I said I'd rather they keep the car and get this issue fixed then get it to me quick for it to break again.

I did say I thought it was the ECU from the start, I swear no one listens to me because I am a young women in a full suit... Im not a pro but I know my car. I know how it's meant to feel and sound - and I know when something is off.

Wasnt there an ECU upgrade on the 25th October overseas?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #35
davey90
Akina Speed Stars

Drives: White 86 GTS Auto [CID- ***]
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to davey90
Quote:

I rang them and asked what is going on - they said they've contacted Toyota Engineering and Toyota Australia to try and see if there are similar issues (aka not sure what the issue is still)/ get me a loan car/ get parts (because the part they replace BROKE and the I got was 'the last one in Australia' in their system). They are also trying to source parts from Subaru, because even if the issue is unknown the sensor is still busted and need replacement.

I will find out tomorrow morning if I get to take my baby home, or a loan car... which will be a corolla or yaris... hmmm not overly joyed but any car will do at this stage. I said I'd rather they keep the car and get this issue fixed then get it to me quick for it to break again.

I did say I thought it was the ECU from the start, I swear no one listens to me because I am a young women in a full suit... Im not a pro but I know my car. I know how it's meant to feel and sound - and I know when something is off.

Toyota are well known for that, they treat you like a fool. They even treated me like a fool and i fixed my GPS system up.

Sorry UnLeasHer stealing your thread.

Long story short - same Toyota Service Center (SC Toyota)

told them the GPS cannot find satellites to lock my position and it's take more then an hour to lock on, sometimes never. Can you please look into it? They went "ok, we'll fix for you"

They're quick to call me back but the response wasn't what i expected instead they think i have no knowledge of how my car works. they said "oh the GPS system takes 20-30mins to find your position and also it depends on the weather conditions, my boss has the exact same system on his car and it's doing the same thing."

so i played the fool cause i know his full of $#!T. "oh ok...so what's the point of having a system like that when my phone is faster? not only that i'll be at my destination with a road directory before the GPS is ready." he goes " Oh, it'll slowly remember and collect data after a few trips and use of the GPS system"

by this time i had enough of them "alright, so my car is ready to go?"
them "yup, all yours free of charge "

Suddenly my IT side of the brain started thinking (what if it's like a computer, maybe the wires inside are interfering with the receiver coverage?)

I went home, pulled the Head unit out, located my GPS receiver. Tidied up the wires behind the head unit (used extra cable ties). So everything is clear from the GPS receiver.

Guess what? I FIXED IT! find my location with in 10-15secs!

anyways, back on topic! There was an update on the 25th of October? oh crap...
Old 11-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #36
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
This makes me sad in many ways . . . the car we all want & love has problems the designers & makers don't know how to fix. I can't believe a sensor or a solenoid would pack it in so quickly & I can't believe a servicing dealer can be so dumb. All Toyota dealers nationwide have access to Toyota Technical Division who are the elite mechanics & experts for the cars they make (although this one mainly Subaru). If they don't know how to fix it then they consult Japan &/or log the issue with the manufacturer for rectification.

This issue with rough idle has been going on since the car was released & has been discussed at length on this forum http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72 , TMCA released a TNF explaining how to record the data of anomaly & not too long ago this article surfaced http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...-sporty-coupes whereby Toyota/Subaru claim the ECU either needed re-flashing OR replacing yet some dealers don't have the foggiest!

Whilst your car is in for exploratory surgery I would be firm in asking for a descent loan car in the interim. Gee whiz

Edit: not all dealers are hopeless, there are some really good ones around . . . .
Attached Images

Last edited by ZZT86; 11-01-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Edit line
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZZT86 For This Useful Post:
Surok (11-01-2012), UnLeasHer (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #37
trinitron

Drives: gts 86
Quote:

I went home, pulled the Head unit out, located my GPS receiver. Tidied up the wires behind the head unit (used extra cable ties). So everything is clear from the GPS receiver.

Guess what? I FIXED IT! find my location with in 10-15secs!

anyways, back on topic! There was an update on the 25th of October? oh crap...
Where is the GPS receiver located? And did you manage to update your system??
trinitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #38
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
TSB already released for GPS reception issue . . . http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20659
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #39
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Haha this car is hilarious
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #40
450hp/tonne

Drives: 2011 Corolla Ascent Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post
TSB already released for GPS reception issue . . . http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20659
This is not what Toyota Australia receive. The information is only relevant to both the model and market the bulletin is issued for.
450hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #41
450hp/tonne

Drives: 2011 Corolla Ascent Sport
Quote:

I hope the dealer contacted TMCA in the first place, as the billetin above requested, as TMCA do have everything required to fix cars. If they didn't, I completely understand why the issue reoccurred ...

The ECU is not the sole factor, but it is part of the puzzle of this problem.

Be careful when talking about software from other countries, as software can be different for every country and not all get certification at the same time. The US regulations are flexible, but Australian ADR approval is comparatively rigid and takes longer for approval.
450hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #42
UnLeasHer

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS & Mazda 3 SP23
Quote:
Long story short - same Toyota Service Center (SC Toyota)
SC Toyota? Mine is Bill Buckle in Brookevale.