follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone make their own muffler delete / turn-down?

I'm in the market for a track-only muffler delete, as I like how quiet it is around town, but need to hear the exhaust on track - right now it is way too quiet on track.

I was looking at the berk and nameless products, that are simply a flange with a pipe, and are $100+, which is pretty steep considering what it is.

Has anyone made their own muffler delete / turn-down, and if so, can you post details? (i.e. flange type, size and tubing size).

I'm just looking for a flange with a small pipe to vent the exhaust away from the rear bumper, like this QTP setup for $25, but doesn't appear to be the right flange type.

smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
I have a used Berk that I'm selling if you're interested.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat. I'm not looking to spend $100-$300 for something which the sum of it's parts is $15.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
I have a used Berk that I'm selling if you're interested.
interested but not at that price, lol, which is why im looking to do a DIY
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
You know that a muffler delete on this car loses about 8-10 WHP, right? Unless you're running a full turbo setup, stick with a 2.5" exhaust for maximum power. These cars don't do well NA or SC with little to no back pressure.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
I'm in the same boat. I'm not looking to spend $100-$300 for something which the sum of it's parts is $15.
Source for $15 price? Maybe if its cheap mild steel. Yes these are small parts so material cost reflect that but after material you have to pay someone to design it and then pay someone to produce it. Then you have to pay someone to advertise it. All the while you have the over head of running a business to do all these things.

There are a few more things then material costs that go into products price.

If you know how to weld then a DIY should be a cake walk

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
chadstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk1 View Post
Source for $15 price? Maybe if its cheap mild steel. Yes these are small parts so material cost reflect that but after material you have to pay someone to design it and then pay someone to produce it. Then you have to pay someone to advertise it. All the while you have the over head of running a business to do all these things.

There are a few more things then material costs that go into products price.

If you know how to weld then a DIY should be a cake walk
A DIY on how to lose power..great idea!!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
You know that a muffler delete on this car loses about 8-10 WHP, right? Unless you're running a full turbo setup, stick with a 2.5" exhaust for maximum power. These cars don't do well NA or SC with little to no back pressure.
so by making a much more direct path for the exhaust we actually lose 6% power? Seems like a bit much
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22727

I strongly disagree with ya Chad sorry bro
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
A DIY on how to lose power..great idea!!
I'm not talking at all about the performance of the part. I'm talking about physically making the part. I think that's pretty clear by my post. But to address your comment I'm a firm believer that a considerable amount of the performance gain from a replacement exhaust is the weight reduction they can offer from the stock system. So in that respect a muffler delete is a good choice.

ADDING HP IS NOT THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE A CAR FASTER.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Slash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wait seriously? You should get out your tin foil hat. You'll still have 2 cats to provide precious back pressure. I'd love to see a dyno of the axle back reducing power in any way.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
chadstyle

I'm going off dyno numbers here... FA20Club has dyno'd a few cars with muffler deletes and every single one of them lost power. He just went through this all over again with the guys in AZ...these cars don't do well NA with little to no back pressure and that's been proven time and time again.

Yes, saving weight is another way to make a car faster but if you lose 10 HP to save 20 pounds you really didn't do much to help now did you?

Lastly, anyone that has even the most basic of metal working skills could build this part in their sleep..don't understand the post asking for a DIY.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
chadstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22727

I strongly disagree with ya Chad sorry bro
This post is garbage, hate to tell you bro. If you notice, ALL the exhausts made the same power (within 1-2) HP and only differences are the weight.

Put these exhausts into real world builds coupled with tunes and other parts and see how they do. FA20Club ran a car for a few pulls that had a berk muffler delete and it was the lowest car on power out of the entire bunch. Swapped the muffler delete for OEM exhaust and picked up 10HP the first run. You can't argue with real world results.

Lastly, it's also been proven time and time again that swapping the headers on these cars makes the biggest gains and eliminates the TQ dip when coupled with a tune. It also saves you about 12 pounds (for those looking for weight savings too) and gave me 30 foot pounds of TQ where my dip USED to be. That's a REAL mod that saves weight and makes a ton of useable TQ and power.

I have spent countless hours with my car strapped to a dyno..I know what gains I have made from which parts. I have also seen a ton of other 86s on the dyno and have seen some lose power and some make power.

Ask yourself this...what do I have to gain by sharing my knowledge of the power loss with you? I mean really?? I'm here trying to help you as I have seen this mod first hand losing power and I'm trying to save you time and headaches. If you don't believe me, that's fine too...you can learn the hard way. You can also give FA20Club a call...he has tuned more 86s than any other tuner to date. As how he feels about muffler deletes too...

If you haven't checked out my dyno results in my build thread I invite you to check them out.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
chadstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
Wait seriously? You should get out your tin foil hat. You'll still have 2 cats to provide precious back pressure. I'd love to see a dyno of the axle back reducing power in any way.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Maybe you should look harder...there's plenty that exist. As I said, the BEST way to gain power through exhaust on this car is the header, end of story. Couple it with a tune for no CEL and max gains.

I have countless years of experience professionally building cars.. My talent has taken me all over the world building cars for for royalty and the rich and famous. I have hundreds of hours of footage that you have probably watched on TV of me building cars as well.. I know my shit, plain and simple. I'm not some noob trolling the forums. Take your tin foil hat and make a pipe to smoke some more of whatever you're smoking because your argument is weak and has nothing to back it up.

All of you that think that a muffler delete on a NA build of an 86 is the way need to do some serious homework.