follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #29
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I’m going to try to sniff the communications from Techstream and make my own 86nanny with an Arduino.
Could you do the same with an OFT? It has a push button pedal dance function.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #30
Beastronix

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSube View Post
I think a lot of people do, myself included, but I fear Beastronix may not exist anymore. I had an email exchange with them last June and was told their V2 86 Nanny would be out soon. Their site is still dark and they haven't posted on their fb page since last September. Also, the MIG 86 Traction/VSC eliminator 86 Speed Fac. sold has been shown as discontinued for months. Don't know if these are legal or developmental problems or something else.
We are very much still alive! I apologize if I dropped the ball on getting back to you at some point. I'd like to communicate with you further to see what exactly happened if you don't mind? I did roll-out a ticketing system around last June to help me organize and keep track of communication, so maybe it was before that system and I failed to pull you from my original email list.

I've been swamped the last 12+ months which is why I haven't been active on social media or these forums. I still keep Beastronix as a side business due to my ties to my primary job, but Beastronix is alive and well every single night, it's just been constant building & assembly. My lack of advertising has in part been due to the steady work I have without the advertising (Not a bad thing at all lol).

As for the website, at this time it just needs the finishing touches. It's been tough managing my day to day work loads, but I don't ever plan on halting Beastronix.

Shoot me an email at support@beastronix.com and I'll send over all the V2 details/pics. I have a steady queue of build requests that I'm working through day to day and the wait time isn't very long at the moment.
Beastronix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beastronix For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-20-2018), zombieite (10-23-2019)
Old 02-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #31
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
For sure that is also an option. I am assuming it isn't actually emulating the pedal dance though as the OFT is only plugged into the OBD2 port. But perhaps there is some can bus traffic created by pushing on the brake pedal that could be emulated without tripping the actual brake switch. All speculation. I hope to know more later this week.

Out of curiosity, when the OFT disables TC/ASC, do the dash lights turn on?
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #32
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastronix View Post
We are very much still alive! I apologize if I dropped the ball on getting back to you at some point. I'd like to communicate with you further to see what exactly happened if you don't mind? I did roll-out a ticketing system around last June to help me organize and keep track of communication, so maybe it was before that system and I failed to pull you from my original email list.

I've been swamped the last 12+ months which is why I haven't been active on social media or these forums. I still keep Beastronix as a side business due to my ties to my primary job, but Beastronix is alive and well every single night, it's just been constant building & assembly. My lack of advertising has in part been due to the steady work I have without the advertising (Not a bad thing at all lol).

As for the website, at this time it just needs the finishing touches. It's been tough managing my day to day work loads, but I don't ever plan on halting Beastronix.

Shoot me an email at support@beastronix.com and I'll send over all the V2 details/pics. I have a steady queue of build requests that I'm working through day to day and the wait time isn't very long at the moment.
Hey man, that's great news!! I'll email you
Raceseng Circuit Sphere 100 shifter arm, Radium catch can and master cylinder brace, Perrin oil cooler, Vorshlag front camber plates, ACE A350 header & overpipe, Berk catted front pipe, CSGxMXP exhaust, Delicious NA Stage II tune & Flex Fuel
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSube For This Useful Post:
Beastronix (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #33
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Out of curiosity, when the OFT disables TC/ASC, do the dash lights turn on?
Yes they come on.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:53 PM   #34
Asidrive

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I dont think I have seen this solution yet but unplugging the ABS sensor seems to turn off everything like pulling the fuse. The connection is above the driver side wheel liner. I plan to setup a switch at some point to be able to toggle it on or off as needed from inside the car.

I use this method for Rallycross with good success.

Credit to @Weasel Soup for the idea.
Asidrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #35
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asidrive View Post
I dont think I have seen this solution yet but unplugging the ABS sensor seems to turn off everything like pulling the fuse. The connection is above the driver side wheel liner. I plan to setup a switch at some point to be able to toggle it on or off as needed from inside the car.

That’s actually a great idea. If I can’t pull it off via CANBus I will definitely go that route. I’m guessing connecting it (flipping the switch) will not bring it back without restarting the car. Worst case it’s not that big of a deal to flip the switch and then do a flick of the key. Beats holding the button for 5 secs every time you start the car.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #36
Beastronix

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asidrive View Post

Be careful unplugging the sensors for high grip surfaces. You'll toss the SCM into a confused state which can shift the bias under heavy braking. If EBFD is still active it can make things even more interesting.

On slippery surfaces you're probably fine, just be cautious if you jump on a track.
Beastronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:37 AM   #37
ermax

Success. I was able to sniff the inspection mode on and off packets along with the packets to turn the LEDs off and on. I was able to manually send the packets to turn off TC and ASC and then turn the annoying LEDs off. Then I took it for a test drive. TC and VSC are definitely off and ABS is still on. Not sure there is a way to disable ABS via CANBus but I will keep playing.

Other cool things you can do are turn the headlights on and off, parking lights on and off, DRLs on and off, interior lights on and off, lock unlock the doors, windows up and down, pop the trunk, honk the horn, make an beep sound like when you lock with the fob.... probably forgetting some things. I’m thinking of adding auto headlights based on TOD. Need to do some testing to see what happens when you turn off the car. My laptop battery died and it’s past my bedtime.

This is going to be a fun project and good learning experience.

Last edited by ermax; 02-21-2018 at 11:43 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-21-2018), Subsonic (02-21-2018), Ultramaroon (02-21-2018), wparsons (05-24-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #38
ChristineAlexa

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - White
Ok you are making me want to hack the canbus so I can make the doors lock/unlock with ignition

Let alone, get an IQ3, replace the factory dash, and read the canbus with the IQ3 as well.

Quote:
Success. I was able to sniff the inspection mode on and off packets along with the packets to turn the LEDs off and on. I was able to manually send the packets to turn off TC and ASC and then turn the annoying LEDs off. Then I took it for a test drive. TC and VSC are definitely off and ABS is still on. Not sure there is a way to disable ABS via CANBus but I will keep playing.

Other cool things you can do are turn the headlights on and off, parking lights on and off, DRLs on and off, interior lights on and off, lock unlock the doors, windows up and down, pop the trunk, honk the horn, make an beep sound like when you lock with the fob.... probably forgetting some things. I’m thinking of adding auto headlights based on TOD. Need to do some testing to see what happens when you turn off the car. My laptop battery died and it’s past my bedtime.

ChristineAlexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:18 AM   #39
dentikhval

Drives: GT86
Quote:

OOOH that is nice!
Can you please help us all by posting code snippets and/or a table of CANBus signals representing which command means and does what?

I am planning to use some of the signals for automating some lighting functions and not having separate switches for everything.

@ChristineAlexa You need to leave the factory dash because the immoboliser will not allow the engine to run without it (it requires engine ECU, body ECU, dash, steering column, key receiver and key to be from the same car/programmed by dealer). However, to install an aftermarket dash we can leave the OEM dash circuit plugged in and hidden somewhere under the dash, and have IQ3 or whatever other dash wired separately and istalled in place of the OEM dash.
Other way to go is standalone engine management but it's a whole new ball game.
dentikhval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #40
zombieite

Drives: 2017 Limited Edition, manual
Quote:

I'd love more details on this. What should I buy? How did you figure this stuff out? What steps can we take to replicate your success? I'm competent with software engineering but know nothing about hardware or car hacking. Yet.
zombieite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:37 AM   #41
zombieite

Drives: 2017 Limited Edition, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

What's an OFT?
zombieite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #42
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieite View Post
What's an OFT?
Openflash Tablet -