follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
adjusts

Drives: Raven Black Scion FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
JRSC C30 Loud whine

Hey all,

Recently my FRS has been experiencing an increase in supercharger whine coming from the rotrex unit. Since I installed the kit, I have made incredible efforts to check the rotrex fluid every week.

Last week, it hit around 30 deg F outside, took the FRS for a drive. This was when the whine got progressively louder. I didn't think too much of it. Checked the rotrex fluid yet once again, as well as the air filter and for any boost leaks, none. Fast forward to today (Sunday, 11/26), I was driving back on the way from groceries, and I hear a pop from the unit. I lost power from the blower, I could still drive, but the rotrex unit sounded like a blender filled with rocks.

My question is, has anyone experienced this before? I know Jackson Racing has awesome customer service, I'm hoping this is covered by warranty, as I really would not like to shell out another 2.1k or so for a new c30 blower. I have already contacted to see what steps I can take moving forward, just waiting for a response. Pretty bummed about this, the car is just sitting now.

Here is a sound clip. Car drove fine before the pop, the whine was just a bit loud, almost ear piercing when you popped the hood.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGdo2lvtBIw"]JRSC C30 Rotrex supercharger LOUD noise - FRS/BRZ - YouTube[/ame]

Black (Raven) D4S Scion FRS (Sold)|| Black (CBP) FK8 Civic Type R || Black (BSM) F80 M3 Comp (Sold) || Black (Jet) E46 M3 || Laguna Seca Blue (LSB) E46 M3 (Sold) || Alpine White (AW) E92 M3 || Carrara White 997 GT3RS
adjusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Have you contacted Jackson Racing directly?

Try emailing tech at jackson racing dot com
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Jmonty (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yep sounds like a warranty claim on the unit, how many miles?
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
adjusts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmonty View Post
Yep sounds like a warranty claim on the unit, how many miles?
I would guess about 3-4000 miles on the setup. I put the kit on in the summer, most of these are DD/highway miles.

Black (Raven) D4S Scion FRS (Sold)|| Black (CBP) FK8 Civic Type R || Black (BSM) F80 M3 Comp (Sold) || Black (Jet) E46 M3 || Laguna Seca Blue (LSB) E46 M3 (Sold) || Alpine White (AW) E92 M3 || Carrara White 997 GT3RS
Old 11-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
adjusts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Have you contacted Jackson Racing directly?

Try emailing tech at jackson racing dot com
I have been in touch with their info at jackson racing email, but no response yet. I'll get in touch with the email you just provided, thank you.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Did you purchase the kit brand new? You may also want to contact your vendor for support.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
adjusts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Did you purchase the kit brand new? You may also want to contact your vendor for support.
not new, it was used from a shop in Northern California. I'll contact them. Jackson Racing just got back to me and have been very helpful in the process so far, very prompt replies. I'll see what the vendor says.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:51 AM   #8
RevoG

Drives: Hot Lava 86 MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Mine sounds exactly like that. Thought it might be fluid but the levels are perfect.

Suppose I need to send a clip to JR.
JR Supercharger, JR RS Pulley, JR Oil cooler, JDL UEL header, Dual resonated 3" JDL Overpipe Front pipe, Perrin 3" resonated cat back exhaust, Upgraded Koyorad radiator, ECUTek tune, Enkei RS05RR 18x9.5, Bridgestone RE003 265/35/18, KW V3 Coilovers, Valenti sequential taillights, Kartboy short shifter kit
RevoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #9
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusts View Post
Hey all,

Recently my FRS has been experiencing an increase in supercharger whine coming from the rotrex unit. Since I installed the kit, I have made incredible efforts to check the rotrex fluid every week.

Last week, it hit around 30 deg F outside, took the FRS for a drive. This was when the whine got progressively louder. I didn't think too much of it. Checked the rotrex fluid yet once again, as well as the air filter and for any boost leaks, none. Fast forward to today (Sunday, 11/26), I was driving back on the way from groceries, and I hear a pop from the unit. I lost power from the blower, I could still drive, but the rotrex unit sounded like a blender filled with rocks.

My question is, has anyone experienced this before? I know Jackson Racing has awesome customer service, I'm hoping this is covered by warranty, as I really would not like to shell out another 2.1k or so for a new c30 blower. I have already contacted to see what steps I can take moving forward, just waiting for a response. Pretty bummed about this, the car is just sitting now.

Here is a sound clip. Car drove fine before the pop, the whine was just a bit loud, almost ear piercing when you popped the hood.

Mine did the same thing last month. Bearing failure. From first contact with JR to having a new unit arrive was about a month. I bought mine new directly from JR. I had about 6k miles on it. Rotrex has a 10 working day warranty inspection period. If covered, they send you a new unit, filter and reservoir.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Jmonty (12-15-2017)

Tags
jackson racing, jrsc, supercharger