follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #1009
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
I was reading a review of the 3M weatherstrip adhesive and few people said it dries out, does not retain a strong bond over time affecting its water resistance. One person said he used silicon adhesive (the kind you buy at Home Depot to attach a sink to a pedestal and the pedestal to a tiled floor). He said it's strong and completely waterproof. Have you heard of this? I purchased the gaskets last night and would be willing to test it (provided I get a free replacement in case the experiment failed ).
Not sure you need to worry about the 3M stuff. I got mine awhile back whenever I redid my left side light and gaskets and it is still fine. I'll take a close look tomorrow and post a pic.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 AM   #1010
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleboy View Post
Not sure you need to worry about the 3M stuff. I got mine awhile back whenever I redid my left side light and gaskets and it is still fine. I'll take a close look tomorrow and post a pic.

Did you also do the tape to cover the gap between the light and the sheet metal as mentioned earlier?
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #1011
OUGrad05

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i M Sport, 2004 Z06
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know if there's a TSB that covers this issue? I'm looking at an FRS that is used and outside of the 3yr/36k warranty. The pics show no condensate in the tail light but definitely wet around the edges of the light, at least that's what it appears to be.

If it's out of warranty and I have to buy new lights that can't be cheap. If Toyota will still fix it I won't sweat it.
OUGrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #1012
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Does anyone know if there's a TSB that covers this issue? I'm looking at an FRS that is used and outside of the 3yr/36k warranty. The pics show no condensate in the tail light but definitely wet around the edges of the light, at least that's what it appears to be.

If it's out of warranty and I have to buy new lights that can't be cheap. If Toyota will still fix it I won't sweat it.
It's a known defect. It should still be covered.
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #1013
wdninja

Drives: 2023 Toyota GR86 Premium
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I personally tested a variety of silicones and adhesives before going with the 3M Superstrength Weatherstrip Adhesive. It was the best combination of ease of application, seal, longevity, flexibility, and price. I personally haven't seen or heard of anyone with any issues with it drying out, some of which are going on 3+ years of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
I was reading a review of the 3M weatherstrip adhesive and few people said it dries out, does not retain a strong bond over time affecting its water resistance. One person said he used silicon adhesive (the kind you buy at Home Depot to attach a sink to a pedestal and the pedestal to a tiled floor). He said it's strong and completely waterproof. Have you heard of this? I purchased the gaskets last night and would be willing to test it (provided I get a free replacement in case the experiment failed ).
Old 07-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #1014
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post

Last I heard, the known defect (TSB) acknowledges only over tightening of the bolts through the gasket, warping the mounting surface allowing water entry.

Corporate has not admitted the design mistake allowing the assaultive eroding water flow.

I haven't seen anything addressing the engineering flaw with the new twins.

Anyone opened the trunk on a new twin to see the design flaw fixed ?
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #1015
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
that's just the blinker fluid
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #1016
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,955 Times in 11,382 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
It is not covered if it is outside the 36M/36000M warranty. I know from experience, mine did it 59,000 miles and I tried to get it covered with this result.

Bottom line, a TSB is not the same as a recall which is covered regardless of mileage.

Interestingly enough, mine dried out over the winter and has not repeated since then. I purchased new/better gaskets but have not installed them. Probably should get around to doing that.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:03 AM   #1017
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Just bought my car nearly a month ago, and noticed the right rear light has condensation on the top portion where the plastic flattens out horizontally. I'm going to contact the dealer to get this replaced under warranty. You'd think the last year of the car before the facelift/rebadge/tweaks would have worked this issue out by now.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:14 AM   #1018
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Just bought my car nearly a month ago, and noticed the right rear light has condensation on the top portion where the plastic flattens out horizontally. I'm going to contact the dealer to get this replaced under warranty. You'd think the last year of the car before the facelift/rebadge/tweaks would have worked this issue out by now.
They will just replace it with the same thing so once they swap it you may want to do the goop dam thing. They changed the gaskets way back in 14 and there are not a whole lot of later ones that have it from what I have read.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #1019
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They will just replace it with the same thing so once they swap it you may want to do the goop dam thing. They changed the gaskets way back in 14 and there are not a whole lot of later ones that have it from what I have read.
So it is a possibility that it'll happen again on a replacement piece? Does it just require a DIY resealing that'll outlive the car? Lol
Old 11-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #1020
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Figured I'd post my experience... I got my car in 2012 and had condensation in both lights. Dealer replaced the passenger side under warranty; however, the drivers side of course didn't decide to have any the day I got the work done. The one replaced has remained ok; however, my drivers side is getting worst. Looks like I'll be going to Tom's for replacements like others have done.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:51 AM   #1021
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
March and April has been rainy enough to finally confirm: after driving through several hours of light to heavy downpour the past 2 months (including an hour of rain driving home tonight), I NO LONGER HAVE CONDENSATION in my original OEM tail lights!!!

After 4 and half years, I can finally enjoy sliding my car around in the rain without getting condensation in my tail lights!

Whoohoo!

It just goes to prove.. sometimes if you ignore a "trivial" problem, it actually does go away!

Seriously though, I have no idea why this is the case. I'm guessing there's probably so much gunk built up around the gasket area, no more water can get in lol
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #1022
Cope
Driver

Drives: Black 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdninja View Post
I personally tested a variety of silicones and adhesives before going with the 3M Superstrength Weatherstrip Adhesive. It was the best combination of ease of application, seal, longevity, flexibility, and price. I personally haven't seen or heard of anyone with any issues with it drying out, some of which are going on 3+ years of use.
Just ordered my replacement seals from Gasket Ninja. The seals on my Buddy Club tails finally gave it up after the fourth (!!!) time going to the paint oven at the body shop. Wasn't thrilled to find half a gallon of water in the trunk after a storm, so I'm psyched to get these done!

Cope is offline   Reply With Quote