follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
brzest

Drives: '15 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
XP8's done after 2 trackdays, should I upgrade?

Hi,

Recently got a set of XP8's for front and rear. The fronts were slightly used (15.2 mm left / 16.8 when new), but overhauled by Carbotech Europe, whom I bought them from, so looked like new.

I've done about 135 laps (2 mile lap) on my local circuit, of which probably 80-90 are 'fast' laps, rest are warmup/cooling laps. Also maybe 2000 road miles, mainly just commuting.
Here's a video of one of my laps, to get an idea of the track/braking:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiamwoLSXg8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiamwoLSXg8[/ame]

Now I consider myself a novice driver, so thought the pads would last a bit, but checking them today, I saw the fronts were completely worn. The left side was almost to the metal, the pads on the right front had a bit more left. Rears are like new.
Here's a few pics:

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  131.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0284.JPG
Views: 521
Size:  107.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0285.JPG
Views: 507
Size:  99.9 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 529
Size:  122.1 KB

What could I do to make them last longer? Ducting? Or just run XP10's or even XP12's? Is this even normal wear?

To clarify 100% of the laps are with pedaldance and tires are OEM Primacy HP's.

@CSG Mike / @CSG David any recomendations? Will be getting new sets from you guys hopefully (e-mailed you about local pickup), but which ones...

Thanks for any help!
brzest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
eek.. I just bought a set of these for my other car... Been running XP10's on all 4 corners of the BRZ, and I'd say I have more laps on them than you have from the 8's.. and still lots left.

For the price I hope the 8's will last me... now a little concerned..
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
frssfo

Drives: 2015 FR-S
FWIW My XP10s have served me probably 10 track days so far and I reckon I have a few left in them.
frssfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,180 Times in 6,836 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
You are glazing those pads. YOU absolutely need to upgrade!

If you only use these for track duty, I'd rather have you go straight to XP12, to make sure you have enough pad.

Also, make sure you're not using ABS; your video sounds like you are heavily relying on ABS. ABS will heat your brakes up much faster than threshold braking.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
brzest (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 01:15 AM   #5
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You'll quickly realize an ap bbk has lower consumables cost than oem brakes. I've almost paid for mine in brake pad, rotor and......caliper savings. If you go that route csg will probably recomend winmax pads. And whoa. Impressed.
CSG Mike (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 01:37 AM   #6
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
You'll quickly realize an ap bbk has lower consumables cost than oem brakes. I've almost paid for mine in brake pad, rotor and......caliper savings. If you go that route csg will probably recomend winmax pads. And whoa. Impressed.
We recommend whatever pad best pairs with each driver's preferences (and needs); sometimes it's Winmax, and sometimes it's a different brand.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:48 AM   #7
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Just wanted to mention it because I had no idea who they were until you recommended them to me. I thought I knew all the good pads. I was wrong.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:05 AM   #8
brzest

Thanks for the replies! I'm not really set on Carbotech's, if there are better options, I'm open to anything.
Are XP12's streetable enough to drive to/from track? In my case it's about 80 miles, mostly highway driving, to my 'home' track.
I'll be on vacation in the US for 3 weeks soon, so hope to fill my luggage with as many sets of pads I can get away with.
Locally I can only get CL's at a reasonable price (and Ferodo's - not sure how good they are?). Where would RC6 / RC6e or DS3000 fit in with the Carbotech line?
The XP8's cost me about €500 front/rear from Carbotech Europe (that's with slightly used front set - new would have been €600ish) - $572 at current rates, which is the reason I plan to fill my suitcase, when I'm in the US

Will look into treshold braking @CSG Mike.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:15 AM   #9
brzest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
The problem with the Essex AP Sprint kit, is that I'd have to swap brakes twice a year, because we have upto 5 months of snow (=salt) a year, which they can't withstand, from what I understand. Not out of the question, but it makes things more difficult.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:21 AM   #10
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzest View Post
Thanks for the replies! I'm not really set on Carbotech's, if there are better options, I'm open to anything.
Are XP12's streetable enough to drive to/from track? In my case it's about 80 miles, mostly highway driving, to my 'home' track.
I'll be on vacation in the US for 3 weeks soon, so hope to fill my luggage with as many sets of pads I can get away with.
Locally I can only get CL's at a reasonable price (and Ferodo's - not sure how good they are?). Where would RC6 / RC6e or DS3000 fit in with the Carbotech line?
The XP8's cost me about €500 front/rear from Carbotech Europe (that's with slightly used front set - new would have been €600ish) - $572 at current rates, which is the reason I plan to fill my suitcase, when I'm in the US

Will look into treshold braking @CSG Mike.
Let us know when you're ready, and we'll have a chat.

Maybe you should try taking several different sets of pads back with you, so you can develop your own preferences further!

You'll definintely be better off taking pads with you; the exchange rate is favorable to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
brzest (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #11
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
@brzest what kind of tires have you been using? It looks like you can definitely consider using more aggressive pads, FYI, XP12s were really good when it comes to sound levels and brake modulation but did fade in my experience and they didn't last long..

I would definitely consider Raybestos ST43s (assuming you have aggressive tires not some street tires) and they're the only Race pads that can also be used at street due to it's operating range ..they're also less harsher on the rotors unlike other race pads.. I would still keep a separate pad/rotor set for summer/track use and winter, mixing the compounds on the rotor is not ideal since they bound together
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
brzest (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #12
brzest

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
@brzest what kind of tires have you been using? It looks like you can definitely consider using more aggressive pads, FYI, XP12s were really good when it comes to sound levels and brake modulation but did fade in my experience and they didn't last long..

I would definitely consider Raybestos ST43s (assuming you have aggressive tires not some street tires) and they're the only Race pads that can also be used at street due to it's operating range ..they're also less harsher on the rotors unlike other race pads.. I would still keep a separate pad/rotor set for summer/track use and winter, mixing the compounds on the rotor is not ideal since they bound together
Stock Primacy's for now. Thinking of something better for next season maybe.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:10 AM   #13
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzest View Post
Stock Primacy's for now. Thinking of something better for next season maybe.
I have no experience with stock tires but ST43s might be a bit more aggressive for them, if I were you I would upgrade them with at least RS3, Direzza ZII or equivalent tires so that you would be able to match with some good pads that will last you longer, it would possibly lower your consumable costs fairly quickly..each his own of course
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #14
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
FYI,, I used the carbotech XP12, they are great but they do wear pretty fast, my pads lasted 3 events. I tried to stretch them to a 4th event and then my rotor warped.

carbotech are great but longevity is a problem, changing rotors to aftermarket may help you a bit, but personally I just went with the big brake kit solution, we'll see if that helps on consumable.