follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Advice for future buyer in Sac area

So im planning on getting an FR-S in the next couple months but im starting my research now. My first one is if there is a dealership anyone can recommend me in Nor Cal that can get me the best deal? Im in the Sacramento area.

Also what isurance did you go with? Im 21 with 1 prior accident thats fallen off and no tickets.

Last but not least what im looking for is a MT Whiteout FR-S that hasnt been test driven. Preferably straight off the truck with the plastics still on. Also debating on the paint protection package or something like it if theres a better alternative. Am I gonna be able to find this or can I order it through the dealership? I dont mind waiting on a brand new on as im pretty adamant on the not test driven portion.

Thanks and if theres any other info that might be of use to beforw I head in to get what I want please feel free to share. This will be my first ever car purchase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
a_decoy

Drives: Evo X
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Try Hanlees in Davis? Last time I went there they were willing to deal. Nearly got it but at the last minute I elected to switch over to the BRZ.

From experience, paint protection... a clear bra could do wonders if you're that concerned with paint chips. Other than a clear bra, from my experience, it's not that big a deal if you keep it clean and give it a good coat of wax.
a_decoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
A lot of people are using opti-coat, if you read up on that. It is kind of like a very long term wax. I opted to get paint protection the dealer offered. The name slips my mind right now (resist-all I think) but from what I read online it helps stop paint fade. I plan to keep the car for a while and I drive a lot so chips will happen, but I would like to prevent the fading so it was worth it for me.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
ZC6BRZ
Wannabe JDM Type S

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If you're open to a BRZ, Lithia Reno sells them for 500 under MSRP and mine had all the plastic still on it, 6 miles.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
If you want the plastic on tell them in advance to not do any prep or removal of things like that. Never hurts to get it in writing.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yuba City Scion has 2 : http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/17/g...l-on-the-list/

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
BunnyRZed

Drives: BRZ Limited [37J]
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
If you are getting a Scion then any dealer should do because their price is pretty much fixed. If you are open to the BRZ do not go to Elk Grove Subaru they have ridiculous markup. I picked up my BRZ Limited from Gold Rush Subaru in Auburn because they are selling it at MSRP. I believe Miata Subaru is also starting to sell at MSRP. Just look for cars avail in the area on cars.com
BunnyRZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyRZed View Post
If you are getting a Scion then any dealer should do because their price is pretty much fixed.
Not true at all, I ordered a car and it showed up with $1,500 worth of options, I was pissed.

California is the worst place to buy because of the demand, most dealers seem receptive to taking a $500 deposit and getting the car you want, be very explicit and get it in writing, all the options you want and the total price of the car, have a printout ready, they'll try to round up on you. In addition to what others have said I saw the dealer in Lodi had a couple listed at a reasonable price (either on MSRP or less than $200 over, not like the ones in the bay with $10k+ add ons), I have no idea about how good they are, just something I noticed and it's close to you.

Look up cars.com and you'll see what dealers are trying to squeeze every penny out every car they can get their hands on.

Edit: that $500 should go towards your deposit and should be completely refundable for any reason.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
BunnyRZed

Drives: BRZ Limited [37J]
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Not true at all, I ordered a car and it showed up with $1,500 worth of options, I was pissed.
I think you misunderstood when i said they are pretty much the same I meant that the price is set and you cannot negotiate because of Scion's pure price policy. Whereas Subaru you can still negotiate and each dealer has their own pricing. It's your responsibility to specify that you do not want any options installed if you are going with Scion. I too had this issue and therefore I went with the BRZ instead of the FRS. They had installed a bunch of crap that raised the price to BRZ level and at that point you're better off getting the BRZ.
BunnyRZed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BunnyRZed For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-21-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Thanks for the help all, im in Yuba City so im gonna head over there and talk to the salesman, they have a silver one right now but Im dead set on whiteout and as stated it has all the options so its just as much a BRZ. Im pretty dead set on a scion if I can find one that isnt marked up. If not ill probably just swing for the BRZ since it comes with the fogs. I really want the fogs lol

Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
Thanks for the help all, im in Yuba City so im gonna head over there and talk to the salesman, they have a silver one right now but Im dead set on whiteout and as stated it has all the options so its just as much a BRZ. Im pretty dead set on a scion if I can find one that isnt marked up. If not ill probably just swing for the BRZ since it comes with the fogs. I really want the fogs lol

I'm in Yuba City too. I parked next to a whiteout at the mall last week. There is also an Argento running around. Another Argento was sold back to the dealer, then sold again.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
I'm in Yuba City too. I parked next to a whiteout at the mall last week. There is also an Argento running around. Another Argento was sold back to the dealer, then sold again.
Sweet we'll have to get together when I buy mine. I just got back from a test drive at the toyota deslership. I gotta say the car is amazing but I was very disappointed in the dealership. They were somewhat rude and not as helpful or friendly as im used to. They also told me they could not order a car from the factory and told me "good luck finding the one you want you may have to change your mind on the color." I test drove the only MT one and it was great but first and second grinded and made it hard to get into those gears plus there were two big scratches on the back that I could feel.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
mkiisupra

Drives: 83 Toyota Supra, 16 FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
They were somewhat rude and not as helpful or friendly as im used to. They also told me they could not order a car from the factory and told me "good luck finding the one you want you may have to change your mind on the color."
Hold out for your color, I did. I heard the same thing, which really translates to: "GAWD, another picky FR-S buyer. If I had more of these things on the lot, I could sell them all day long." Its out there, just wait. And call around, I drove 7 hours to go get mine.

I think that the Hot Lava that Piercy has/had is still there (due to markup/add-ons). Another dealership suggested I call them to beg to get the car before the add-ons, but I won't beg someone to sell me something who thinks that they can get more money for it. I have 2100 miles on my car and the Pricey Toyota 5axis/TRD dolled-up car is still on the lot...

Eric G
mkiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mkiisupra For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Find a dealer willing to get you what you want, make it very clear that you don't mind waiting, that seems to let them ease off a bit.

Damn salesman want sales TODAY, they don't usually deal with people who are adamant on waiting for what they order. Also means they can't throw on crappy stickers for mark-ups.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote