follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
The trade in value was at 0 at the toyota dealership because they felt that the car had no value... it is by no means a good car at all, but it is still drivable and I think I could at least get a grand for it... Hyundai offered 900 for the trade in comparison btw.

Secondly, as my parents are helping me pay for this car, they would prefer for me to have an automatic transmission to avoid any potential problems on such a high priced car for my age.
I would private sell it. Any running car is worth $1000-$1500 on the open market.

Reminds me of the time I traded a 1999 Chevy Astro with 250,000+ miles in on a (slightly used/new) one. The '99 looked OK outside, but the inside had the Arabian tent saggy look going, and the upholstery looked like it had been through 10 years of car seats, baseball and hockey teams (because it had). The dealer said "We'll give you $1,750 in trade". I laughed and said I would pretend I believed he was giving it to me as a trade in value if it made him feel better.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
projekkt

Drives: 15 wrb brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Can't you get a new BRZ premium for that price with some negotiation? Might be something to consider.
Just as an fyi, the 2015 MY premium is manual only. The '14s should still have the automatic premium. I guess subaru wants to push people towards the limited model.
projekkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #17
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by projekkt View Post
If buying manual equates to "avoiding" any potential problems on a "high" priced car, my impression is that this purchase is gonna put financial strain on you. [Especially when its considered an affordable car] As such, I'm gonna play devils advocate and say you should probably look more milder car. reasons below:

-more maintenance versus a toyota/honda
-insurance premiums
-limited cargo flexibility vs a sedan or cuv
-the RWD risk
-snow tires in the winter
-potential ticket magnet
-if you want more iI'm sure the members here can think of more reasons

As someone who does personal finance for friends, I was wanted to put it out there that you should really consider the impact of getting this car especially if its financially straining. Also consider how important traveling the world is to you as well. But if you've considered all of the above and still are set on buying this car, good luck shopping!

As spoiled as this is going to sound, I'm only covering the down payment (around 8k) and my parents are making the payments. As I will only have to worry about maintenance/insurance I should have no problems actually owning the car.

The transmission issue is that since I've driven an automatic car for what little time I've been driving (22 yrs old, so about 6 years) the folks feel that a response would not be immediate and second-nature in the case of a catastrophe.

As for selling privately, I have been considering that as an option and will have to see what I can do...

Lastly, the budget is 25k with little wiggle room, so paying 28k for a BRZ is out of question haha. I WISH!
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #18
spicyricecake

oh and no winter worries for me... I live in the panhandle
Old 10-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #19
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
Why did they value your trade in at Zero?!
Trade-in value needs to be worth something on the used car wholesale market, so one dealer can sell to another. If it's below a certain threshold (~$1500-2000), the dealer won't even bother to make an offer.

At that point, it's easier to just sell it private party, or donate it to claim tax benefits.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ok thanks a lot.

So does anyone see that the Tallahassee dealership is full of **** on their prices? or is that just me?
If they are selling well around there they will cost more.
Supply and demand is king when it comes to pricing!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #21
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Lastly, the budget is 25k with little wiggle room, so paying 28k for a BRZ is out of question haha. I WISH!
Keep in mind Subaru allows you to substantially negotiate off MSRP (unlike Scion). There are stories of members getting their BRZ's for under $25k.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #22
spicyricecake

Quote:
Keep in mind Subaru allows you to substantially negotiate off MSRP (unlike Scion). There are stories of members getting their BRZ's for under $25k.
Now that I did not know!

I would love to have the BRZ at 25k... :3

What would be the best way to search for the success stories you are referring to?
Old 10-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #23
RoadKillGrill

Drives: FR-S 10 Series M/T
Quote:
if I can't meet this budget, I'll be getting a genesis 2.0t instead. Is there anyone who can give me an unbiased opinion on this car in comparison to the FR-S?
Unbiased... no I cant admit that (this is an 86 forum everyone is going to be biased :p)

But overall the FR-S was a more fun car to drive. The shifting felt better, better steering, nice seats.

I test drove the 3.8 R-Spec not the 2.0T. The Genesis looks great on raw specs, it has the horsepower, FULL back seats for human beings!! Its got the features but I had no where near as much fun test driving it as the FR-S. The gauge cluster in the center looks like cheap plastic. The seats bothered me after the test drive too, the weren't comfortable.

Keep in mind i only have a test drive of experience on the Gen coupe and 6+ months of ownership of the FR-S.

I got a good deal on on a FR-S 10 series. All the comforts of the BRZ and the looks of the 86 and in a color I like.
RoadKillGrill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadKillGrill For This Useful Post:
abraxis (10-08-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #24
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Now that I did not know!

I would love to have the BRZ at 25k... :3

What would be the best way to search for the success stories you are referring to?
Yeah I tried to search a little but couldn't find it. If you go onto TrueCar and look up the BRZ Premium and click on national pricing, they show that out of 820 people reporting 2014 BRZ purchases:

- 12 people bought the car for $24.9k - 25.1k
- 23 people bought the car for $25.1k - $25.3k
- 36 people bought the car for $25.3k - $25.5k
- 36 people bought the car for $25.5k - $25.7k
- 53 people bought the car for $25.7k - $25.9k

And so on. I suspect many of these may be manual purchases though, so you may need to add the cost of an automatic in there.

Try looking here:
https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/subaru/brz-pricing/

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #25
spicyricecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKillGrill View Post
Unbiased... no I cant admit that (this is an 86 forum everyone is going to be biased :p)

But overall the FR-S was a more fun car to drive. The shifting felt better, better steering, nice seats.

I test drove the 3.8 R-Spec not the 2.0T. The Genesis looks great on raw specs, it has the horsepower, FULL back seats for human beings!! Its got the features but I had no where near as much fun test driving it as the FR-S. The gauge cluster in the center looks like cheap plastic. The seats bothered me after the test drive too, the weren't comfortable.

Keep in mind i only have a test drive of experience on the Gen coupe and 6+ months of ownership of the FR-S.

I got a good deal on on a FR-S 10 series. All the comforts of the BRZ and the looks of the 86 and in a color I like.

That's pretty much how I felt about the 2.0t. It was ok driving, the interior was superb, but just not quite there for me.

the FR-S on the other hand really made me excited when I test drove it. Plus the FR-S' exterior looks better in my opinion.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #26
spicyricecake

Quote:
Yeah I tried to search a little but couldn't find it. If you go onto TrueCar and look up the BRZ Premium and click on national pricing, they show that out of 820 people reporting 2014 BRZ purchases:

- 12 people bought the car for $24.9k - 25.1k
- 23 people bought the car for $25.1k - $25.3k
- 36 people bought the car for $25.3k - $25.5k
- 36 people bought the car for $25.5k - $25.7k
- 53 people bought the car for $25.7k - $25.9k

And so on. I suspect many of these may be manual purchases though, so you may need to add the cost of an automatic in there.

Try looking here:
https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/subaru/brz-pricing/

Wow, those are not bad prices at all... but the automatic price ends up being 28800.
Now, If i were to pay 29k for a car I'd get the higher trimmed BRZ, but that's not the case so :3

25k FR-S, is it really not possible?

How strong of a buying power is the certificate from Truecar.com?
I wouldn't mind paying the average price people pay there.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #27
projekkt

Quote:
Wow, those are not bad prices at all... but the automatic price ends up being 28800.
Now, If i were to pay 29k for a car I'd get the higher trimmed BRZ, but that's not the case so :3

25k FR-S, is it really not possible?

How strong of a buying power is the certificate from Truecar.com?
I wouldn't mind paying the average price people pay there.
It all depends on leverage and volume. Dealers get bonuses based on their monthly sales. Toyota dealers near metropolitan areas can be notorious in cutting into the invoice pricing if they can hit the higher bonus brackets.

If you have multiple dealers in the area. A typical strategy is to put the dealers against each other. However this is a bit of a niche car. I got my brz simply by walking into the dealership and telling them what I was willing to pay and for the most part it was close. I did order my car though so the wait is brutal. Manual and in the lower quarter of truecar.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #28
projekkt

Don't forget scion has a college grad and military discount if you qualify