follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
arsen89

Drives: Prius
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RearDrive View Post
So to sum it up, if your worried about extra costs of the vehicle and your not in the best financial situation go for the frs. If you have deep pockets and don't mind the expensive maintanance and repairs go for the m3. Because (even though I haven't driven either) they are both great drivers car but the m3 is on another level performance wise due to the extra power and still handles great.
That does seem to be the verdict. I would not say I have extra deep pockets but I feel comfortable financially so that is why I considered the M3. The good thing is that if the M3 does end up being too much, yes I must agree with you they are both great drivers cars so that wont be spoiled. I really want to test drive the FRS but with everybody pre-ordering and being understandingly picky about test drives I dont think thats going to happen anytime soon.
arsen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
arsen89

Thanks for the quick replies and honest opinions from everybody. Have to say fastest I've gotten than in other forums. You guys might end up convencing on the FRS just from the community. Thanks! :happy0180:
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It's a slow day at work for me today, haha. Plus I can only re-watch the Mayweather-Cotto fight on YouTube so many times before it gets old.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
arsen89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Not that they're not expensive to maintain, but those kinds of brake jobs are likely the more elaborate ones that don't need to happen every time. That's probably for new pads, rotors, fluid, etc. But still, that sounds a little steep to me, even for an M3.

I know oil changes are easy to do, but if they're getting done for free, then why not. It's one less hassle for you, plus you don't have to buy the stuff (whereas even doing the work yourself on an M3 would still require you to buy eight quarts of synthetic oil, a new filter, etc., all of which would probably cost you more than $50 each time) or get your hands dirty (which I know you said you aren't worried about). But it's convenient since they'll also rotate your tires and wash your car.

Yeah, I was just going to say that, as most of the complaints about the boxer engines are with the STIs, which have lean tunes that ping, plus I've heard about issues with their rings. But also, remember that AWD commonly associated with Subaru and their boxer engines adds weight and more load just to keep four wheels turning, which obviously robs the car of a few mpg here and there.

I love power and speed just like the next person, but it's hard to truly utilize (in anything other than a straight line) the 333 hp of an M3. Hell, I don't even really fully utilize the stock 286 hp in my Evo (at least not frequently enough), and chances are, neither do most owners, even though everyone is quick to slap on a turboback exhaust and re-tune the ECU. I'm sure that I'd get antsy with "only" 200 hp, but that's just because I've always had a lot more than that for almost ten years. And who knows, maybe it will feel legit since it's as light as it is. But being older now, considering fuel efficiency and appreciating handling capabilities rather than overrating straightline acceleration, the FR-S/BRZ will never be crossed off the list and brushed aside, even with 200 hp.
Pretty slow at work then lol. Its cool man, Im here just also at work and with my important finals out of the way and the last one being a joke, I find myself with little to do.

You make really good points though. Yeah I never was the one to bash the FRS on the power. Its a drivers car, not a drag racer and well I think the M3 falls under the same category. It looks like the Scion is simply the easiest and hassle free way to do things. True it would be much easier to just pass it over to the guys to do the oil change, plus at the dealership that I would go to, they have lifetime oil changes, so thats nice.

Yeah I guess the main thing with M3 is that there is a special place in my heart for those things. That is why I wanted opinions before I make a purchase in impulse lol. I think I just have to see this FRS in person and drive it.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
Post similar on a BMW forum and see what current owners say.

While there is a good deal of truth to running cost differences, according to this forum EVERYTHING has higher running costs than a FRS/BRZ. It runs on rain water, uses discarded orange peels for tyres, and eraser heads for brakes, so it is hard to beat that
Quote of the day...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
devinclfalcons

Drives: Evo X MR
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am about to graduate and start working my new job in August. I plan on getting a used E92 M3. My budget is a bit higher I am looking at spending ~35k. I'd rather live life now than wait until I am too old to enjoy driving
devinclfalcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #21
arsen89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Quote of the day...
haha agreed.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #22
arsen89

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinclfalcons View Post
I am about to graduate and start working my new job in August. I plan on getting a used E92 M3. My budget is a bit higher I am looking at spending ~35k. I'd rather live life now than wait until I am too old to enjoy driving
That's great! Congrats on the job , Im guessing you are probably looking at the sedan? Have not seen any coupes for 35k but if you do find one post your findings for sure! I would spend a little more, but well I really want to find a nice pad first.

One thing is for sure, can't wait to graduate, I know that whichever way I go (FRS or M3) they are gonna fun to toss around a twisty road
Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
devinclfalcons

Drives: Evo X MR
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsen89 View Post
That's great! Congrats on the job , Im guessing you are probably looking at the sedan? Have not seen any coupes for 35k but if you do find one post your findings for sure! I would spend a little more, but well I really want to find a nice pad first.

One thing is for sure, can't wait to graduate, I know that whichever way I go (FRS or M3) they are gonna fun to toss around a twisty road
I'm actually looking at the Coupe. I won't be buying until later this fall so I'm hoping the prices come down a bit by then...

Do you happen to go to school at UT? I am graduating from A&M this week
devinclfalcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #24
Droopy
FWES racer, R FT drifter

Drives: BMW, Chevy, Soon to be FR-S
I dont own a M3, but I own a E46 323i sedan, mine has about 200k miles on it, and its showing BIG time. When I bought it, she ran smooth had a little hiccup because of a spark plug bad. But anyways, mainteniance is high for a BMW, its gonna cost me $500 for a new fuel pump, brakes(rotor/pads) for one corner cost me about $150(if i remember correctly), went through about $600 just in 2 sets of bushings for the front sway bar, bought a new reservoir another $150 there(common promblem in E46 3 series). All of this just within 2 yrs of owning the car, BTW this is me doing all the work too
Droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #25
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
do you have a job? if not, you probably shouldnt be taking on 30k in debt. really, even if you do, you probably shouldnt be taking on 30k in debt. the if the prius works you dont need a car. if you want a toy i would look into a used miata as its irresponsible to have a toy costing that much
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #26
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
He won't have $30k in debt, he said he has the money saved up and budgeted for a car, and a little extra for maintenance and such.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #27
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
He won't have $30k in debt, he said he has the money saved up and budgeted for a car, and a little extra for maintenance and such.
oh well i guess for the first time i was wrong in assuming that every thing since the op was off topic on ft86club. however, if you have 30k i would advise buying an asset instead of a liability. put your money to work and buy a car when you have more stability in your professional life
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #28
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinclfalcons View Post
I'm actually looking at the Coupe. I won't be buying until later this fall so I'm hoping the prices come down a bit by then...

Do you happen to go to school at UT? I am graduating from A&M this week
Where are you finding E92 M3s for $35k? Or are you talking about the higher mileage/salvage ones?

OT
I'm actually cross-shopping these cars as well, BRZ/FR-S and the E46 M3. And right now it's so close that I'm going with a "whichever comes first" approach

And if the BRZ/FR-S had just a bit more power (250-300) it would be the only car on my short list right now. But I see the BRZ/FR-S as more of a clean canvas, like how the modern muscle cars are. They could use some improvement, and almost all the owners do just that - some do interior mods for more luxury, some add more power, or suspension work, basically they customize the car to get rid of the shortcomings the car has (for them). If/when I get my BRZ/FR-S, first thing I'm going to do is lower it (that horrible wheel gap is 4x4 territory), possibly get better brakes, and then add power. And go from there.

What I love about the M3 is that it's basically the complete package: looks, power, handling, luxury, sound, utility, aftermarket support, delicious 8000 rpm redline. And IMO that's what the Germans do best, most of the cars that go for OEM+ that I like are German cars: Z4M, E46 M3, 996/997, etc. You don't really have to do much customization for improvement because the E46 M3 is basically perfect as it is, you just have to keep it running. Not to mention it's the first RWD car I fell in love with when I "drove" it in NFS Most Wanted lol.

Compared to the BRZ/FR-S yes it is quite a bit heavier, but then again back when the BRZ didn't have my attention, I was looking at the new Mustang 5.0, Camaro SS, Evo, and a couple of other cars. The E46 M3 was one of the lightest on that list, and those were already great performing cars with more power.

This is all just IMO though.

Also keep in mind that 26k is plenty for a great condition M3, i.e. one where you won't have to worry about the really heavy maintenance for at least a year. (Fact, not just IMO)

Tags
bmw m3, buy, e46, frs