follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Crashed my '05 tC, picking up Firestorm FR-S Friday!

Long time Scion owner, but first time joining here thanks to my new FR-S purchase. I've had my tC RS1 for nearly 8 years and had the misfortune of an accident about two weeks ago now. Going around a freeway transition ramp in the rain, I hit a pocket of water that kicked the back end loose. I tried to correct and steer into it, but the tires slid onto the grass. I don't know if anyone has driven on wet grass before, but as soon as you touch it, you're off. It's not the first time I slid on wet grass before, but this was a perfect storm for disaster. Rather than flat ground, the grass embankment was about angled down about 20-30º. When the car started to slow, the wheels dug into the mud and flipped it 180º onto the roof where it slid maybe another 10ft and stopped. The whole process was relatively slow and the speeds were around 40-45mph.

I was mostly calm through the whole endeavor. All I was thinking was I'd have to have a tow truck pull me out of the mud and I'd be late to work. On flat ground, the worst thing that could happen would be hitting a pole, curb, post, guard rail, or just getting stuck in mud. It wasn't until I was about 90º sideways that I realized it was rolling and braced myself. I've been weight lifting on a strict regiment for over two years and instinctively put my body in the most stiff and secure posture, tight core, neck, shoulders, etc. The EMT said that alone could have saved me from a lot of injury. I walked away from this without a scratch on me. I had a small bruise on my right leg and a small scrape on my left hand, but I think the bruise was from climbing out, and the scratch was from sifting through the wreck to get personal items out of the car.

Been driving for more than 12 years and I consider myself a fairly skilled driver, but accidents can happen to anyone. I am really sad that I lost my RS1 though; like I said, I've had that car 8 years and had no intention of giving it up any time soon. I am truly thankful to have come out of that unharmed though, and seeing the condition of the car really solidified my view on Scion and the safety standards of their cars (at least the tC).

I've been a big fan of the FR-S since I first heard about it nearly two years ago. Was on the waiting list to get one since March of 2012, but bought a condo in the middle of last year and a new car wasn't in my finances. I've been in contact with my particular salesman at the local dealer ever since though, and we both knew it was just a matter of time for getting one.

Well this event had made the choice for me! Lucky enough, I got a good claim check from insurance, and combined with my tax return put nearly half the value down for a new FR-S. It's being processed at the docks in Long Beach today, and should be down in San Diego for pickup by tomorrow or Friday. I can't wait!

cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cfusionpm For This Useful Post:
wu_dot_com (02-21-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Damn that sucks , sorry for you loss.
But on the bright side your ok, and have an frs now
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
glad to hear you're safe. i had an 05 tc as well and i always wanted the RS1 bits, esp the grill and the red paint. i hated how toyota had to charge up the ass for those parts separately.

also that pic of the tow truck hauling the car upside down. thats a hilarious pic.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa View Post
glad to hear you're safe. i had an 05 tc as well and i always wanted the RS1 bits, esp the grill and the red paint. i hated how toyota had to charge up the ass for those parts separately.

also that pic of the tow truck hauling the car upside down. thats a hilarious pic.
I loved it. I'd still be driving it if it wasn't upside down! Had the TRD exhasut, intake, short shifter, and lowering springs. 12" JLW3 with Alpine amp. Was a really great little car. Took me traveling to 5 different dealers to find an RS1 (got it in early June). The specialness wasn't that big of a deal, I just love red and have to have red cars. :P

Ironically enough, I probably got more from insurance than I could have selling it private party! Granted, I've never made a claim in my driving career and had a spotless record. REALLY looking forward to the FR-S! Hopefully that TSC and VSC will help me a little more in the wetter conditions.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa View Post
I LOL'd!

Glad you're okay fusion--enjoy the new ride & welcome.
* '09 Nissan GT-R--gone, but not forgotten... 10.63 @ 131+ on streeties.
* '90 ZR-1 11.0 @ 130.2 & 11.2 @ 132.4 sprayed 120 shot.
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Why the hell didn't the tow truck drive flip the car back over before putting it on the flat bed?!?! Looks SO DANGEROUS!

Glad you're ok and congrats on the FR-S!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
trinitron

Drives: gts 86
Wow awesome you got out unharmed!
trinitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Good to hear your okay.

But the real question is, is the FRS really safer then the tC?
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
shawnperolis

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT "Panda"
That's a ridiculous crash, glad you're okay. And glad you're getting an FR-S! =)
shawnperolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
If you have issues with the back end coming out on you with FWD...the FRS might only exacerbate the issue
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Calidrifter (02-21-2013), CallmeDave (02-21-2013), IntotheOcean (02-21-2013), LeeMaster (02-21-2013), WillBRZ (02-22-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
Long time Scion owner, but first time joining here thanks to my new FR-S purchase. I've had my tC RS1 for nearly 8 years and had the misfortune of an accident about two weeks ago now. Going around a freeway transition ramp in the rain, I hit a pocket of water that kicked the back end loose. I tried to correct and steer into it, but the tires slid onto the grass. I don't know if anyone has driven on wet grass before, but as soon as you touch it, you're off. It's not the first time I slid on wet grass before, but this was a perfect storm for disaster. Rather than flat ground, the grass embankment was about angled down about 20-30º. When the car started to slow, the wheels dug into the mud and flipped it 180º onto the roof where it slid maybe another 10ft and stopped. The whole process was relatively slow and the speeds were around 40-45mph.

I was mostly calm through the whole endeavor. All I was thinking was I'd have to have a tow truck pull me out of the mud and I'd be late to work. On flat ground, the worst thing that could happen would be hitting a pole, curb, post, guard rail, or just getting stuck in mud. It wasn't until I was about 90º sideways that I realized it was rolling and braced myself. I've been weight lifting on a strict regiment for over two years and instinctively put my body in the most stiff and secure posture, tight core, neck, shoulders, etc. The EMT said that alone could have saved me from a lot of injury. I walked away from this without a scratch on me. I had a small bruise on my right leg and a small scrape on my left hand, but I think the bruise was from climbing out, and the scratch was from sifting through the wreck to get personal items out of the car.

Been driving for more than 12 years and I consider myself a fairly skilled driver, but accidents can happen to anyone. I am really sad that I lost my RS1 though; like I said, I've had that car 8 years and had no intention of giving it up any time soon. I am truly thankful to have come out of that unharmed though, and seeing the condition of the car really solidified my view on Scion and the safety standards of their cars (at least the tC).

I've been a big fan of the FR-S since I first heard about it nearly two years ago. Was on the waiting list to get one since March of 2012, but bought a condo in the middle of last year and a new car wasn't in my finances. I've been in contact with my particular salesman at the local dealer ever since though, and we both knew it was just a matter of time for getting one.

Well this event had made the choice for me! Lucky enough, I got a good claim check from insurance, and combined with my tax return put nearly half the value down for a new FR-S. It's being processed at the docks in Long Beach today, and should be down in San Diego for pickup by tomorrow or Friday. I can't wait!
how many times have you driven off the road as a fairly skilled driver? on a more serious note, bracing yourself is bad for accidents. that emt was either lying to you or he is an idiot. the additional strain of your body against the forces (that are beyond combatable from the strongest of human beings) would only cause additional damage. its they reason why its always the drunk driver who survives and the innocent party who is injured.

either way, errr, congrats? sorry? i hope your new frs treats you right.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
fistpoint (04-01-2013), Justin91M (02-21-2013), karbon (02-23-2013), lavisxice (02-23-2013), SpeedR (04-03-2013), WillBRZ (02-22-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Why the hell didn't the tow truck drive flip the car back over before putting it on the flat bed?!?! Looks SO DANGEROUS!

Glad you're ok and congrats on the FR-S!
Guy said it was just easier, faster, and safer to do it at the tow yard. We were on the edge of a freeway (that road 3 feet from my back end is the San Diego 53 East). Seeing the flip process afterwards (blocks on wheels, wench from around the side) I could see how it might not have been a good idea there! Plus, figuring it was already totaled anyway, he thought it was simpler to just drag it up as is. Luckily they made me wait in the car and I chose not to turn and look....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
If you have issues with the back end coming out on you with FWD...the FRS might only exacerbate the issue
Was a combination of sweeping turn, wet roads, and tires on the end of their life cycle. I'm usually careful and drive that route every day to work. I don't accelerate or brake through the corner, just coast through after lifting gas maybe 3-400 yds before the curve. I guess I had too much momentum for the conditions that day. Can safely take it twice as fast when it's dry.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
how many times have you driven off the road as a fairly skilled driver? on a more serious note, bracing yourself is bad for accidents. that emt was either lying to you or he is an idiot. the additional strain of your body against the forces (that are beyond combatable from the strongest of human beings) would only cause additional damage. its they reason why its always the drunk driver who survives and the innocent party who is injured.

yeah and the frs is about 100x more tail happy in the wet especially on stock tires than a Tc

lol

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (02-21-2013), Laika (02-21-2013), LeeMaster (02-21-2013), WillBRZ (02-22-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post

This is true. Watch racecar drivers right before they hit a concrete wall at 180 MPH. They usually close their eyes, exhale, and relax. Tightening your body will only make a FAR worse.