follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Visconti Stg 1, and other bolt on mods

Hi guys,

I'm not 100% sure I want to boost my FR-S yet, but I think (in prep for track) I want to do some bolt on mods and get a tune.

I've noticed with the injen intake there's a gain of about 15whp, and some exhaust combos are showing as much as 20whp gains. However, from what I've heard Visconti say, there wasn't any gains with his tune and exhaust.

This is weird to me, because I'm new to modding cars, but I want to squeeze as much (affordable) juice out of this car as possible, esp. for autocrossing and track days (which I'm looking forward to). Not mentioning weight/suspension upgrades, what are some good mods to do that will result in real, measurable performance?

NOTE: I have an AT FR-S, if that matters.

Here's a list I'm thinking of doing to the car:

- Injen Intake: cheap, and shows 15whp gains
- Visconti STG1/Ecutek racerom
- Perrin lightweight pulley: cheap, with some better throttle response (maybe 0whp)
- Nameless (?) catback exhaust: I've heard it gets +15-20 whp. Question is, will this gain with Visconti's tune??

Any ideas would be helpful. I'm mainly looking for performance, and can care less about looks/sound (although I don't want an obnoxious car, and live in cali, so won't be swapping headers).
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
white devil
Go Gators!

Drives: FRS White-out "blown up"
Everything looks good but the Injen intake.........I'm running an FA20 intake with no problems (bogging with other intakes)....I've read a lot of people are doing drop-in filters and getting good results...I've got an auto as well
FA20 Turbo + HRI Tune + FA20 Flex fuel + FA20club intake + SRT headerback exhaust + FA20 headers + KW3's + Hotchkis front and rear sway bars + Cusco strut tower bar + Perrin oil cooler + Perrin pulley & brake stop thingy + GFB water & alternator pulleys + Crawford air/oil separator
white devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
WatchmaN

Drives: the girls crazy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you go with intake and exhaust, then go FA20club tune stage 2, Perrin pully is good, Nameless is perfect and I did'nt have any problem with my Injen intake
Vortech SC(314hp/226tq), Perrin pully, Tanabe strut tower bar, Perrin exhaust, LP Tune, hsd coilovers, DTC-60 fr, hp+rear),track rubber RS3 and Continental :-), Forester oem oil cooler,Custom brake cooling kit. Driveway lab rear diffuser, Wasp front spliter, TRD canard/fenders.
WatchmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Sonolin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by white devil View Post
Everything looks good but the Injen intake.........I'm running an FA20 intake with no problems (bogging with other intakes)....I've read a lot of people are doing drop-in filters and getting good results...I've got an auto as well
Yea, I've heard some problems with the Injen intake, but I'm considering it as from what I've read, with a tune it eliminates the bogging issues (but I could be wrong).

Also looking at other intakes/drop in filters, I've seen some great gains on some of the drop in filters - and their cheap, so that's a huge bonus.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Sonolin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchmaN View Post
If you go with intake and exhaust, then go FA20club tune stage 2, Perrin pully is good, Nameless is perfect and I did'nt have any problem with my Injen intake
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into FA20club tune.

Did you feel any gains from the tune, to the tune + nameless exhaust/intake?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
WatchmaN

Drives: the girls crazy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into FA20club tune.

Did you feel any gains from the tune, to the tune + nameless exhaust/intake?
You won't reconize your car after a tune, when I did mine I already had perrin pully and Injen Intake, my exhaust came afterward. Tune was my best buy.
Vortech SC(314hp/226tq), Perrin pully, Tanabe strut tower bar, Perrin exhaust, LP Tune, hsd coilovers, DTC-60 fr, hp+rear),track rubber RS3 and Continental :-), Forester oem oil cooler,Custom brake cooling kit. Driveway lab rear diffuser, Wasp front spliter, TRD canard/fenders.
WatchmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
white devil
Go Gators!

Drives: FRS White-out "blown up"
You'll feel it.......
FA20 Turbo + HRI Tune + FA20 Flex fuel + FA20club intake + SRT headerback exhaust + FA20 headers + KW3's + Hotchkis front and rear sway bars + Cusco strut tower bar + Perrin oil cooler + Perrin pulley & brake stop thingy + GFB water & alternator pulleys + Crawford air/oil separator
white devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
Sonolin
Banned

Thanks for the advice so far guys

Looked at the FA20club tune, and I'm very impressed. I like that they have a stg2 tune specifically for exhaust & intake mods

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...fa20club+stage

One thing I did like about Visconti tunes, is I believe he's working on a flex fuel tune. But if I went e85, I'd definitely want to upgrade fuel injectors, etc. to be on the safe side, so I'm not sure I'd really want that (not to mention its a PITA to find e85 here).
Old 02-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
Orthow
Banned

Drives: 99' SIR Kswapped Racer/Showcar
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Here's a list I'm thinking of doing to the car:

- Injen Intake: cheap, and shows 15whp gains
- Visconti STG1/Ecutek racerom
- Perrin lightweight pulley: cheap, with some better throttle response (maybe 0whp)
- Nameless (?) catback exhaust: I've heard it gets +15-20 whp. Question is, will this gain with Visconti's tune??
You are not going to see 30-40 whp with an intake and exhaust. You might see half that with a proper tune.
Orthow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Maybe look into the unichip also because it doesn't leave any trace of ECU flashing. You don't even flash the ECU with the unichip.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Intake/Header/Exhaust, then a tune. Then your car will really come alive.

FYI, the Injen intake does NOT gain that much horsepower. Read all the threads about it.

The Nameless system that did 15-20whp was their early prototype header with their 2.5" system. You will see higher gains with their new longtube header that hasn't been released yet. Be careful what you read and go through the threads in detail. Manufacturers can post anything about gains. Listen to the third party results and let them speak for themselves.

I love my Perrin intake over Injen because it's an actual true cold air intake that sits in the bumper, not the hood.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
Sonolin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthow
You are not going to see 30-40 whp with an intake and exhaust. You might see half that with a proper tune.
Yea, I figured. The post was more a combination of hope for higher numbers, and me just looking for advice and what others have done and their gains. Honestly, I'm more concerned in the faster "feel" not so much numbers (since I probably won't get it dynoed anyway), and what's a good combination for autocrossing & track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
Maybe look into the unichip also because it doesn't leave any trace of ECU flashing. You don't even flash the ECU with the unichip.
That's an interesting option. I was under the impression tunes can't be noticed once you reflash it to stock tuning. If so, this concerns me about the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt
Intake/Header/Exhaust, then a tune. Then your car will really come alive.

FYI, the Injen intake does NOT gain that much horsepower. Read all the threads about it.

The Nameless system that did 15-20whp was their early prototype header with their 2.5" system. You will see higher gains with their new longtube header that hasn't been released yet. Be careful what you read and go through the threads in detail. Manufacturers can post anything about gains. Listen to the third party results and let them speak for themselves.

I love my Perrin intake over Injen because it's an actual true cold air intake that sits in the bumper, not the hood.
Thanks for the advice. I try to take these gains with a grain of salt, and another reason for asking advice from people who've actually installed these systems.

I'm keeping an eye on a lot of Perrin stuff myself as well. I'll take a look more at their intake (liking the AFE intake from what I've read).
Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yea, I figured. The post was more a combination of hope for higher numbers, and me just looking for advice and what others have done and their gains. Honestly, I'm more concerned in the faster "feel" not so much numbers (since I probably won't get it dynoed anyway), and what's a good combination for autocrossing & track.

That's an interesting option. I was under the impression tunes can't be noticed once you reflash it to stock tuning. If so, this concerns me about the warranty.

Thanks for the advice. I try to take these gains with a grain of salt, and another reason for asking advice from people who've actually installed these systems.

I'm keeping an eye on a lot of Perrin stuff myself as well. I'll take a look more at their intake (liking the AFE intake from what I've read).
I have a used aFe oiled intake with only about 150 miles on it if you're interested.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28156

Only reason I'm not using it is because I've got my Perrin for where I live because it gets so hot.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote