follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Hankook winter iPike tires are pretty good and affordable. I'd say for a more severe winter you might want to stud them or get a different, more aggressive tire. These work well for light-mild winters. I had them on my car last winter and that was a horrible season. They did well, even in that horrible weather. I think they're labeled as a sport winter tire. To me, it feels like they handle just as well as the stock all-seasons as long as it's cold. They squirm above 50*, but winter tires.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #16
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviz View Post
Haha, yea that's actually what I'm worried about.

This is my 3rd winter with the car and i haven't gotten snow tires yet. Went through the last winters with all seasons and I drive almost a 100 miles a day for work. I've gotten used to controlling the car with those that I'm worried I'll get over confident with snow tires.
Well, you have to treat driving in snow entirely different. 35-40% wheelspin is necessary for maximum traction with snow tires on snow.
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #17
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have the Conti EWC and love them. So far I have very limited mileage in serious snow or ice conditions but enough to know that I trust them implicitly and the rest is up to me They are great on dry roads, quiet and predictable up to well above the speed limit around here, and phenomenal in the rain. The other thing I really like is that I have seen almost no difference in gas mileage which is unusual for a winter tire on dry pavement.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #18
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akari View Post
Well, you have to treat driving in snow entirely different. 35-40% wheelspin is necessary for maximum traction with snow tires on snow.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you clarify?
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #19
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you clarify?
Your highest level of traction, measured by acceleration force, is with your wheels spinning quite a bit. Most of us are trained to think that wheelspin is bad but with snow tires on snow you get the best traction with significant wheelspin. Take a look at some of TireRack's testing:

This is exactly why you turn off traction control when driving in snow, you need the ability to have wheelspin at times.
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #20
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Wheel spin helps to get moving. You don't have 40% wheelspin when you are cruising in snow unless you are ken block

Id leave it on or sport unless starting from a snow mound or going up a slow steep incline. But i drive an accord in snow it doesn't have traction control or vsc
Old 12-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #21
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Wheel spin helps to get moving. You don't have 40% wheelspin when you are cruising in snow unless you are ken block

Id leave it on or sport unless starting from a snow mound or going up a slow steep incline. But i drive an accord in snow it doesn't have traction control or vsc
This is EXACTLY the reason why a single press of the TCS OFF button turns it off just up until 31mph(50kph). It's to help the car start off in snow, and then automatically turn back on once the car is moving.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #22
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
This is EXACTLY the reason why a single press of the TCS OFF button turns it off just up until 31mph(50kph). It's to help the car start off in snow, and then automatically turn back on once the car is moving.
If you were cruising (35mph) on a highway with snow/slush on the ground, wouldn't it be easier to recover if the car begins to slide out with traction off?
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #23
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
If you were cruising (35mph) on a highway with snow/slush on the ground, wouldn't it be easier to recover if the car begins to slide out with traction off?
Kinda, but ultimately, no.

While having the computer fighting your inputs does make advance slide control techniques nigh impossible, it can still react much faster than any human can. Additionally, it has greater control over some aspects of the car than you do (individual brake control for one). The big problem is that in the situation where a car that's going along perfectly straight and fine suddenly begins to rotate, the car is often beyond simple driver intervention. Compounding this is the fact that it's never when the driver expects it to happen. Even a F1 driver can be caught out.

The best option is a combination of skilled driving and computer assist. A skilled driver will be aware of road conditions and can use techniques to minimize the possibility of a sudden and surprising loss of control. In the event that traction suddenly drops away, the computer can jump in fast to nudge the car back on-line before things get beyond the point of no return.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote