follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Arizona

User Tag List
JonMotoring

Old 02-14-2015, 12:31 AM   #28785
TwoFourFive

Drives: 13 HOT LAVA
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hood and trunk sold.
TwoFourFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #28786
R3NIK

Drives: 2013 FR-S/C
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1423953204612.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  88.6 KB
Fully installed. Broke an IM bolt so I have to get that extracted very soon. But it's fully drivable at low RPMs
Old 02-14-2015, 11:46 PM   #28787
Jouki

Drives: FR-S 10 Series #805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Aww no! I wanted that trunk haha dang back to the drawing table and still looking for a uel header if anyone ends up wanting to get rid of theirs ��
Jouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:03 AM   #28788
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Gratz @R3NIK

Sorry you broke the IM bolt. I swear the bolts / studs on this car are soft or something. haha
R3NIK (02-15-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #28789
JesseE

Drives: LS Swapped BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Nice! did you get your tune yet?
JesseE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #28790
R3NIK

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE View Post
Nice! did you get your tune yet?
Yes, from Moto-East. They keep screwing things up, though. First tune only had 3 of the 4 maps I requested. Second tune had 4, but valet mode was enabled on map 1. Third revision removed valet mode but the RaceROM features on map 2 aren't there. I emailed Mike again this morning to have him verify everything before I try the ethanol maps.
Also need to find a shop to drill out that sheered bolt. Think JDL or Vivid would be up for that? Or perhaps GoodSpeed since they're in Scottsdale by me? I don't have any manifold pressure leaks with 6 out of 7 bolts tightenend(3 on each side, one 7/8" front bolt), but I don't want to leave it like this for long.
I also thought I might be running into an issue since my Torque app was only showing a little less than 6 psi (peak should be 8), but it appears the OEM MAP sensor is limited there. I'll need to buy a 2.5 or 3 bar MAP sensor to get proper readings.
Having real torque in the car is nice. Love seeing traction control freak out when up shifting
Old 02-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #28791
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3NIK View Post
Yes, from Moto-East. They keep screwing things up, though. First tune only had 3 of the 4 maps I requested. Second tune had 4, but valet mode was enabled on map 1. Third revision removed valet mode but the RaceROM features on map 2 aren't there. I emailed Mike again this morning to have him verify everything before I try the ethanol maps.
Also need to find a shop to drill out that sheered bolt. Think JDL or Vivid would be up for that? Or perhaps GoodSpeed since they're in Scottsdale by me? I don't have any manifold pressure leaks with 6 out of 7 bolts tightenend(3 on each side, one 7/8" front bolt), but I don't want to leave it like this for long.
I also thought I might be running into an issue since my Torque app was only showing a little less than 6 psi (peak should be 8), but it appears the OEM MAP sensor is limited there. I'll need to buy a 2.5 or 3 bar MAP sensor to get proper readings.
Having real torque in the car is nice. Love seeing traction control freak out when up shifting
GoodSpeed = awesomesauce.
OEM reads ~6.7PSI at our atmospheric pressure iirc.
Just a tip: You may want valet on map #1. Your car might remember what map it is on today but never, ever expect it to remember it will randomly forget and default back to 1... Especially if you have an ethanol map on one map and a pump gas on another. Example scenario: if you give someone your car on valet mode and they key cycle it may switch back to map 1 on you. My own personal car remembers 1/10 times what map it is on. I have tuned 2-3 people's cars that 9/10 times it remembers but usually only 10-30% of the time seems average. There is no code in ecutek designed to store the map you were last on, it just depends on when the internal memory of the ecu clears which depends on a lot of electrical factors...
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #28792
R3NIK

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
GoodSpeed = awesomesauce.
OEM reads ~6.7PSI at our atmospheric pressure iirc.
Just a tip: You may want valet on map #1. Your car might remember what map it is on today but never, ever expect it to remember it will randomly forget and default back to 1... Especially if you have an ethanol map on one map and a pump gas on another. Example scenario: if you give someone your car on valet mode and they key cycle it may switch back to map 1 on you. My own personal car remembers 1/10 times what map it is on. I have tuned 2-3 people's cars that 9/10 times it remembers but usually only 10-30% of the time seems average. There is no code in ecutek designed to store the map you were last on, it just depends on when the internal memory of the ecu clears which depends on a lot of electrical factors...
I'll have to get into the habit of checking my map on start up until I get flex fuel. Good to know.
Are you still actively tuning? Dyno access? I've heard your name mentioned but haven't met you since I'm still somewhat new to the 86 club.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #28793
Celadrielas

Quote:
Think JDL or Vivid would be up for that? Or perhaps GoodSpeed since they're in Scottsdale by me?
Companies that I looked into... JDL will do it. They will take about 1 business day to get it done.

CMA Machining in chandler will do it in about an hour or two.

Both require the parts to be completely removed from vehicle, at least for the exhaust.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #28794
Campo

Drives:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I'll have to get into the habit of checking my map on start up until I get flex fuel. Good to know.
Are you still actively tuning? Dyno access? I've heard your name mentioned but haven't met you since I'm still somewhat new to the 86 club.
Definitely have @nelsmar help you out. I have no idea how many times he's reflashed my car trying to get the throttle to be just exactly how I like it. I'm a high maintenance bitch, and he's great to work with.

And yes, Always double check what map you are on at startup if you're not flex-fueled or always running map 1. I actually had Marin make my map 1 be the E85 tune since that's all I run 100% of the time for the past 12k miles, but when I go out of town and can only get 91 octane, I always have to remember to switch maps at startup to my gas map.
Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #28795
TilesMeague

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campo View Post
Definitely have @nelsmar help you out. I have no idea how many times he's reflashed my car trying to get the throttle to be just exactly how I like it. I'm a high maintenance bitch, and he's great to work with.

And yes, Always double check what map you are on at startup if you're not flex-fueled or always running map 1. I actually had Marin make my map 1 be the E85 tune since that's all I run 100% of the time for the past 12k miles, but when I go out of town and can only get 91 octane, I always have to remember to switch maps at startup to my gas map.
I've heard before that the car doesn't do well with both e85 and 91 in the same tank. Is this not true? Or do you just manage to completely drain the tank before you put 91 in?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #28796
nelsmar

Quote:
Yes, Yes, and hi :P I have been busy and just haven't made it out to many meets as of late =( I thought about coming out this week as it has been a while. We will see how the week goes though... =x
Old 02-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #28797
Celadrielas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campo View Post

Speaking of... I need to get the listing of where to get E85 from, or get the App that you're using. Gas Buddy doesn't have it and you never come to meets anymore.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #28798
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilesMeague View Post
I've heard before that the car doesn't do well with both e85 and 91 in the same tank. Is this not true? Or do you just manage to completely drain the tank before you put 91 in?
This depends on your tune... I usually recommend this to people:

A) Drive lightly on first tank while switching to another fuel time.
B) Drive tank down until light comes on, reset MPG & Trip meter, drive 1-2 gallons of fuel (depending on next step). If you have time pump 1-2 gallons of desired fuel, drive lightly / normally until 2-3 gallons is consumed, then fill tank this works great! By mixing a couple of gallons in with whatever is left in the tank you will dilute quite a bit of the mixture and burn through it very quick. Then when filling up with a full tank of the fuel you desire you will have such a small % of the old fuel it is okay. I have also tuned specific maps that will run a little extra rich to help burn unwanted fuel from one or the other maps with safe to drive timing.

In reality as long as your nice on it for your first fuel up, even if its only a few gallons and you keep out of WOT the fuel trims will compensate enough to allow you to burn through it. If you are switching more than once a week it is obviously easier to install a flex sensor, and allows for a tune that is dialed in more because you don't have to tune around the idea of winter / summer blends swinging your AFR / octane rating. The octane rating is really meh not a big deal on NA cars, and more so on forced induction. Pump E85 actually swings a lot more ethanol content per fill up than you might expect...
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
TilesMeague (02-16-2015)

Tags
arizona, fr-s, mesa, phoenix, scion, tucson, we need a subforum