follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #211
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I hope they consider a joint venture with another company.... No one expected the remake of the Æ86 to be built by Toyota & Subaru. 1 company trying to take on a joint OP. Between two other very reputable companies? Goodluck Nissan..try getting honda in on your side then that will help with the realization of production.

The design might change as well. Personally the fact that it looks similar to the old 510 doesn't sit right with me. The GT86 has stylings from the 2000GT not the Æ86...I agree with whoever said scrap this concept and make an S16 concept.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #212
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
I hope they consider a joint venture with another company.... No one expected the remake of the Æ86 to be built by Toyota & Subaru. 1 company trying to take on a joint OP. Between two other very reputable companies? Goodluck Nissan..try getting honda in on your side then that will help with the realization of production.

The design might change as well. Personally the fact that it looks similar to the old 510 doesn't sit right with me. The GT86 has stylings from the 2000GT not the Æ86...I agree with whoever said scrap this concept and make an S16 concept.
They don't need to consider anything partnership, they already have their group: Infinity-Nissan-Renault-Daimler.

There is absolutely no problem with building a small sportscar as Alpine (Renault), Nissan (Datsun?) and Mercedes (SLA). But they won't, they prefer building SUVs.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-17-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #213
Tank
Mumbler

Drives: Sensibly
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I think it is retro in a similar way the current American muscle cars are. They really should build it and give this paint scheme a quirky name like Oliver.

Last edited by Tank; 07-24-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Decided against the Oxford comma.
Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #214
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I think Nissan (and Kia for their GT4 Stinger) may be having second thoughts when they look at the perceived drop in interest in the Twins.
I suspect the main reason for doing this was because of the massive interest the Twins generated - they didn't want to miss the party.

Now it looks like the party wasn't much of a party from a business perspective (those of us already in the party are thoroughly enjoying ourselves, mind you).
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #215
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Looks just as stupid as it did when they first showed the concept..

Still not a fan.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (07-25-2014), gymratter (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #216
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I think Nissan (and Kia for their GT4 Stinger) may be having second thoughts when they look at the perceived drop in interest in the Twins.
I suspect the main reason for doing this was because of the massive interest the Twins generated - they didn't want to miss the party.

Now it looks like the party wasn't much of a party from a business perspective (those of us already in the party are thoroughly enjoying ourselves, mind you).
A small affordable sports car a niche market. Toyota owns most of that market together with the MX-5. No place for rivals, because if place, low sales for all so not profitable. IMO sports car should not be profitable, just not make any loss.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #217
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Its ok, this way theres less competition for the twins
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #218
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
Its ok, this way theres less competition for the twins

Less competition is never a good thing. Companies get lazy and complacent when they don't have to worry about competitors.

If you're a GT86 fanboi who doesn't want to see it wither on the vine over the next ten years with little to no updates, like the Mazda RX-8 or Honda NSX, then you should want more competition not less.
juliog (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #219
gymratter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
Less competition is never a good thing. Companies get lazy and complacent when they don't have to worry about competitors.

If you're a GT86 fanboi who doesn't want to see it wither on the vine over the next ten years with little to no updates, like the Mazda RX-8 or Honda NSX, then you should want more competition not less.
Lol less competition is never good? yeah let's recall the 90's when the Japanese flooded the market with sports cars.

FD RX7: rip
300ZX: rip
3000GT: rip
MK4 Supra: rip

RX8 had competition, it was called the 350z. NSX? How about the 911 and the rest of the competitors from Europe?

With or without competitors, Tada San has said the car will get yearly updates and that he is hoping for some kind of power bump for a mid cycle

If Nissan and Honda were to enter this market couldn't that mean sales of the twins maybe affected? with less sales that would only mean FRS/BRZ going rip.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #220
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
To be fair, those cars were all comparatively high-priced near-supercars because of the cutting edge technology they had.
Coupled with the economic turmoil in Japan, exchange rate fluctuations and increasingly stringent emissions, they simply could not survive at those prices.

I don't think it was competition that killed them - they just couldn't survive in that environment.

Conversely, the Integra, Celica, Eclipse/Talon twins etc. did pretty well at that time.
The difference was the price point (and I note: factoring in inflation, the Toyobaru twins are actually amazingly cheap - definitely less than the last RSX-S and Celica GT-S).

Methinks the RX8 was done in by the MPGs and relatively high-maintenance rotary engine, and not competition.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #221
BadBRZ
Banned

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
this is a good example of the one time i'll love the production version over the concept. the concept is just too edgey and needs to be toned down
BadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #222
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
left Nissan USA a note

Quote:
To whom it may concern

Dear Nissan,

I'm writing you due to several recent posts that indicated that you who be re-thinking the release of the IDx concept.

I don't mean any disrespect by bringing this up. And I know you don't comment on rumor or speculation. So I'll just say this.

I believe the IDx could be something wonderful. It's a small coupe that looks great, just like the Toyota 86. And just like the 86, it looks to be affordable, which is fantastic for car people.

Nissan fans in the US adore the S-chassis cars (the 240sx, the Japanese 180sx and Silvias) and many have been clamoring for something along that line for a long time now. I think you may have it with the IDx.

What I think you need do to make it a success is

1. Promote it through Motorsport, namely drifting (many Nissan fans adore drifting).

2. Use the Jukes's MR16DDT as the engine (the fact that you're offering a factory turbo will entice would-be buyers of the 86/FR-S).

3. If IDx doesn't stick, then call it the 160sx (hitting the nostalgia bug for old owners of the 240sx).

4. Keep the price below $25k (which shouldn't be hard as the Juke ranges from $19k-$26k).

5. Make it "plucky" surprise the people, by making it it very responsive, agile, and fun. if you can get would-be buyers to smile during test drives, then you would've done your jobs.

I believe the IDx can not-only work, but excel with flying colors.

You just have to try.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter,

I believe competition is a good thing. and the IDx is the prefect candidate.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #223
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisPrime909 View Post
left Nissan USA a note

I believe competition is a good thing. and the IDx is the prefect candidate.
We agree, and are sending similar notes.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #224
gymratter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
To be fair, those cars were all comparatively high-priced near-supercars because of the cutting edge technology they had.

Coupled with the economic turmoil in Japan, exchange rate fluctuations and increasingly stringent emissions, they simply could not survive at those prices.

I don't think it was competition that killed them - they just couldn't survive in that environment.

Conversely, the Integra, Celica, Eclipse/Talon twins etc. did pretty well at that time.

The difference was the price point (and I note: factoring in inflation, the Toyobaru twins are actually amazingly cheap - definitely less than the last RSX-S and Celica GT-S).

Methinks the RX8 was done in by the MPGs and relatively high-maintenance rotary engine, and not competition.
yes they did cost more. i give you that. but i wouldnt put the twins in the same class with those fwd cars. market wise, it kinda sits in where the MR2 left off. its funny because all of those cars that you listed also got discontinued

one reason why the RX8 was dropped was because of its MPG. Mazda is reported to be working on a new rotary that will boost MPG by like 20% or so.

the main point is i guess we can kinda debate the small stuff all day. but when it comes down to it the twins are a niche product. if Nissan and or Honda were to enter this segment sales will most likely be stolen. Toyota will have less of the pie if you will, and with poor sales lend to discontinuation. i believe one of many reasons why the twins are doing good to decent in terms of sales is because the only other import that kinda competes i guess would be the MX-5 Miata (and some would say the FWD Si).

don't get me wrong, i welcome competition. but sales and shares maybe lost and than maybe no 2nd gen twins