follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
MaXimus
Meh!

Drives: Satin White, 86, Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Upgrade Shocks - RSR Morimoto spec i sport coilovers vs RCE Tarmac 0/2

Hi Guys,

Going to keep it simple since I don't seem to get the response I'm looking for and I'm sure first post will probably be " Get KW's" please refrain, I didn't ask that.

So I'm running RCE Yellow springs and I'm looking to get better damping as far as I'm aware. Either upgrade to Koni shocks or considering I couldn't find a comparison between the RSR and RCE coilovers. which are better and why plus is it worth the $500 increase for Tarmac 2. Also I live in Dubai so doubt how good they are in regards to service because you can call them up and go for a BBQ is relevant.

Cheers!

Sam
RAYS TE37V 17X9 / MICHELIN 245/40/R17 / KW V3 / RACESENG TOP HATS / MOTUL 5.1 + BRAIDED LINES / FERODO DS2500 BRAKE PADS / NEXUS 7 IN DASH / VDS UEL HEADERS / CRAWFORD POWER BLOCKS/ K&N DROP IN FILTER / Custom 3 inch header back catless exhaust / Varex 3in Muffler / HT AUTO LIP KIT / VALENTI TAIL LIGHTS / MORIMOTO PROJECTOR + HID.
MaXimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXimus View Post
Hi Guys,

Going to keep it simple since I don't seem to get the response I'm looking for and I'm sure first post will probably be " Get KW's" please refrain, I didn't ask that.

So I'm running RCE Yellow springs and I'm looking to get better damping as far as I'm aware. Either upgrade to Koni shocks or considering I couldn't find a comparison between the RSR and RCE coilovers. which are better and why plus is it worth the $500 increase for Tarmac 2. Also I live in Dubai so doubt how good they are in regards to service because you can call them up and go for a BBQ is relevant.

Cheers!

Sam
A user on here in Dubai I think has the RSR coilovers... @ultra. Worth chatting with him for some first hand feedback.

I'm not too familiar with them, but my impression from seeing a few reviews and from Moto Miwa's posts on here is that they are a good street coilover not necessarily intended for the track. Naturally you can track the car stock, but....

Our RCE T2s are a little more hardcore. A little more track oriented with firmer spring rates and lots of usable damping available (i.e. not overly stiff for the sake of being stiff). They're 2 way damping adjustable, so you do have flexibility and they do ride very well on the street. You can really dial them in (and we can help you with that, even from here).

I've got a lot of family in Dubai and Sharjah...I'll be out there for a BBQ one of these days.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Ask @Jive Turkey how he feels about KWs.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
MaXimus
Meh!

Drives: Satin White, 86, Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the detailed response Andy, Miles pretty much have me a one liner when I emailed you guys. I've driven Ultras car and that's all I have as reference. I gotta admit I love his setup. I guess ultimately I'm trying to understand the 500$ difference.

Cheers

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
A user on here in Dubai I think has the RSR coilovers... @ultra. Worth chatting with him for some first hand feedback.

I'm not too familiar with them, but my impression from seeing a few reviews and from Moto Miwa's posts on here is that they are a good street coilover not necessarily intended for the track. Naturally you can track the car stock, but....

Our RCE T2s are a little more hardcore. A little more track oriented with firmer spring rates and lots of usable damping available (i.e. not overly stiff for the sake of being stiff). They're 2 way damping adjustable, so you do have flexibility and they do ride very well on the street. You can really dial them in (and we can help you with that, even from here).

I've got a lot of family in Dubai and Sharjah...I'll be out there for a BBQ one of these days.

- Andy
RAYS TE37V 17X9 / MICHELIN 245/40/R17 / KW V3 / RACESENG TOP HATS / MOTUL 5.1 + BRAIDED LINES / FERODO DS2500 BRAKE PADS / NEXUS 7 IN DASH / VDS UEL HEADERS / CRAWFORD POWER BLOCKS/ K&N DROP IN FILTER / Custom 3 inch header back catless exhaust / Varex 3in Muffler / HT AUTO LIP KIT / VALENTI TAIL LIGHTS / MORIMOTO PROJECTOR + HID.
MaXimus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaXimus For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I'd describe the $500 difference as being an extra level of adjustability, capability and quality versus the RS*R Sports-i coil overs on my car.

The RS*Rs work great 'out of the box' for aa good price. They're an 'easy' option and pretty capable at handling everything I've asked them to do (daily driving, fast road driving, auto cross, circuit work and hoonage).

The RCE T2s, if well set up, would probably give me an extra edge on the track though, while riding better on the road. The RS*Rs reach the edge on their comfort envelope when cornering very hard on rough or uneven road surfaces and they do pretty dang well on the track and that's that.

With something like the RCE T2s I could tune the car in such a way as to absorb the bumps better. If I were competing I could dial them in just-so to shave another few tenths off my times at the track by playing with the valving and different spring rates if needed, without exceeding the envelope that the dampers are designed for.

With the RCE T2s you're also getting slightly beefier KWV3 Clubsport hardware for the same price as regular KWV3s, which isn't a bad deal.

If you're OK with putting in a little more work on the setup with the higher end coil overs you'll definitely see better results and if those better results and adjustability are worth $500 to then there you go. There's a bit of a learning curve involved in appreciating the difference as well though, mind you. Source - I've run KWV3s before on another car.

If you're still uncertain at this point then I'd suggest RS*Rs or Tarmac Zeros or something similar that's good quality and works 85-90% as well 'out of the box' for most people.

HTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXimus View Post
Thanks for the detailed response Andy, Miles pretty much have me a one liner when I emailed you guys. I've driven Ultras car and that's all I have as reference. I gotta admit I love his setup. I guess ultimately I'm trying to understand the 500$ difference.

Cheers

Sam
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ultra For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (05-22-2014), MaXimus (05-21-2014), Racecomp Engineering (05-20-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Ask @Jive Turkey how he feels about KWs.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Your avatar looks like 'Dive Turkey', Evan.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Funny username lol

"he a jiive turkey"
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilovers, koni, rce, rsr, shocks